What's new

Met Ken Burns today of Civil War Documentary Fame (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
My wife and I went into Philly (Central Library) to listen to a free talk by Ken Burns about his documentary experiences. I just thought you guys might find it interesting that one of the questions at the end of a 25 minute sampling of his work over the last 25 years was:
Are any of the documentaries available on DVD?
To which he laughed and said that he had a daughter he was putting through an Ivy League education and yes indeed all his major works including now 'The Civil War' are available in DVD and wouldn't it be nice if everyone would pick up a copy to facilitate her education. He also made a point about the digital remastering and the qualitative improvement over the previous broadcast and VHS release of the product (which I can definitely confirm :D ).
I later bought his companion book to the Civil War which I had him sign and told him that I not only had the set on DVD but had made it through watching more than half of it already in the upgraded medium. He just beemed with pride and was more than a little surprised since it just streeted a couple of days ago.
I guess I did my part for his daughter's education. ;)
Joel

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
How's the book?
The book is an excellent companion to the DVD. In other words it doesn't replicate the exact words found in the DVD's dialogue and adds depth to the material mostly found as photographs (all revealed on the excellent DVD transfer).

I highly recommend it (the book) and at a $29 pricepoint (retail) it is a very good buy. I'm sure that it can be found at some discount levels but I thought that the experience of exchanging views directly with Ken was worth the full price.

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks