What's new

Major issues with my Samsung DLP (1 Viewer)

I did a search and it seems that this isn’t as uncommon as I would have thought. Essentially my Samsung DLP “exploded.” I was playing xbox and then it simply went bang, like obnoxiously loud and now I have no picture. I unplugged it because it didn’t want to turn off after, so I then plugged it back in however all you get is a messed up picture and you hear what seems to be a fan clunking around inside followed by a sucking noise. I’m almost afraid to look inside after hearing the bang/clunking but I think that’s all that’s left at this point. I think its safe to assume I will need at least a new lamp but I read elsewhere that a “ballast” had to be replaced in a similar occurrence? Is it time to move on to a new set and be thankful for the 6 years this one gave me or is this par for the course when a bulb reaches the end of its life? I don't mind spending $150 for a bulb but if this turns in to a few hundred, then it only makes sense to move on. Opinions? Thanks, Aaron

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
you hear what seems to be a fan clunking around inside followed by a sucking noise.
I may be wrong, but that may be the color wheel inside the tv. I've heard of problems with them before. I got my LED DLP, hoping to avoid these problems, since it doesn't have the color wheel or changeable bulb. It may end up having a different set of problems though. Who knows......... Lucky so far (knock on wood).

Six years sounds like it's been a good one. If you like it, it may be worth the repair. Contact a service center. They may know from the description, what the problem is, and can give you an estimate. Good luck!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
so I then plugged it back in however all you get is a messed up picture and you hear what seems to be a fan clunking around inside followed by a sucking noise.

If you're getting any kind of picture at all then the sound you heard was not the lamp. Blown bulbs don't produce any light. I think Ed is on the right track with the color wheel theory. With any luck there is a local authorized service shop that can come out and give you a free or low cost estimate (some around here will charge $25 for the visit and then deduct that from the final bill if they do the repair.)

I keep wondering if there is enough of a market for someone to come up with an after-market kit to convert a lamp-based RPTV into an LED based set. (Probably be cheaper with LCoS and LCD-RP than DLP, though, since neither of them uses a color wheel.)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by Aaron Chiandet

I see, well that is kind of worst news than expected. I guess its time to get a new tv.

Not necessarily. It could be that you just heard the color wheel popping loose, and that putting it back in place will fix the thing. Even replacing the color wheel might be a lot cheaper than buying a new TV. That's why I suggested getting an estimate if possible. Things may not be as bad as you think.

Regards,

Joe

Well I just bought a Samsung 55C6500 and im pretty happy with the decision. Like I said I had been planning on replacing it this year so this just sped things up. Based on what you just said, I'm not going to give up on this display but I don't even know where to start in regards to finding someone who could give me an estimate. It may be a stupid question but where would you suggest looking for a qualified repair man? In the past I always called Samsung and they took care of it but those days are done.

By the way, thanks for everyones time and input on the matter. This is not something that I know a lot about but I knew the HTF would be the best place to start.

tibber

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Robertson
Very much sounds like the color wheel. I have replaced one, it actually is pretty easy.

I googled samsung dlp color wheel replacement and found several howto's. And the price for the color wheel was about $100.

I don't recall the actual site I used, yet this one looks pretty good: http://www.jangro.com/electronics/samsung-dlp-replace-color-wheel/

Good luck,

Tom

Originally Posted by Aaron Chiandet

Well I just bought a Samsung 55C6500 and im pretty happy with the decision. Like I said I had been planning on replacing it this year so this just sped things up. Based on what you just said, I'm not going to give up on this display but I don't even know where to start in regards to finding someone who could give me an estimate. It may be a stupid question but where would you suggest looking for a qualified repair man? In the past I always called Samsung and they took care of it but those days are done.

By the way, thanks for everyones time and input on the matter. This is not something that I know a lot about but I knew the HTF would be the best place to start.

Wow thank you so much for the insight! Sadly the tv has been sitting on my office floor, however I turned it on to show a friend what happens and to my surprise all the noises it was making are gone however I have no picture. I need to open it up and and see whats what but im pretty confident its going to be the color wheel and/or lamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks