What's new

Memphis Beat - TNT (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Anyone watching this Jason Lee-starrer on TNT? It's entering it's third week on the air. So far, it's . . . okay. The cases have been pretty hokey, though Lee and Alfre Woodard are appealing in their lead roles. It's not something I'm dying to see every week, but it's better than The Good Guys and New Orleans looks pretty cool standing in for Memphis.

There was an article in Memphis with residents taking the show to task for having the lead be an Elvis impersonator by night. Thing is, he's not. At least, if he is, it hasn't been revealed thus far. At the end of the pilot, he gets up in a bar and sings an Elvis song. He doesn't dress like Elvis. He doesn't adopt the mannerisms. He *does* have the 'burns. But, he's just up singing the song. I think they're being a little hard on the show with that one.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I am enjoying this. Can't get over how different Jason Lee looks from his Earl days. The voice is unmistakenable tho and when he talks, I keep expecting him to refer to something on his list.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Mark_B

I am enjoying this. Can't get over how different Jason Lee looks from his Earl days. The voice is unmistakenable tho and when he talks, I keep expecting him to refer to something on his list.

Agreed. This is probably the first time I've seen him without the mustache, and would have not known it was him if not for his voice.

As for the show, I have to see more, as I've seen only 1 episode so far. But so far, it was enough to keep watching more episodes.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
I started watching this thru the tnt website this weekend so i got the first 3 episodes in one sitting and got caught up tonight before the new episode came on and im really liking this show. mainly because i just like jason lee after all the kevin smith movies he did and thru my name is earl, but even the supporting cast is good.

it reminds me a lot of castle, with the mystery/crime of the week but its still an enjoyable hour.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I discovered this show last week (like a number of others apparently). The cases haven't been the best, but they've all been about something interesting at the least (elderly abuse, spousal abuse... wait, I'm seeing a pattern here...) and the by-play between the characters and actors has been very good.

One thing that threw me though... the second episode seemed to fit better following the third. The cold open with Dwight and Alex in bed was a bit odd, since we'd not seen her before that point, and the third episode (with her catering to the police station) seemed like much more of an introduction to her.

I definitely like the soundtrack to the show -- there are some fantastic tunes hidden away in the background as the show ticks along.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Pretty good for a (yet another) police procedural. I like the characters, but I am dreading the appearance of 'formula' police drama plot points beginning to creep in.

Not bad - my wife and I have watched every week so far and have not been disappointed yet.

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Watched 2 episodes of the show via TNT's website.
I just so busy with my job that I can't catch it on TV. Ironically I got interested in the show when my job at a marketing firm got the campaign for Turner. I personally have enjoyed the show, especially the music and the main character, who I think Jason Lee does a great portraying.

This being the first season is a good sign I think, as shows like this typically get better as the run progresses

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I really liked the episode this week -- finally got to see it today (a bit busy with my soccer-based life and all). Really good twist at the end of it too. I actually googled what happened at the end with Dwight, and:

The whole thing with the $100 ripped in half? According to google? True story!

Learn a new thing every day I guess. Is this a 13 episode run, or longer? If so, last night's was the halfway point being episode 7.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Having just gotten around to watching, I can attest that the episodes were aired [according to their description on Dishnetwork] 1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 7, 6.

Originally Posted by AlexF

One thing that threw me though... the second episode seemed to fit better following the third. The cold open with Dwight and Alex in bed was a bit odd, since we'd not seen her before that point, and the third episode (with her catering to the police station) seemed like much more of an introduction to her.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Originally Posted by John_Lee

Having just gotten around to watching, I can attest that the episodes were aired [according to their description on Dishnetwork] 1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 7, 6.
Damn. We got them in the order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Well, I'm not sure about 6+7, since they seemed to play out in a logical order (and nothing really conflicting between the two that I noticed, so it might have been 7+6)

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
So, apparently this is a 10 episode season with next Tuesday's episode being the season finale.

Episode #9 was good, with Dwight's faith in the system starting to get a bit shaken over the last few episodes. One disappointment that I've got right now is that they seemed to be setting up the defense attorney to be a foil for Dwight, but she's vanished from the face of the map now.

Tuesday's episode did have a couple of good twists in it though, but I still don't get the whole

Cirque de Soleil and Sarajevo

reference/discussion bit. Undercover work, and all you get out of it is a conversation about that? Huh?

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
The season finale aired last night, with a cold case that had been bothering Hendricks for some time and a new shooting that appeared to be somehow related.

The season finale was a good one, good story, the whodunit was essentially revealed from the get-go, and the story was more about figuring out how to prove it than figuring out what happened. It also tied up a couple of smaller loose ends left lying around from earlier in the season, but left a few lying around for the future.

Highlight of the episode? Dwight's dream at the start... specifically the bit with Alfre Woodard in semi-undress.

I'm hoping that this gets picked up for a second season -- the use of music and its integration into the story and settings was always a lot of fun, and it presented a bunch of tunes I wasn't a big fan of in a totally new light as they were re-interpreted for the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks