What's new

May I Suggest A Sticky Thread Identifying Insider Terminology? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I know what a lot of the acronyms commonly used here are, but by no means all, and having to go back and read entire lengthy threads to see if they are identified is cumbersome. Just today I hit several I'd not heard of (such as "LPCM"). I appreciate that many members here know all of this stuff, but I am admitting here I am not among you. I suggest a sticky thread that contains the acronyms in alphabetical order (OCN = Original Camera Negative, etc.) that can be added to periodically as new terms are added to the vernacular. Thanks for any mod consideration. Oh, yes..."mod" = "moderator"! Not an acronym, but maybe still unclear to a few newbies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
OCN = Original Camera Negative

Seps = Separation Masters - breaking down three color records on b/w film

IP = InterPositive = duplicating color positive intermediate used to produce duplicate printing negative

Dupe = duplicate printing negative

DME = a full coat magnetic 3-stripe containing separate dialogue, music and effects

3-Strip Technicolor = Tech printing process which exposed three b/w negatives, which in turn were printed to matrices and imbibed to a piece of blank stock

2-Strip Technicolor = Doesn't exist = 2 Color Technicolor = a double frame process

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
OCN = Original Camera Negative

Seps = Separation Masters - breaking down three color records on b/w film

IP = InterPositive = duplicating color positive intermediate used to produce duplicate printing negative

Dupe = duplicate printing negative

DME = a full coat magnetic 3-stripe containing separate dialogue, music and effects

3-Strip Technicolor = Tech printing process which exposed three b/w negatives, which in turn were printed to matrices and imbibed to a piece of blank stock

2-Strip Technicolor = Doesn't exist = 2 Color Technicolor = a double frame process

Thanks for helping me to get this started, Robert.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
LPCM = Linear Pulse Code Modulation - this is an uncompressed audio format sometimes used on discs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks