What's new

Maureen O'Hara to Receive Honorary Oscar (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Keith Cobby said:
I am disappointed with this news. She should have left her work to speak for her. Like Hitchcock, Maureen O'Hara will be remembered long after many AA winners are forgotten.
Wha? She will not be diminished by this Oscar. It's quite appropriate her peers recognize her. Maureen, you go girl!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Some people regard the Honorary Oscar as something of a "consolation prize", but whatever. Ms O'Hara has left an amazing body of work, and its wonderful that she is receiving this acknowledgement of it.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
GlennF said:
Sorry, didn't mean to cause panic. I will be more careful in my titles and am glad you changed it Mike.
Now I'll have to watch HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY or THE QUIET MAN again.
While you're at it, watch her first film after a 13-year hiatus, 1991's Only the Lonely, with a great cast that included her, John Candy, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Quinn, Jim Belushi, Milo O'Shea and Kevin Dunn.

Note to Fox or Anchor Bay or whoever has the rights: How about releasing it in Blu-ray?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's great to see Maureen O'Hara is getting the Award .. but I totally agree that at some stage in his career, Richard Widmark should have been similarly honoured. What a great actor. I only realised the breadth of his achievement when, years ago, I watched 'Halls of Montezuma' for the first time. And my wife, not a fan of war movies, couldn't believe the strength and depth of his acting. She was totally impressed by both the actor and the movie. That's her by the way in my bio pic ... taken 45 years ago in a London photo booth ...
And re the original poster mentioning 'honourary' as the Canadian spelling ... here in Australia we spell 'Honour' but drop the 'u' for 'honorary'. Strange the little linguistic differences from country to country.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I can understand why Richard Widmark never got an honourary Oscar -- he was a bit of a grump (being very polite here), never did talkshows, kept to himself and let his work speak for itself -- I suspect everyone, AMPAS, Golden Globes and the Screen Actors Guild included, wanted to give him a lifetime achievement award and I suspect he told them what they could do with those awards....

I'm delighted that Maureen is still with us and is finally getting the Academy Award -- I think of Ireland and I can only think of her -- class all the way, always (and yes, sidesplitting in "Only the Lonely", her last scene made me think Sly Stallone could have used her in one of those Expendables movies)

I hope they can present it to her the same way they did to Myrna Loy, another great lady -- if she is incapacitated in anyway, I hope Patrick Wayne could accept the Oscar on her behalf. It would be most fitting and both are certainly old family friends.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Brian McP said:
I'm delighted that Maureen is still with us and is finally getting the Academy Award -- I think of Ireland and I can only think of her -- class all the way, always (and yes, sidesplitting in "Only the Lonely", her last scene made me think Sly Stallone could have used her in one of those Expendables movies)
She wouldn't fit in those flicks. Her diction isn't bad enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks