What's new

Marantz SR8015 (1 Viewer)

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
After running a Marantz SR7010 for the last few years I decided to upgrade to the new SR8015. The 7010 has been a solid performer so I am anxious to see if there is a huge improvement with the new receiver. We have multiple zones in our home and right now I use the 7010 for Pandora along with a Sonos Port for additional streaming. Everything is programmed with an RTI automation system so we don't have to think too hard when we play music. With the new 8015, I will program HEOS into the system and have two streaming sources for playing in the different zones. This way my wife could play something on the patio while I stream another station in the garage.

The Marantz is OvrC compatible so I will set it up for remote monitoring and auto resetting if an issue is detected. Right now everything in the smart closet is protected with two Panamax surge protectors but I will be adding a Wattbox surge protector that will be installed and programmed with OvrC to reset the network automatically if an issue is detected with the network.

I also quit running an HDMI cable to my TV a few years ago after losing a TV to a power surge and instead use a HDMI extender over cat6. I will be switching that to HDMI over fiber later this year. AVPro Edge has a HDMI over fiber extender that will send an uncompressed signal in full 4k 60 4:4:4 up to 1000ft. I don't have an 8K TV yet but will be laying the ground work for when I get one.

Can't wait to get this thing! Should be here Monday but I will wait until the weekend to install and calibrate it, then I will have a few hours in reprogramming the RTI system.

Brian

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
New receiver showed up Monday as planned but I left it in the box until Friday to do the install. I was surprised at how much deeper it was than the SR7010 (See below-7010 left, 8015 right). The great thing is that I just had to change the static IP in the router to reflect the new receiver and the remote worked right away.

0CBF6E12-638B-4B91-9843-949C92EB7D19_1_201_a.jpeg

I set up the receiver using the Audyssey MultEQ app and am very pleased with the outcome so far. I'm not done tweaking it yet, there are a lot of adjustments and I don't want to get too far into it and have to start over so I will slowly make changes and test the audio as I go along. I figure I have three days to play on it.

F7B373F6-BB91-4F1D-B797-A35B798F9A1E_1_102_o.jpeg

I haven't set up OvrC yet on the receiver, I will do this tomorrow and see what I can monitor. I also haven't touched the Heos yet.
I did program the Wattbox into the automation system so that the HDMI extenders only come on when they are needed.

I am happy with the sound quality and was impressed when my wife said she could hear a difference, especially on the high end. She said it sounded clearer and she liked how she could hear the voices better during a movie.

More to come.

Brian

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
One of the short comings of the HEOS app is that it doesn't separate the 3 zones of the receiver. It treats the receiver as one zone and then just lets you turn on/off each zone. It will not allow the Main zone to play TV audio while Pandora streams on the Patio. I can use the Marantz receiver app to play different sources in each zone but the HEOS app is basically useless.

I've been playing around with the RTI remote programming and can control the zones independently which is the way I will be controlling it anyway but I am disappointed in the HEOS app.

612B898B-48EB-420F-8B4B-B9CF115666BC_1_102_o.jpeg

2D32F77D-90D3-49AE-A3E0-BF2D4E4A7FAF_1_102_o.jpeg

On the positive side, I am really pleased with the MultEQ app. I watched a great video this morning from Sound United on the proper way to use the app and then spent the next few hours tweaking it. It sounds amazing! Overall, I am very happy with this purchase and would recommend the SR8015 with the MultEQ app for anyone that wants a top notch receiver.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks