What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Masters of Horror-Season 1 Box (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
For some inexplicable reason, I haven't seen any of these yet, so I thought about picking up the Season 1 set. Can anyone tell me if there's anything in the Mausoleum Box that isn't in the 2 separate volumes (disc-wise, that is)?

The price for both volumes would be about the same as the Mausoleum, so I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'd definitely go for the full Mausoleum box if you can. The round table, dinner discussion that's on the bonus disc is a fun watch. Plus, there's a few other featurettes on it. That was the first thing that I watched when I got the set. Plus, the packaging is pretty cool and you have to have the Miike episode to have the complete season. Having had mine since release date, I'd say that with 13 one-hour horror flicks and a TON of bonus features at a ridiculously low price, it's definitely worth it. I just feel bad for people who have been collecting the single disc releases...

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little on the fence when it comes to this show. It would be a blind purchase for me and usually I really like all things horror and supernatural, but I'be hear not so good things about "Masters of Horror". Numerous episodes are supposed to range between 'bad' and 'ridiculous' in an attempt to be humerous....is that true? Or is this set a small risk for genre fans?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I would say rent them first just because it seems like horror fans have very individualized tastes. I know there were alot that I heard were crap and I liked them (and vice versa).

I liked Cigarette Burns, Jenifer, Sick Girl, Deer Woman, Incident On And Off A Mountain Road, Dance Of The Dead, Pick Me Up, Homecoming and Chocolate. I thought Dreams In The Witch House, Fair Haired Child, Haeckel's Tale and Imprint ranged from boring to terrible.

Deer Woman is a comedy and Homecoming has comedic elements in it but more or less, I think they played the series pretty straight.

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator

Not an option, I live in Germany. So it's import the set or not watch at all.

Thank you for your opinion, though. Are the episodes well executed? Are the special effects on par with the final X-Files years or Supernatural? And, most importantly, does the show manage to be actually somewhat scary at times? (for comparison, I thought Carnivale had numerous scary scenes, as does Lost)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the show is well made (you can see that there's movie makers behind the camera) and the effects are on par with current TV shows. I would say that if you're a fan of the directors in the series then, overall, you'll be happy with the show. I thought Tobe Hooper, John Landis and Dario Argento did some of their best work in a decade or two on this show.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
since I bought all the releases seperate, only to find this set coming out with additional content. I'm no longer supporting the series on DVD. There are many ways to get this show.

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't get around to buy this one yet, and I was wondering: Is the Limited Mausoleum Edition still out there, or could it be that I get some other version if I order it online?

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted the Limited Mausoleum Edition but Deepdiscount.com has buy 1 get 1 free sale so I got the Vol.1 & Vol.2 so it cost me $24.30 total couldn't pass up the deal, Sure I will miss out the bonus on Limited Mausoleum Edition but I'm on tight budget :frowning:

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,

Not sure about online, but I know I've still seen copies of the Mausoleum set at a few locations of Best Buy as recently as last week, so you could get lucky there. I've already got it, so I didn't really take notice of what price that they are currently selling it for, sorry. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks