What's new

Mazda Protege - Good choice? (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I'm about to buy my first car. Right now I think I'm mostly leaning towards the 2001/2002 Mazda Protege ES. I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with this car.

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator
I have had two Mazdas and had nothing but good luck with them. I had a B2200 p/u and a 626, I believe both have the same engine as the Protege. The p/u lasted until I traded it with no major problems-189k. The 626 I had for two years and traded in because I wanted allwheel drive. They are well built and have well thought out design behind them. Go for it!

DavidY

Supporting Actor
David,
Is the MP3 version available here in Canada? I have read some positive reviews on this version....I believe that at least one mag review had noted that it outhandled some exotics including a Ferrari and a Porsche Corvette....I will confirm this after I get home since I bought that issue. The main disadvantage was the limited horsepower as compared with other sporty cars.
Dave
- Made correction
[Edited last by DavidY on November 15, 2001 at 10:37 PM]

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Check out the November 2001 issue of the Road and Track...."Mazda's new MP3 is currently the best sports-car bargain in America." "Fastest car through the corners at Buttonwillow Raceway Park." Slalom speed was 68.5mph...better than the Chevy Corvette Z06 (67.1) and the Ferrari 360 Spider (66.6). Tested price US$18.5K. 140bhp, 142lbft. 0-60mph: 8.4sec, 1/4mile: [email protected]. R&T futher notes that this car has "superb handling, aesthetically pleasing styling, import tuner bits and the mother of all stereos."
biggrin.gif

Dave
[Edited last by DavidY on November 15, 2001 at 10:38 PM]

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I see one around work, it's got a nice shade of blue (But then I think the one in their commercial is also that blue color). At $18.5 it's kind of pricey for a small car but then those high-end civics are also in that range...
Jay
------------------
HUGGBEES!
Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
Obscuria.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I have a 1999 Protege and it's been very dependable. No problems. Not the fastest thing in the world, though.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Mazdas, for me, have been nothing short of spectacular. Right now I own a 2001 Tribute and a 2000 MPV. I'm a repeat customer obviously.
icon14.gif

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I have a Kia Sephia. It is similar to the Protege as Ford had a hand in designing both vehicles. No problems as of yet. For resale value, get the Protege. Then again, the Sephia is a few thousand less.

Lisel

Stunt Coordinator
My dad hasn't had a problem with his '97 Protege -- other than being smacked into by a school bus (dad's ok but the rear fender is toast). I've driven it quite a bit and like it well enough, though it's seriously lacking in pickup, which I'm sure the newer models have addressed. I was considering a Protege ES, MP3 or a Nissan SE-R/Spec V (which I'm not sure are available yet). All in all, I think the Protege is a solid car and an excellent value.
Lisel

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I drove a Mazda 323 for 140,000 miles before it died.
I currently own a Protege and it has 75,000 miles so far.
Never had a major problem.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I'm very pleased with all of your comments.
I think I'm going to go within the next week to place an offer for the car. I'll be getting the Protege ES with added air.
I was thinking about getting the GT package, but that'll cost an extra $40/month. That money would be better spent towards my car insurance.
This is actually quite exciting and scary at the same time. It'll be great to finally have my own car, but they're just so expensive. Just think about the front projection system I could buy for the same money
tongue.gif

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
Three of my friends (all recent engineering grads) have bought Proteges. They are all quite happy with them and I must agree they are nice cars. Go for the sport package though, it's worth it in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks