What's new

Marvel’s Agent Carter (ABC) (2 Viewers)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
That's an interesting point about Netflix. Since Netflix does not disclose ratings, we have no idea how many people are watching Daredevil or Jessica Jones. The media often makes it seem that the Netflix shows are blockbuster successes and the ABC shows are on the verge of failure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are about the same.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the ABC shows actually had higher numbers than the Netflix shows, given that ABC is available for free OTA.

It'd be like Buffy and Firefly - Firefly actually had higher numbers, being on Fox and Buffy on WB, but Buffy was viewed as a breakout while Firefly was 'struggling to find viewers'.

It just comes down to expectations.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the ABC shows actually had higher numbers than the Netflix shows, given that ABC is available for free OTA.
It'd be like Buffy and Firefly - Firefly actually had higher numbers, being on Fox and Buffy on WB, but Buffy was viewed as a breakout while Firefly was 'struggling to find viewers'.

The big three networks require better ratings, since they charge more for advertising, which is why a show like Supergirl on CBS is waiting to be renewed, while shows like Flash and Arrow were renewed months ago.

There's no doubt that Agent Carter, being on ABC, requires higher ratings than, say, something on Netflix. However, that could mean Netflix - with which ABC has a working relationship - is a better home for Agent Carter.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well when they get around to that season 2 amazon blu ray exclusive, hope it has some extras and this should be the coverart

Agent-Carter-Season-2.jpg

maybe they can tie up loose ends with SHIELD flashbacks or something?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife is reading me the tv cancellations and just got to Carter! Though not too surprised, I'm still disappointed. This is show was a cool breeze amidst the sturm and drang on the other scifi shows I watch.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's also the first time since the start of the MCU that Marvel has had to cancel or abandon anything. I was genuinely surprised to see it called "canceled" instead of delayed or some other non-committal wording that didn't admit defeat. If Atwell's new show doesn't get picked up, or doesn't last long, I wonder if Marvel would try to revive this on Netflix.

It's great that we got as much as we did. If this is to be Atwell's final bow in the MCU, I will miss her but am grateful that we got to spend these extra couple seasons with her character.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If it does move to Netflix, then Atwell will be working for two different networks. I'd be surprised if that happens.

Yeah, I only see that happening if her new show doesn't get picked up (which hasn't officially happened yet) or if it doesn't last (and with TV, who knows).

Because Disney owns both ABC and Marvel, and already has a relationship with Netflix, it seems like an arrangement could be worked out if necessary. But I just don't see that happening if she has another day job. That said, I'll gladly take another Agent Carter anything at any time.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
ABC has also passed on Most Wanted, the Shield spinoff, making Agents of Shield the only Marvel show on ABC.

I'm really disappointed by the news. Hopefully, they will move some things to Netflix.

Oh, and don't count on lots of extras on the blu-ray. Season 1's blu-ray was about as bare-bones as you can get, not to mention that it was an Amazon exclusive (and still is).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Did they officially pass in it? I heard that it was no longer a sure thing but not that it was officially over and done with.

I hated the way they wrote Bobbi and Hunter off of SHIELD. It was a nice setup for their pilot I guess but it also removes the possibility of bringing them back to SHIELD if their show doesn't happen. I mean, they're not dead on the show so technically they could come back, but it would be a real betrayal of the narrative they constructed. So it looks like they got rid of two of the best, most fun characters and for no good reason.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If it does move to Netflix, then Atwell will be working for two different networks. I'd be surprised if that happens.
I think it would've been difficult for Atwell to star in both series in which she's the lead character in both of them even if one is only a limited episode series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Remember that scene in Animal House when the Deltas were all called to the Dean's office and told they were all expelled and their draft boards notified?

That must have been what yesterday was like at ABC. Holy smokes, so many shows cancelled.

I know Disney had a bad quarter, but I can't imagine cancelling so many programs is the answer. New shows have a very high failure rate; they might have been better off sticking with what they had.

In any case, I don't think it's unreasonable to hope we haven't seen the last of Agent Carter and cast. The show could easily do 10 or 12 episodes at Netflix at some point in the future to wrap things up. Doesn't have to be next year. (Netflix is going to be plenty busy next year anyway.)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
In any case, I don't think it's unreasonable to hope we haven't seen the last of Agent Carter and cast. The show could easily do 10 or 12 episodes at Netflix at some point in the future to wrap things up. Doesn't have to be next year. (Netflix is going to be plenty busy next year anyway.)
Agent Carter had a long career. They can pick it up at just about any time in the future and still have an interesting show.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Did they officially pass in it? I heard that it was no longer a sure thing but not that it was officially over and done with.

I hated the way they wrote Bobbi and Hunter off of SHIELD. It was a nice setup for their pilot I guess but it also removes the possibility of bringing them back to SHIELD if their show doesn't happen. I mean, they're not dead on the show so technically they could come back, but it would be a real betrayal of the narrative they constructed. So it looks like they got rid of two of the best, most fun characters and for no good reason.

'Agent Carter' Canceled at ABC; 'Marvel's Most Wanted' Not Moving Forward

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/agent-carter-canceled-at-abc-893499

Additionally, ABC has passed on picking up Agents of SHIELD spinoff Marvel's Most Wanted after redeveloping the project from last year. Following the adventures of Bobbi Morse (aka Mockingbird) and Lance Hunter, SHIELD favorites Adrianne Palicki and Nick Blood were set to reprise their roles after exiting the flagship series earlier this season. Delroy Lindo, Oded Fehr and Fernana Andrade were set to co-star in the drama from writer Paul Zbyszewski.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Sam. I really had no interested in Marvel's Most Wanted. It's just a shame they removed Bobbi and Hunter from the SHIELD mothership in such a permanent way - their chemistry was something the show needed a little bit of. I had no interest in seeing them headline a solo show, and SHIELD is less interesting without them. This seems to be the worst possible outcome, and yet, entirely predictable.

Hope the producers learn the lesson not to jettison useful and fan favorite characters until they have all plans firmed up. If you bring them back to SHIELD now, it cheapens the overall narrative. SHIELD already has a problem with characters remaining on the show for reasons that seem to have more to do with the cast having long term contracts than motivated by the story. As much as I like these characters, when you have them exit the show where the episode beats you over the head with the idea "These characters have been disavowed. They can no longer work for any intelligence agency, ever, under any circumstances, period" to bring them back shortly after that would just kill whatever plausibility the show has left. I don't expect these shows to be realistic in the sense of only doing things that could happen in real life, but I do expect them to adhere to their own internal logic.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Spy shows routinely "build new identities" for characters. It would seem to me that in all the havoc wrought by the end of the Hive threat there would be a way to provide them with workable new character names and back stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks