What's new

Merged Thread: LOTR: ROTK - Theatrical & EE Release Dates? & DVD Features (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Has everyone seen what the Mouth of Sauron will look like?
SideshowToys.com has a picture of their bust up for sale, and he looks like an escapee from a Clive Barker Hellraiser film...in the best way.
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/c...449&type=store

I won't post the image so those of you who hate spoilers don't have to see The Mouth of Sauron prior to the DVD release.

December is getting harder to wait for!

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Any idea why they still haven't announced an official release date?

Are they still working on the extras?

Even if they are - there's no way they're going to release it after christmas.

So why not just name a release date so people can start preordering?

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
Hmmm...I can't say I'm crazy about how the Mouth or Sauron looks. He's Suaron's ambassador and public representative. Being hideous and disgusting would not help him negotiate unfair peace treaties with the countries that Sauron is at war with. I know that Jackson and Co. want to physically portray Sauron's depravity, but they have the orcs to do that. The Mouth of Sauron should be different.

But, I can live with it. The only extended scene that I'm looking forward to more than the MoS is the Gandalf / Morgul Lord confrontation.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit

When the captains of the west confront him at the Black Gate, Sauron does try to negotiate peace via the Mouth of Sauron, although the terms he offers are so unfair that it's unlikely that he is sincere. The point is that Sauron does put on a facade of diplomacy on occasion, and his diplomat is not a monster with blood dripping from his fangs, but an intelligent, well-spoken, albeit arrogant, man.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ben,
That book version of The Mouth of Sauron doesn't sound very visually cinematic though, does he? In the movie, the only person in Sauron's control that isn't hideous is Suruman, and neither he or the Easterlings are created by Sauron, but, particularly with the Easterlings, are more like independantly contracted employees.
:)

As for the Easterlings, in the films, I always presumed he got the Easterlings to go to war for him by him offering them either weath, power, or both.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit

I don't know, I think it could work. He doesn't have to be ugly for the audience to hate him and find him incredibly evil. Whenever I read that part in the book I react very strongly, but it's what the MoS says that makes him memorable, not what he looks like. I think his appearance should still be visually striking (I'm fine with the armor / helmet that Jackson gave him), however I think that the grotesqueness of his mouth area might detract from the effect that that scene has in the book.

I will reserve judgment until I see it though. I'm guessing that I'll like the scene, but will think that it would have been better if it stayed closer to the book, which is how I feel about a lot of Jackson's changes.

As for the Easterlings, in the book we see an example of how Sauron deals with other countries / socities when he sends a Ringwraith to the Dwarves in Dale (in a scene recounted by Gloin at the Council of Elrond). He uses a combination of threats and promises. We can assume that's how he gets the Haradrim and Easterlings to fight for him.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m.../05/11.35.film

David Wenham, who played Faramir in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming special extended-edition DVD of The Return of the King will feature deleted scenes that further develop his character. "It sort of shows that Faramir is probably the strongest member of the family," he said in an interview. "[There's] a scene with Denethor and Faramir where they talk about the ring of power, and Faramir is accused by his father of not being up to it by not actually taking the ring. And Faramir says, 'You don't know the power of this ring, and if Boromir had taken it, you wouldn't have known your son.'"

In another scene, which takes place in the houses of healing, the love story between Faramir and Eowyn (Miranda Otto) is further developed. "The other scene that I think is wonderful to have in the extended cut is the houses of healing," Wenham said. "To give the audience [the chance] to see Eowyn and Faramir come together. ... You sort of get the result. So it was implicit, the fact that something had happened since the last time you saw these two characters. So the audience gets the opportunity to see exactly what happened in the houses of healing." The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King special edition will be released in the fall.

DanFe

Second Unit
I like that scene with Faramir and Eowyn. Faramir is my favorite character in the movie and book.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
The Digital Bits has a picture of the packaging. It looks like a brighter shade of blue than I was expecting... not bad though, and it's hard to tell without knowing the lighting and such. I'd like to see a photo of it next to the FOTR and TTT EE's.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Still no announcement.

I know that other titles that will be released in December haven't been announced yet either - but for the first two parts we had the announcements a lot sooner than for normal DVDs.

Any idea why not for RotK?

Are they still unsure whether they'll manage to finish the DVDs in time for a December release?

MikeRR

Agent
Personally, I'd love to see this released on the 14th. Then again, I'm somewhat biased considering that's my birthday :). I can't wait for it no matter what day it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks