What's new

Mini Rant: 8 Mile and The Osbournes Censored (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you make an interesting point mark but i wonder...does it really get more shelf space?

if best buy is gong to order 200 copies of 8 mile if only one version is made then how many more will they order of 4 versions?

will they they still order 200? just several different combos of all 4 versions adding up to 200?

i'm only using 200 as an example change the total to 500 or whatever.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This is ridiculous because when DVD was coming out one of its main features was the ability to put multiple versions of the same movie on one disc. I still don't get why there's 2 versions of Osbournes when one has both soundtracks and the other only has the censored track. FOUR versions of any title is overkill in the extreme- for 8 Mile they should have just had a widescreen edition with uncensored extras and a pan and scan version with censored or no extras or with both WS and PS on the same disc.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
if best buy is gong to order 200 copies of 8 mile if only one version is made then how many more will they order of 4 versions?
I don't think it matters on how many they order, it matters as to how much is put out on the floor. Don't they put a cretain amount out at a time? If the shelf allows (for example) 10 copies at one time, then 190 get stored in back. If there are 4 versions, then 40 get put out on the floor and 160 stay in storage. 1 version or 4, the stores would still order 200 total, but the 4 version would get more "Viewings" by taking up 4 times as much floor space.

Again, I'm only assuming that these DVD stores do the same as supermarkets. I would think that 4 different versions of a movie would get more advertising just by the fact that it takes up 4 times as much space on the shelves as single version movies.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Why are people getting upset over a studio offering consumers more choices? Since when did that become a bad thing? I could understand howls of protest if only the censored versions were being released but - damn! Chill out. Why does it bother those who want the uncensored versions that the censored ones exist? Because in some abstract way these multiple releases don't make sense? Folks if you're going to get upset every time another human being or group of human beings does something that doesn't make any sense to you, you're all going to have strokes or coronaries before you're 30.

Buy what you like, let others buy what they like. Oh, and think about switching to decaf for awhile. :)

Regards,

Joe

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's true in the food industry, but not really in video. Places will mix the 2 together under one facing anyway

It's basically to provide a false sense of security that you're watching out for the children blah blah

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I think getting all mad because some people may actually prefer a Widescreen, censored Eminem is what's silly. You are pretending to know what offends them and deciding whether it should or not. Maybe they like other things about Eminem besides the fact that he can say a lot of cuss words.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Maybe they like other things about Eminem besides the fact that he can say a lot of cuss words.
Ummm, I thought being offensive was what Eminem was all about...it's his way of getting your attention so you'll pay attention to some of his (few) valid points. Sure don't see him as a role model, though getting rich any way you can is often seen as a good thing. Personally I don't much agree with Eminem or what he stands for, but I liked the movie and I do like some of his music. And it's true that the bleeps don't really hide what was being said. I just think watching censored 8 Mile is burying your head in the said, more than enough already of that around these days. Could be why the release was done that way...I still think it's more political than marketing. *Everybody* knows what Eminem is about, he continually makes sure we don't forget.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ok, 8 Mile I can see why you're upset, but the Osbournes???

I would think that EVERYONE on this board should be more outraged with the uncensored Osbourne DVD than the censored one.

I mean, how many times do we hear about people wanting OAR. People even want the Original Star Wars without the "Episode 4" text! Why should they feel any different with sound? The Osbournes aired with the bleeps so why would you not want them on the DVD? ;) You find it appalling to have P&S, yet you don't mind when there's a change to your benefit (i.e. removing the bleeps)? You can't have it both ways.

If you want OAR then you should also want OAS (Originally Aired Soundtrack)

I have a feeling that people are just complaining to complain.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The Osbournes was only shown in USA with bleeps, but was televised in other parts of the world bleep-free.

Buying the Uncensored version allows you to enjoy the program either way; with or without bleeps.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, I'm not complaining, I bought/will buy the WS/uncensored, they both are/were very cheap here (and I got a "free" 100% cotton Ozzy T thrown in too, so the puke will easily wash out). I just thought it was stupid with 8 Mile. Things that seem stupid get me going. This is the only stupid DVD-related thing that got me going yesterday. Other boards get my comments about the stupid things that tick me off that are related to their topics. Stupid things make me laugh, so don't take me too seriously, sometimes I just want to find out if there's a non-stupid reason for something...this was a rant after all, and now it's degenerating into somewhat intelligent discussion :)

I guess I should slightly contradict my original comment about 4 versions, in that Reservoir Dogs had 4, though they were all the same version really, just different covers. I never noticed this re-release got much shelf space up here, possibly because it wasn't totally new, but that idea about more versions commanding more shelf space could have some merit. However, at the mass marketers like Wal-Mart, they always put up one of those cardboard booths that's loaded with discs for major new releases, so I don't think shelf space enters into the 8 Mile equation. 8 Mile is their featured release for this week, so it'll get the big display. Shelf space might make a difference at other retailers like Best Buy though. I think what 4 versions is going to mean is more returns; I was told once at W-M that they get tons of returns by people who bought the wrong version when there's only WS/P&S to choose from, have done it myself a few times a long time ago.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Bah, watching the Osbournes without the bleeps wouldn't be NEARLY as funny... I mean, when Ozzy says something like "That's a bleep bleep bleepin cattle bleep bleep!" I think I can sleep better NOT knowing what he really said :)

Not that I imagine the rewatchability of those DVD's is all that great...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
John, That reminds me of the South Park talks about leaving the bleeps in. When Kyle yells (to the aliens) at the end of "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe", it wouldn't be as funny if there weren't any bleeps.

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
I don't even think 8 mile will get that much shelf space. I know alot of places are keeping their copies behind the counters due to the fact they believe it has a high risk of being stolen. But what do I know, I'm just a silly kid with silly ideas.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone ever think that 4 versions of 8 Mile is a way of getting people to talk about it? I mean, would there be this much talk about 8 Mile if it were released only 1 way? ;)

Someone once said that there are so many DVD titles coming out that studios are doing anything they can to "Stand Out" amongst the others. What better way to stand out than to issue 4 versions! Even though the talk may be negative, it still generates talk which may turn people on to it (that otherwise may have already forgoteen that the movie comes out tomorrow), and that always = $$$$

p.s. I just noticed on Amazon that the uncensored versions say (Censored Bonus Features), so does that mean the movie isn't censored??? Just the bonus features???? And also, the censored versions are almost $3.00 more :eek:

This brings up a totally NEW discussion...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the only thing censored on that version of the dvd is the extra features.

but the extra features would only be rated r for language and some nudity.
same as the actual movie.
the movie is rated r and is not intended for young teenaGERS. the uncensored parts are only on the extras.

the uncensored extras are only uncensored likely because it's not a movie so wasnt submitted for a rating.

r rating on the movie was for all the language.
the extras would likely have an r rating too due to graphic language and also nudity in the music video.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
sorry to get off topic but...i like todd's quote (2nd post)...im gonna have to use that one! for example..."how's college going Chuck? need anything?" "well dad, Place your right index and middle fingers against your right thumb. Now, gently rub your thumb against those two fingers. That's what it's all about."

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I just noticed that too, some places here are selling the censored 8 Mile versions for Cdn$5-6 more. Ahhh, morality has a price...but not at Wal-Mart and Best Buy, the bastions of decency.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the uncensored DVD has the uncensored video.
i said basically that in the post right over yours mark.when i mentioned that it has nudity in it.

i think what several have siad must be true.
it's all about marketing.

also to add...if eminem wasnt in this movie, if it was just another , any old rapper there would not even be much discussion on this movie.

it was good but really wasnt any big deal of a movie.

but with eminem it becomes a big media and marketing gimmick.

richardWI

Second Unit
I'm glad both versions of The Osbournes are availible; I prefer the censored version. The bleeps are funnier to me for whatever reason... The first and possibly last time I've wanted a censored DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks