What's new

Magnetically Shielded Speakers (1 Viewer)

Phil~E~Guy

Grip
Really stupid question to follow. Are speakers built magnetically shielded or is some material put around them or around the inside of the speaker box?

I am thinking of building a subwoofer speaker box and would like to know were to find plans. Will my Sony STR-DA4ES 7.1/100 watts per channel be able to drive a subwoofer without adding an amplifier or will i need an amplifier also. How many watts of subwoofer w/o amplifier could be driven with my receiver without problems.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
hey Phil, you might want to check out this forum: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=51&daysprune= . it's targetted towards people still learning about the world of HT.

speakers are not magnetically shielded by default. you can magnetically shield any speaker by placing a magnet of opposite polarity on one of the inside walls of the speaker, thus killing off the magnetic field.

your receiver cannot power any type of subwoofer you would build. it has a preamp output (single ended RCA) which needs to be plugged into an amp connected to the sub. no receivers on the market today offer any sort of power for a standalone subwoofer.

you need to purchase an external amp for your sub from somewhere like partsexpress.com - a 100w to 200w plate amp should be enough for a typical DIY sub project, but there's a whole forum dedicated to that stuff. link is here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...?s=&forumid=22

good luck!

Phil~E~Guy

Grip
Thanks for the info, magnets of opposite polarity makes sense. Why does speaker box info have to be so secretive. LOL.... to keep HTF people from designing their on boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks