What's new

Mike and Molly season 1 (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I watched the first episode last week... but haven't watched this last night's episode yet. Seemed pretty good going by the one episode. I am guessing it is something I won't get into too much... but we will see.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The second episode was more funny than not. The comedic timing and delivery between Mike and his cop partner is pretty good.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Molly flying high on allergy medicine was something to behold, and Mike's deadpan, calm reactions were perfect.

That nose hair's been driving me crazy all night long!!

And I love that Swoozie Kurtz's character is pretty close to her Aunt Lily from Pushing Daisies. Different house, and minus the eyepatch and shotgun, but it's Lily!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I don't really know what to do with this show. Halfway through the pilot, the fat jokes got stale, and they didn't really let up for episode two. But I like the leads a lot -- they're both veteran character actors who've been around the block, and I've liked them in everything they've done (well, with the exception of Samantha Who? -- that was just terrible). I mean, I like a good fat joke every now and then, but the frequency is almost oppressive, and I like the actors enough that I kind of feel bad that they have to deliver that kind of material.

This is one of those shows that's on my DVR because I record the Mon 8-10 CBS block, so if I have the time I might watch again. Or I might not.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Since I'm hefty, I don't mind the oppressive amount of fat jokes. For me, it's the delivery that makes the jokes work.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No one's posted here since September...that says something about M&M.

I started watching at a friend's recommendation a few episodes in. It's a Tivo season pass for now, but I have mixed feelings about the show (and my wife has increasing dislike), Mike and Molly are solid, sympathetic characters. I enjoy them. It's everything else that detracts.

Watching a sitcom romance of two "normal" people -- atypically non-Hollywood -- is a nice change of pace. And watching two characters with some charisma and chemistry between them is the start of a good show. They do a good job of both doling out the humor and being the brunt of it. Mike and Molly work for me. I enjoy their story and want to see more.

But the rest of the show leaves me cool. The writing is Two and Half Men vulgar, which works for the outrageously vulgur Charlie Harper and his wholly banal family (except even there it's becoming tiresomely crass and mean-spirited), but it doesn't work for me with "normal" middle class folks. The writing for the supporting characters feels unnatural -- they talk like they're being written by witty sitcom writers.

And then Molly's family: the anexoric red-headed Irish mom, the voluptuous Italian sister, and then rotund middle-American Molly. It's completely unnatural: it's a family created by witty sitcom writers, seemingly disconnected from any other family I've known. And the mom and the sister, and Mike's mom, are each more vulgar than the last.

But when it gets back to Mike and Molly, I always like it. And while Pete is given too much weird, sitcommy, and needlessly homo-erotic dialog, I like his relationship with Mike,

I'm not sure I'll stick with it. There are few good sitcoms, and I like to have 30 min shows to watch at night in bed. M&M has a lot of fun. But it pushes me away all the same with its need to be offensive for no good reason.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I did have a Season Pass for this at the beginning of the season, but removed it when it continued just to be a barrage of fat jokes. Also, I think Molly is kind of a bitch. She seems to always be pissed off about something Mike has done (or not done).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks