What's new

McHale's Navy [complete series box set] (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
McHale's Navy is a show that always flies right under my radar. I saw the complete series box set at Walmart ($35 US-dollar) and I instantly asked myself: "Wait a second... What's this show again?" I hadn't the slightest idea who was in it, nor what it was about.

Anyone got any opinions on this show?

P.S. I've googled the show since then, but I'm toying with the notion of perhaps buying the box set at Walmart.

1626895912703.png

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It's a very good show. I felt like it never reached its full potential, but it's well worth picking up if you're a fan of 1960's television.

Not many of what I'd consider great episodes, but lots of good episodes (And of course a few duds here and there). I quite enjoyed going through my set a couple of years ago after buying it at Wal-Mart and will likely do so again here not too long from now.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
It's a very good show. I felt like it never reached its full potential, but it's well worth picking up if you're a fan of 1960's television.

Not many of what I'd consider great episodes, but lots of good episodes (And of course a few duds here and there). I quite enjoyed going through my set a couple of years ago after buying it at Wal-Mart and will likely do so again here not too long from now.
I'm not familiar with this show at all (as I'm sure you can tell), but I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'm usually a fan of the '60s era TV shows.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm not familiar with this show at all (as I'm sure you can tell), but I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'm usually a fan of the '60s era TV shows.
I saw all of the MCHALE'S NAVY episodes in syndication way back in the '70s. It's definitely well worth the $35 price tag!

CHEERS! :)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I also like 1960's TV shows, I enjoy many shows from that decade but McHale's Navy is not one of them and I wouldn't spend a cent on the DVD's. I guess I'm just not a fan overall of military themed sitcoms, Gomer Pyle USMC and F Troop are the only ones that I enjoy and I avoid all the others.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I also like 1960's TV shows, I enjoy many shows from that decade but McHale's Navy is not one of them and I wouldn't spend a cent on the DVD's. I guess I'm just not a fan overall of military themed sitcoms, Gomer Pyle USMC and F Troop are the only ones that I enjoy and I avoid all the others.
My used-to-be stepfather watched F Troop a lot, and I may have watched an episode or two with him, but I don't know anything about that show really other than Ken Berry being in it. I've had the complete series in my shopping cart online for quite a while, but it's yet to get ordered.

I have the complete series of Gomer Pyle, USMC in my collection for many years. I bought it at -- ironically -- Walmart for $35. I've watched a few episodes, but I've tucked it away. I liked it alright, but it was really something I bought just to have it.

My father really likes Hogan's Heroes, and he watches it a lot on Sundance. I've tried to watch it with him (we used to watch older shows together), but I just can't get into that one. Not my cup o' tea, I guess.

Like you, I'm sort of disinterested in military-themed TV shows. Those I've tried to watch just never "click" with me. I've never even liked M*A*S*H, which I've tried to watch on numerous occasions.

All of this makes me unsure whether I'd need to buy McHale's Navy or not. I'm not too sure I'd like it and I really don't want to waste my money on something I'd never watch. I suppose if I didn't like it, I could always re-gift it to someone that would.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If you don't care for military themed TV shows then don't make the purchase or at least find a way to watch a few episodes before making the purchase.

It's about a PT boat crew stationed on an island chain in the Pacific (close to Australia). Even though it's a Navy themed show there's little action on the boat/water with most being land based (either on McHale's island or the main base). Like many such shows it can be somewhat repetitive and formulaic in nature - McHale's crew comes up with a scheme to either get shore leave and/or make money, Capt. Binghamton gets in the way and has to be worked around/avoided all while keeping their Japanese deserter (he wears a POW outfit in case he's caught), who serves as the crew's House-boy, hidden from Binghamton and the military in general.

That said, I watched it during the original airings and really enjoy it in smaller doses. It's absolutely not one that can be binge watched due to the sameness of many episodes. S4 also takes them from the island to Italy which changes some of the dynamics but it's still mostly the same.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
My used-to-be stepfather watched F Troop a lot, and I may have watched an episode or two with him, but I don't know anything about that show really other than Ken Berry being in it. I've had the complete series in my shopping cart online for quite a while, but it's yet to get ordered.

I have the complete series of Gomer Pyle, USMC in my collection for many years. I bought it at -- ironically -- Walmart for $35. I've watched a few episodes, but I've tucked it away. I liked it alright, but it was really something I bought just to have it.

My father really likes Hogan's Heroes, and he watches it a lot on Sundance. I've tried to watch it with him (we used to watch older shows together), but I just can't get into that one. Not my cup o' tea, I guess.

Like you, I'm sort of disinterested in military-themed TV shows. Those I've tried to watch just never "click" with me. I've never even liked M*A*S*H, which I've tried to watch on numerous occasions.

All of this makes me unsure whether I'd need to buy McHale's Navy or not. I'm not too sure I'd like it and I really don't want to waste my money on something I'd never watch. I suppose if I didn't like it, I could always re-gift it to someone that would.
It seems that you and I share similar tastes but I would suggest if you can watch some McHale's Navy episodes either on TV or online and see what you think before deciding to buy DVD's or not. I've tried to watch episodes but to me the show just isn't funny and I'm not really a fan of Ernest Borgnine, Joe Flynn or Tim Conway.

Gomer Pyle USMC is easily my favorite military themed sitcom, Jim Nabors and Frank Sutton are funny and have great chemistry together in the episodes. Not every episode is a gem but the best ones are hysterically funny. I also have the complete series DVD's but unfortunately several episodes are edited because of music which sort of puts a damper on the whole thing.

F Troop tends to go a little over the top sometimes with the silliness but overall it's a funny show and the cast is likable. I have the DVD's of both seasons and as far as I can tell the episodes are uncut.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
McHale's Navy is a show that always flies right under my radar. I saw the complete series box set at Walmart ($35 US-dollar) and I instantly asked myself: "Wait a second... What's this show again?" I hadn't the slightest idea who was in it, nor what it was about.

Anyone got any opinions on this show?

P.S. I've googled the show since then, but I'm toying with the notion of perhaps buying the box set at Walmart.

View attachment 104862
It’s a good show - Borgnine excellent as McHale , funny comedy by Flynn and Conway, and a good supporting cast. Worth $35 in my opinion!

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Tim Conway is kind of doltish in the show. He'd be much better years later in sketch comedy with Carol Burnett. But Joe Flynn is perfection as the exasperated C.O. I never get tired of watching him.

copwriter

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Dees
There are some complete episodes on YouTube, so you can get an idea of what the show is about from that. McHale’s Navy put Tom Conway on the map. I thought it was hilarious when it was on the air, but then I was nine years old at the time.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
It was common to make a television series based on a movie. But supposedly McHale's Navy was the first television series to be made into a feature film (actually there were two). The film was a big success and proved that folks would go to the theater to pay to see somethin they otherwise were watching for free on television. This was in 1964 for McHale.. the Batman tv series film came out in 1966, because of the success of the McHale film. The McHale feature films are on a separate release.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
It was common to make a television series based on a movie. But supposedly McHale's Navy was the first television series to be made into a feature film (actually there were two). The film was a big success and proved that folks would go to the theater to pay to see somethin they otherwise were watching for free on television. This was in 1964 for McHale.. the Batman tv series film came out in 1966, because of the success of the McHale film. The McHale feature films are on a separate release.
Our Miss Brooks went from radio to TV and finally to the big screen in 1956.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I wish they had made No Time for Sergeants into a show.
They did in 1964.
MV5BYzE5NDZmY2ItMGY3Ni00YzYzLWJkNTgtMTFlYTMzMGNjMmVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2MDQ4Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
They did in 1964.
View attachment 105711
I thought I remembered there being a No Time for Sergeants television series. It lasted just one season, didn't it?

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Our Miss Brooks went from radio to TV and finally to the big screen in 1956.

I've got you beat. Dragnet was made into a feature film two years earlier in 1954.
(For those who would comment that Dragnet was not a comedy, the original poster stated "But supposedly McHale's Navy was the first television series to be made into a feature film...")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks