What's new

Member Subcriptions (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Do we need to manually renew our yearly $12 subscription? I thought it was automatically done. I see ads now and the “supporter” banner is gone from my posts.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Do we need to manually renew our yearly $12 subscription? I thought it was automatically done. I see ads now and the “supporter” banner is gone from my posts.
I think it depends on how it was configured. Let me look at yours tomorrow and I will get back to you. Thanks for your support!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'll bump this thread since it's relatively recent and I have the same question.

I was a "Supporter" back when the program was first implemented, but my status has changed, too. Don't know when, but it's just recently come to my notice because of behavior on the mobile platform (see below).

I'm no expert on ad blockers, except that I know I used one for certain sites when I was on a Windows machine exclusively. Now I'm on a MacBook Pro using Safari. I don't believe I've added anything, so maybe it has built-in ad blocking I'm unaware of. (I'm still getting used to the whole changeover to a Mac, so there's probably plenty I'm not quite up on.)

Anyway, at this point, my desktop view of HTF on the Mac seems to be ad-free, or nearly so, and it's a pleasure to use. The mobile is a different story. On my iPad (also using Safari), reading HTF has unfortunately become an experience to tolerate, not an enjoyable one, partly due to certain pages jumping around like crazy with the ads loading (and partly due to a layout difference that we're discussing in "known issues").

So, there's a question on why the difference between platforms. But mainly, does my "Supporter" status need to be reinstated? Because I'd certainly want to continue being one! Let me know when you can. Thanks!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like mine expired with no notice as well. I'll pay now, as I think it has been a year, but it would be nice to get a notice.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I'll bump this thread since it's relatively recent and I have the same question.

I was a "Supporter" back when the program was first implemented, but my status has changed, too. Don't know when, but it's just recently come to my notice because of behavior on the mobile platform (see below).

I'm no expert on ad blockers, except that I know I used one for certain sites when I was on a Windows machine exclusively. Now I'm on a MacBook Pro using Safari. I don't believe I've added anything, so maybe it has built-in ad blocking I'm unaware of. (I'm still getting used to the whole changeover to a Mac, so there's probably plenty I'm not quite up on.)

Anyway, at this point, my desktop view of HTF on the Mac seems to be ad-free, or nearly so, and it's a pleasure to use. The mobile is a different story. On my iPad (also using Safari), reading HTF has unfortunately become an experience to tolerate, not an enjoyable one, partly due to certain pages jumping around like crazy with the ads loading (and partly due to a layout difference that we're discussing in "known issues").

So, there's a question on why the difference between platforms. But mainly, does my "Supporter" status need to be reinstated? Because I'd certainly want to continue being one! Let me know when you can. Thanks!

Plus a zillion on your comments about mobile and iPads. The ads are horribly intrusive, and some are obnoxiously offensive.

Having said that, I have been a member here since 1998.....how did I not know that I could upgrade my membership and lose most ads?

Sirs, you now have my $12. Hopefully, order is restored.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have the opposite question to Tino's from the beginning of the thread. I feel like manual renewal would be better for me.

Is there a way to pay for a membership on a year-by-year basis?

I went ahead and set up the recurring payment and that's fine. But I would rather get an email reminder every year a few days before the expiration date, and then send a one-time payment, rather than having it automatically recur every year.

I have no plans to go anywhere anytime soon, but let's say for the sake of argument that something tragic were to happen to me, or any other member. I wouldn't be alive to cancel my membership, so it would be left to my family members (who don't and shouldn't have access to this account) to stop the recurring charge after my passing. Knock on wood -- again, I have no expectation that I won't be around to pay next year -- but still.

Also, the account upgrades page offers a way to do a "gift upgrade" for someone else's account. Is there a way to do this as a one-off charge? Perhaps we would like to do a gift upgrade one time, and then let the recipient take over payments in subsequent years if they want to continue. I have personal friends here who might appreciate a gift upgrade, and I would consider that on a one-at-a-time basis, but I'm not sure I would want to commit to paying for them every year necessarily.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have the opposite question to Tino's from the beginning of the thread. I feel like manual renewal would be better for me.

Is there a way to pay for a membership on a year-by-year basis?

I went ahead and set up the recurring payment and that's fine. But I would rather get an email reminder every year a few days before the expiration date, and then send a one-time payment, rather than having it automatically recur every year.

I just got an email saying that "Parron Enterprises, LLC suspended your automatic payments", so I guess it is possible what you ask Jake, but I don't think they send out reminders. At least I didn't get one this year and don't expect one next year. Would be nice, though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think they send out reminders. At least I didn't get one this year and don't expect one next year. Would be nice, though.

I set Siri to remind me a few days before my next renewal date. So I'll remember before the automatic payment goes through. I would still like the option to do it manually every year, but this will work too.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Just noticed my premium membership re-upped on May 30th but it's not showing up in my profile here.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Just noticed my premium membership re-upped on May 30th but it's not showing up in my profile here.
Pete-
Sorry about that. I went to take a look and its a bit different under our new software. Give me a couple of days to look into it with @Dave Upton

It appears this was all during a 10 day period when PayPal randomly decided to delete our IPN (Instant Payment Notification) integration that the forum software depend on to detect payments. I'm really sorry for the trouble @Pete York - you should be all set now.

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett
Just sent a paypal inquiry about my July 13, 2020 renewal - still seeing ads.

(I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't received so many emails lately)

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
A billboard?

:D

Perhaps a link to the immediate right of the "WHAT'S NEW" button that says "Ways To Support HTF" or "GO AD FREE."

Informative for those interested. Non-intrusive and easy enough to ignore for those not.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Just sent a paypal inquiry about my July 13, 2020 renewal - still seeing ads.

(I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't received so many emails lately)
Rod, I'm not sure what happened with your account. I went in yesterday and fixed you up manually but I'm still looking into what happened

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks