What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
To be fair, the presentation quality of the films are excellent. Calling this set "Ultimate" but not including most of the previously available special features is not anywhere near "ultimate."
I disagree regading the presentation quality, It leaves a lot to be desired on big screens and at close seating distances. Because of the issues I switched back to the extended edition Blu-rays after watching the first LOTR movie in HDR.

Agreed on the extras - just don't call it ultimate if you aren't willing to include them all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree regading the presentation quality, It leaves a lot to be desired on big screens and at close seating distances. Because of the issues I switched back to the extended edition Blu-rays after watching the first LOTR movie in HDR.

Agreed on the extras - just don't call it ultimate if you aren't willing to include them all.
In fairness to this reviewer, your opinion appears to be in the minority, as most people commenting across the net think the video presentations are fine, even those with big screens.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
In fairness to this reviewer, your opinion appears to be in the minority, as most people commenting across the net think the video presentations are fine, even those with big screens.
That's probably true. I tend to be a bit more picky with certain parameters as I sit closer than most (about 12.5 ft from 12ft screen at that time). I actually was looking forward to watch all three LOTR movies in HDR so it's not like I started watching the first one looking for issues.

I have a not so high tolerance for filtering and EE and especially not for both combined so this probably worked against me. The HDR grading was satisfying and so were the colors but I could not get over the lack of textures that was even more visible due to the futile attempt to mask the filtering with some sharpening.

I would guess that at two screen widths away it might have been much less of an issue but that's not where we sit when watching a big movie in UHD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No extras
No 3D

Not really ultimate
When the set drops to $100 that seems to be a deal
There will be tons of these next Prime Day 2022 discounted next to nothing, if not earlier. Then and only then would I ever consider. No one wants this- it’s universally reviled. Especially after what Peter Jackson promised.
Next Prime Day it might be cheaper, but it's $169.99 on Best Buy and Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks