What's new

MGM's Midnite Movies Are Back . . . Well, Kind Of (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
This is news I had been aware of for some time now, and was keeping it to myself because I was asked to by a couple of people, one of them being a PR Person from MGM, well, as you know MGM is back in the MOD business, but you'll notice none of the new crop of MOD's have that distinctive Midnite Movies logo, or any kind of recognizable packaging at all, on them.

Then, George Reis (DVDDrive-In.com) informs me of an MGM e-mail newsletter he got indicating that DIARY OF A MADMAN, ROLLING THUNDER and FUTUREWORLD are supposed to be Midnite Movies. Oh, really?! Yup, at least, that's what he tells me, just sans packaging to indicate as such. Well, in one regards it's nice to have these movies on disc, finally, in their correct aspect ratios, but without that iconic Midnite Movies packaging I'm hesitant, with a capital H, to call them Midnite Movies.

So, people, make of that what you will. Does that mean that THE AMBULANCE and QUEEN OF BLOOD are Midnite Movies, too? Couldn't tell ya one way, or the other. It's disappointing in one regard, but on the other hand, QUEEN OF BLOOD is out in LBX form. Sure do miss that packaging, though.

Weigh in with all your two cents below, and we'll get this shindig started.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I would love to own Futureworld. But not on DVD-R. Never gonna do it!

But for those that do not mind, i am happy for them.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
If you can play region 2 discs and don't mind the PAL speed-up, in Europe, Futureworld has been released both in the UK and Germany as a pressed disc.

Originally Posted by RickER

I would love to own Futureworld. But not on DVD-R. Never gonna do it!

But for those that do not mind, i am happy for them.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel H.
If you can play region 2 discs and don't mind the PAL speed-up, in Europe, Futureworld has been released both in the UK and Germany as a pressed disc.

I ordered Futureworld from Ama UK, it's on the way and anamorphic according to the specs at at UK Review site. That's why I passed on the DVD-R release here as PAL doesn't bother me at all.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Uh, what a flippin let down............no these are NOT Midnite Movies despite the PR spin of an MGM newsletter.

Rolling Thunder is a genuine cult classic (a term used way too loosely on the internet) and deserves a Blu-ray release, not the bottom of the barrel DVD-R treatment!

Diary and Futureword also deserve better. A pressed anamorphic NTSC DVD at the very least.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Interesting, since I posted this news, look what pops up elsewhere on the web:

SHOCK TILL YOU DROP: Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is releasing three new genre titles to DVD this month, utilizing its "manufacturing on demand" program. These DVDs will be part of the MGM Limited Edition Collection and available from their favorite online retailer. The three are arriving under MGM's Midnite Movies umbrella which, in the past, has given us some awesome films on DVD.

The Black Sleep (1958): The masters of classic horror (Basil Rathbone, John Carradine, Bela Lugosi, and Lon Chaney, Jr.) gather together and meet in a spooky old house in which a crazed scientist creates frightening human mutants. Directed by Reginald LeBorg.

Daughters of Satan (1972): An antique dealer living in Manila falls victim to an ancient Satanic curse—the result of his wife joining a cult. Directed by Hollingsworth Morse.

Queen of Blood (1966): When an alien ship crash-lands on Mars, a rescue ship sent to look for survivors. They find just one: an alien vampire, who starts killing the crew by sucking their blood. Directed by Curtis Harrington.

These are available now!

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Well, that's cute and all but part of the attraction of the Midnight Movie line was the sheer value for all the shlocky fun. More often than not, I could get a double feature for 10 bucks or less. I just don't want these bad enough to pay those prices for that type of media. More power to them, though. I'm sure plenty of folks will bite. Of course then there's the self-fullfilling prophecy that these things just don't do well anymore, when folks like me who might have grabbed them beg off due to format.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Plus, they ain't Midnite Movies, until the packaging starts reflecting that I refuse to call these Midnite Movies. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks