What's new

Media Center / Server (1 Viewer)

JD_Hyde

Auditioning
Real Name
Joel
G'day All,

I recently upgraded a few components in my home theater and now I need to tie them together with a media center that I would also like to use for a home ‘server’ for photos, music library, etc accessible. The problem is that I cannot place the media center in the same room with the tv, receiver, etc. Also, I am not sure how to interface with the media center through my tv. Maybe there is an app for the smart tv? Any suggestions? Budget around $3500 - $4000 to tie this up.

SAMSUNG PN64F8500AFXZA PDP 1080P SMART TV
YAMAHA RX-A1030 Receiver
PS3 / soon PS4
HARMONY Rf Remotes
Sonos
Klipsch speakers in ceiling (5)

Thanks,
Joel

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
JD_Hyde said:
G'day All,

I recently upgraded a few components in my home theater and now I need to tie them together with a media center that I would also like to use for a home ‘server’ for photos, music library, etc accessible. The problem is that I cannot place the media center in the same room with the tv, receiver, etc. Also, I am not sure how to interface with the media center through my tv. Maybe there is an app for the smart tv? Any suggestions? Budget around $3500 - $4000 to tie this up.

SAMSUNG PN64F8500AFXZA PDP 1080P SMART TV
YAMAHA RX-A1030 Receiver
PS3 / soon PS4
HARMONY Rf Remotes
Sonos
Klipsch speakers in ceiling (5)

Thanks,
Joel
By this do you mean.. Windows Media Center? If yes, then there are ways around that; an XBOX (and XBOX1, reportedly) run a softsled interface to it. If you have no interest in that, you can also use MediaBrowser integrator, which is coming soon for Samsung Smart TVs.. or a device like the Ceton Echo

JD_Hyde

Auditioning
Real Name
Joel
Regarding PS3, I can't use the RF remote and my components are in a closed cabinet so I don't think that is a practical solution. Also, I want lots and lots of storage capacity for movies, pics, videos, music, etc. Sorry for my limited understanding if I am missing something here.

DLNA...if my smart tv does include this, what other device are you suggesting I connect to using this method? Get a DLNA certified PC?

I don't necessarily mean Windows Media Center - just something that will conveniently allow me to access my personal libraries of media from my TV.

Maybe I already have what I need and don't know how to do it?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks