What's new

M3 Macbook Air Announced (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I understand, these m3 MBA support two external monitors, up from just one monitor of the m1 MBA.

I don’t laptop so I’m looking forward to the rumored iPad Pro and Air updates this year. And hoping for an m3 mini.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
If I understand, these m3 MBA support two external monitors, up from just one monitor of the m1 MBA.

From the Technical Specifications for the M3 MacBook Airs:
  • Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:
  • One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz
  • Close the MacBook Air lid to use a second external display with up to 5K resolution at 60Hz
Note that the Technical Specifications for 14" MacBook Pros that use the base M3 chip don't mention anything about being able to close the lid to get the ability to drive a second external display.

Likewise, although Apple is still selling some M2 MacBook Airs, those machines don't have the "close the lid to use a second external display" feature.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
14” MBP are getting two screen support in a coming update, it’s been announced.

This would be for the models with the base M3 chip, when the lid is closed. They're the conceptual successors to the 13" M1 and M2 MBPs, and the low-end 13" Intel MBPs that had only two USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) ports.

Models with {M1 / M2 / M3} Pro and Max chips have had multi-external-display support all along. And on them, you don't have to close the lid.

https://9to5mac.com/2024/03/04/14-inch-m3-macbook-pro-multi-display-support/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks