What's new

Marcel The Shell With Shoes On (2022)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Marcel The Shell With Shoes On (2022)

Tagline: Tiny shell. Big screen.

Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family

Director: Dean Fleischer-Camp

Cast: Jenny Slate, Dean Fleischer-Camp, Isabella Rossellini, Thomas Mann, Rosa Salazar, Lesley Stahl, Nathan Fielder, Andy Richter, Sarah Thyre, Jessi Klein, Peter Bonerz

Release: 2022-06-24

Runtime: 90

Plot: Marcel is an adorable one-inch-tall shell who ekes out a colorful existence with his grandmother Connie and their pet lint, Alan. Once part of a sprawling community of shells, they now live alone as the sole survivors of a mysterious tragedy. But when a documentary filmmaker discovers them amongst the clutter of his Airbnb, the short film he posts online brings Marcel millions of passionate fans, as well as unprecedented dangers and a new hope at finding his long-lost family.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anyone here seen this yet?

A24 is going with a gradual release strategy. I've been hearing great things about it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I went this afternoon. The movie is totally delightful. No one could see it because I was masked up, but I'm pretty sure I was smiling underneath for most of the running time. It is just so charming, funny and wildly inventive. I can't say enough good things about this.

Highly recommended.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Marcel is now available on disc as an A24 shop exclusive for $34 plus shipping and tax.

Of course, because it is only available online, you do have to take shipping and tax into account as part of the price of the item. It does not appear to be getting a general release.

While I've heard that the A24 shop Blu-rays are very well-produced, they're also very expensive. If I buy this, it would be about $41 all in. That would be more money than I've ever spent on a disc release for a single movie, including Criterions and premium-priced steelbooks. I really enjoyed the movie, but that's a big ask, so I have to think about that. If the Blu-ray were about half that cost, I would buy it right away without a second thought. But it's not.

I also think that Marcel specifically is one of A24's most mainstream accessible films in their entire catalog. So while I'm certainly not against the idea of it getting a premium release from their shop, I do think it is surprising and perhaps misguided not to give this film a more mass market release as well.

That being said, I still highly recommend the film itself, which is also now available for digital purchase or regular priced digital rental. Based on the activity in this thread, it doesn't seem like too many people around here have seen it yet. Hopefully that changes now that it is available in homes.

Last edited:

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
A charming mix media movie which combines animation and live action to tell it's tale of a tiny sea shell with a big eye, a magical mouth - and, yes, shoes on his tiny feet. MARCEL is an expansion of a series of three shorts by Dean Fleisher-Camp and Jenny Slate. Marcel (voiced by Slate) lives in a B&B and mostly stays out of sight of the visitors who pass through. That is, until an intrepid filmmaker (Fleischer-Camp playing a version of himself) makes friends with the shell and decides to document his life. As with the trio of shorts, Marcel's antics become an internet sensation. The shell's favorite TV show is 60 Minutes and it's not long before the film within a film's shorts catch the attention of that show's producers and its star Leslie Stahl (playing herself). Yes, it's that meta - and, not always to the movie's advantage.

Marcel lives in the home with his grandmother (touchingly voiced by Isabella Rossellini) and its their story and quiet interactions and observations on the “larger” world around them that do work extremely well. Carefully animated by the Chiodo Brothers (KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE) Fleischer-Camp and Slate create a unique and detailed environment for the mollusks to inhabit. At times, Dean (the character) is more of a distraction, although there are a few thoughtful gestures towards defining the role of a filmmaker with his subject. The self-referential internet fame material has its moments, but, again, it just as often detracts. Part of it, is inherent in trying to expand 4 minute shorts to feature length, but, the inherent sweetness of the movie wins out. And, there is no question that the innocence and spirit of Marcel is a winner as well.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks