What's new

Marvel's GUARDIANS of the GALAXY Vol. 2: May 5th, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve been looking forward to rewatching the Guardians movies more than I usually do. I’m doing an MCU rewatch that’s mostly chronological with slight exceptions for continuity, and Guardians is one that I’m bumping up to see it sooner.

According to the whole official timeline thing, Guardians 1 and 2 both take place in 2014 and the proper position would be after Winter Soldier. But I’m going to put them after Thor: The Dark World and before Winter Soldier. This keeps them in “2014,” but lets me go from the Dark World end credits scene with the Collector straight to the movie he appears in. And then also lets me go from Winter Soldier’s post credit scene teasing Age Of Ultron right into that movie.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I wouldn't hold out for a Guardians 1&2 4K set considering that they haven't done it for the Avengers or Captain America 4k releases.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I definitely shouldn't, but I definitely will.:D

It would seem to me that if a box set of just the Guardians films were to appear, it would be after Vol. 3, in which case you're looking at 2022/2023, depending on how quickly the third one can get done after Suicide Squad 2. But as Wayne noted, box sets don't seem to be a priority for Disney at this point.

You do you, but I just don't see the value in waiting to purchase a movie you know you want for several years just to get a cardboard box around it. The How to Train Your Dragon films are a good example. Yes, I know there's going to be a box set of the trilogy coming out in May alongside the single of the third film, but I've owned and enjoyed the first two films since they came out. Having had them as part of my collection and available to me whenever I wanted them was more important to me than getting the three of them packaged together. The third one will fit nicely on my shelf next to the first two, but it doesn't have to be in the same box.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Honestly, there's a good chance I won't watch either movie again before 2022 or so..

In that case, it sounds like they're not movies that it makes a great difference for you to own (which is fine.) For me, the Guardians films are my favorite sub-franchise of the MCU, so there's no way I would wait to own them. But there are certainly other MCU titles that I feel that way about.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The first Gardians where he is searching through the holographic world has some of the best 3D of any Marvel movie.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I think I'm in a distinct minority in that I think Guardians 2 is far superior to the first film.

I enjoy the first Guardians movie, but I'm kinda baffled over the response that it gets. Most critics and many fans have praised the film as being something unlike any film that has ever been made in the history of the film, and the riskiest and most obscure thing that Disney could ever have done. And, when I watch the movie, I just don't see those descriptions applying to it. The first Guardians movie strikes me as a by-the-numbers buddy team-up comedy/action movie. We've seen plenty of characters like Quill and Gamora and Rocket and Groot before. The only thing that makes them different is that Gamora is an alien, Rocket is a talking racoon, and Groot is a walking tree. But their personalities and personas and the type of conflicts in the story have been done over and over. I think Guardians does do a good job of making old tropes feel fresh. But I don't find anything about that movie to be innovative. And I think that's okay too, I don't think a movie needs to be innovative to be good.

But Guardians 2, that movie feels fresher to me than the first one. I was initially very skeptical when the movie was announced. I didn't think it was necessary to bring back Nebula and Yondu, and the announcement that those characters were returning had me deeply concerned. I've seen too many sequels (and long running TV shows) where characters who had outlasted their use remained involved in the story not because the story demanded it, but because the actors were already under contract. But, much to my surprise, Guardians 2 deepens the portrayals of those characters rather than forcing them to go through the same story machinations a second time. Both Yondu and Nebula are compelling characters in Guardians 2; in the first movie, they felt more like plot devices.

Visually, the second film is much more exciting than the first one to me.

I do think the end battle goes on too long, as is often the case in these Marvel films. The amount of explosions far outpaces the amount of actual plot content in those final scenes, and while I wouldn't eliminate the battle completely, I think it could have been wrapped up in a little less time.

But on the whole, I find Guardians 2 to be a tremendous improvement over the original.

Interesting points, Josh. My reaction was the opposite. GOTG 1 was (and remains) something very special to me. It was the kind of space opera that we rarely see on film, and the disparate, wounded characters coming together to make a team struck an emotional chord with me that I just don't get from the Star Wars films, for example, as fond as I am of the original trilogy.

A lot of critics talked about the surprise of the first Guardians. There was no surprise for me...I could tell this movie was 100% in my wheelhouse from the trailers and clips. I just felt it in my bones: this was gonna be great! And it was, along with LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring, one of the best theatrical experiences I've had in the last 20 years.

GOTG 2 is definitely a good time at the movies, and is arguably funnier than the first film, but is much more lopsided in its story construction, the character dynamics seem off at times (for example, Drax often seems to have undergone a complete character reboot), and the overall dramatic impact is slighter. Though I was disappointed in the sequel when I first saw it in the theater, subsequent viewings on Blu-Ray have raised it a bit in my estimation. I now rank it in the middle tier of Marvel movies. But it's telling that I felt much more satisfied with the brief amount of Guardians action I received in Avengers: Infinity War than I did with the entirety of GOTG2.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wouldn't hold out for a Guardians 1&2 4K set considering that they haven't done it for the Avengers or Captain America 4k releases.
4K sets are available from the UK for Avengers (out now) and Captain America (coming in April). There is no region coding for 4K discs, and the blu's are likely all-region.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Am...in+america+4k&qid=1554082147&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avengers-C...s=Avengers+4k&qid=1554082293&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The scene of Baby Groot bringing back all matter of objects instead of the fin just killed me, and the Ravager massacre afterwards is probably my favorite MCU set piece. Do I feel a little bad about cackling in glee over a murder spree? A little bit. But the execution is superb.

I see what you did there …

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yep. I love them both, but I also find Volume 2 to be superior.

I agree that (some) of the humor earlier on feels a little bit off. But the emotional punch of the film (Gamora and Nebula, Rocket and Quill/Yondu), Quill and Ego, and Quill and Yondu) really elevate it above the first for me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Rewatching Guardians 2 for like the fourth time in the past few weeks. Sometimes I just get into a movie and it’s where I’m at and I’m just going with it.

Some things I love:

-If you’re a fan of IMAX 3D presentations with all the bells and whistles, the 3D disc here is the best example yet of the format. Shifting aspect ratios, frame breaking effects, pop outs, depth, it’s all here. Thrilling visually each time.
-Awesome Mix 2 is better than 1. Most of the songs are more obscure but they add depth and poignancy. It feels more carefully curated.
-The Sovereign are dicks. I find them far more amusing than I probably should.
-Lake Shore Drive. Pleasant sounding song, goes perfectly with the scene. The shot of Baby Groot looking out the ship windshield reminds me of a similar shot in Thor Ragnarok when Thor is tied up in a similar space of Valkyrie’s ship.
-When Ego calls Rocket “triangle faced” and then it cuts to Rocket quietly feeling the shape of his face.
-Southern Nights and Rocket’s attack, that’s a thing of beauty.
-When Mantis touches Drax and he’s at peace for a moment, while she’s in tears from the pain he carries. It hits close to home and I think it’s one of the most beautiful and insightful depictions of what it’s like to carry something like that/being supportive of someone with that weight.
-Baby Groot and the fin
-The too many jumps in a row to planet Ego.
-Kraglin and the soup
-Seriously, that use of Silver’s Wham Bam Shang-a-Lang is awesome.
-Yondu’s funeral and the Cat Stevens and Baby Groot falling asleep on Drax gets me every time.
-Kraglin’s joy when the ravagers show up
-That this is a movie that ends with a closeup of a crying raccoon, and that the movie has fucking earned it and i am crying along with a raccoon and this is a $200 million movie with a soul and how cool is that. Ok, deep breath. Sorry bout that.
-When I was in film school, I always wanted to make a movie and have Cheap Trick’s Surrender as the end credit music. Glad someone else thought that was a good idea too.
-The end credits as a whole are fun. It’s not just “wait til the bonus scene” but a party straight through.
-Love the teaser trailer with Fox on the Run.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks