What's new

M1 powered 24” iMac (2021) buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I’m on the fence. If I buy this I will definitely upgrade to the inevitable pro refresh at 30/32 inches and XDR display coming soon.

BTO options:

My BTO config is roughly $1950. Pretty nice. I thought the baseline would be $1999.

I think I will wait till WWDC before buying. Unless I can swing a deal that drops the price $100 or more.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As I was listening to Upgrade today, I began wondering if I'd be happy with a 24" imac? I like the 27" screen of my current iMac. So, 3" smaller, a step backwards. But actual pixel count is not a huge difference, I think. And saving $1000 on my next iMac purchase would be quite decent.

I think I need to keep it in mind as an option.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Just keep in mind the 27” is gonna have way better cpu and GPU. Which might. It sound like much in 2021 but when it’s 3-4 years old you are gonna be wanting more juice out of it :)

Scott Voth

Stunt Coordinator
As I was listening to Upgrade today, I began wondering if I'd be happy with a 24" imac? I like the 27" screen of my current iMac. So, 3" smaller, a step backwards. But actual pixel count is not a huge difference, I think. And saving $1000 on my next iMac purchase would be quite decent.

I think I need to keep it in mind as an option.
If you don'r absolutely need one I'd wait. In 6 months to a year they might come out with a 27 or 28" model with a better CPU. Of course you are going pay a premium but if you get 10 years out of it like my 2 Macs the extra cost isn't that much. I haven't heard anything about what kind of drive is in it - hopefully a solid state drive.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you don'r absolutely need one I'd wait. In 6 months to a year they might come out with a 27 or 28" model with a better CPU. Of course you are going pay a premium but if you get 10 years out of it like my 2 Macs the extra cost isn't that much. I haven't heard anything about what kind of drive is in it - hopefully a solid state drive.
I’m waiting as long as I can. But I haven’t done any macOS updates to my iMac for three months and I’m not doing any until I upgrade, because every time I reboot, there’s a risk it won’t boot up again. So, I’m kinda playing against borrowed time.

For now, I’m ok. But I keep weighing options if I have to buy unexpectedly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just keep in mind the 27” is gonna have way better cpu and GPU. Which might. It sound like much in 2021 but when it’s 3-4 years old you are gonna be wanting more juice out of it :)
To be sure, but the most graphics intensive programs I run are macOS itself and Safari. Well, and maybe Numbers, which is a comatose sloth in performance. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You could always go in on the Sam Plan
If I was going to buy now, I'd probably get the mini and some external monitor. Which is why it's so obnoxious that Apple doesn't sell a 5K consumer monitor. I don't care about the m1 vs m1x. It's about a 27" 5K vs 24" 4K.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I successfully rolled my saving throw versus temptation and avoided ordering an iMac this AM. Preorders are up at reliable retailers too so stock seems to be pretty plentiful, just 3 weeks out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Second saving throw made in store today. They only had base models so I took my $540 turn in credit for 2018 iPad Pro and put it on an Apple gift card. Bring on the 27”+ refresh!

The 24s loom awesome but definitely glossy screen. I can wait.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
Second saving throw made in store today. They only had base models so I took my $540 turn in credit for 2018 iPad Pro and put it on an Apple gift card. Bring on the 27”+ refresh!

The 24s loom awesome but definitely glossy screen. I can wait.
I'm really waiting for the next gen M1 chip - this is going to be "THE" video editing processor and definitely worth the wait. I'm not satisfied with my PC build at all for video processing (5900X + RTX 3090 + Resolve 17)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks