What's new

M. Night Shyamalan's GLASS (1/18/19) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm disappointed that we have to endure Sarah Paulson if we want to watch Glass.
I think she's an excellent actress. Perhaps, I'm in the minority.
You definitely are not, as attested by all of the critical adoration she receives.

But I appreciate Malcolm posting that; it's nice to know I'm not the only one who can't stand Paulson.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I loved Unbreakable. It’s my favorite Shyamalan film, although I love some others, too. Split is excellent with a terrific performance by James McAvoy. The way he shifts from character to character is remarkable.

And I also love Sarah Paulson. She’s done some sensational work on American Horror Story. And I think she’s just coming into her own now. I was thrilled to see she was in Glass.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can't speak for anyone else, but when I see her in something, I don't see a complete performance, I see an actor showing how hard they're acting. It doesn't help that I find many of her performances to be very similar, to the point where it feels that I'm watching the same character regardless of the film/show. My wife thinks she's utterly fantastic, so I really thought I was the only one who didn't care for her.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And I also love Sarah Paulson. She’s done some sensational work on American Horror Story. And I think she’s just coming into her own now. I was thrilled to see she was in Glass.
She grabbed my attention way back when she was on a few episodes of Deadwood and I became a fan of hers when she was on Studio 60 (an Aaron Sorkin TV show).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I liked Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip more than most, but I have to admit that there was something about the combination of her in the role, along with the way that her character was written, that made it really difficult for me to like her. I just didn't get why Matthew Perry's character was so into her. Sorkin is usually better than this, but I felt in that show that he broke my old screenwriting professor's cardinal rule: show, don't tell. In "Studio 60," Sorkin tells us a lot of things rather than showing us - he tells us the show within the show is hilarious and cutting edge, but what we see of the show is neither of those things, and he tells us that Paulson's character is a one-of-a-kind talent, but doesn't actually show that either.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I would actually say that "Studio 60" is probably the show that initially triggered my dislike of her. Sorkin obviously adored her, and thought her attractiveness was so self-evident that he didn't need to do the work to make us adore her. That left a bad taste in my mouth that has colored subsequent performances.

Likewise, Ryan Murphy casting her in everything also left me with way more Paulson than I was needing or wanting.

But my main issue with her is that she sort of falls into the same category as Meryl Streep to me: I'm never not aware that she's giving a performance. I much prefer the kind of naturalistic performances that allow me to forget I'm watching acting and allow me to simply buy into the character and the fictional world.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It’s funny that you say that about Streep as I feel exactly the same but I loved Paulson on 60.
It was the first time I was aware of her and she was one of the reasons I loved that show.

I remember that 60 and 30 Rock came out the same year and figured that 30 would be a typical dopey sitcom and would outlast the much better 60.

Turns out that happened but 30 actually was a very good and well written show.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I first noticed Paulson years ago as the ghost sister in American Gothic with Gary Cole, and I really fell in love with her in Down with Love. But her work on AHS was a revelation. I don’t know too many actors who could pull off playing the conjoined twins in AHS: Freak Show as successfully as she did and make you see two distinct characters sharing that body.

What I find so fascinating is how strong a lot of the reactions to her are. I just think she’s a marvelous actress, like Jessica Lange, but there are people who loathe her and people who are freakishly devoted to her. I go to the Paley Fest for AHS every year and the Paulson fans that show up are, shall we say, “intense” for a polite word. She’s not someone I thought would engender so much emotion either way.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I really disliked Unbreakable but didn't realize it, Split, and now this were all tied together until recently. I heard Split was quite good but I never got around to seeing it.

I may suck it up and stream all 3 when they hit the streets to see what all is going on in this world of theirs.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Mini review of “Glass”:

“Glass” was half-empty.

MNS did not stick the landing.,,.

I was with the movie for the first 45 minutes. Then it becomes...I dunno...boring? Too many contrivances for my liking to get the plot when MNS wanted it to go. And then the hoops it jumps through in the last 10 minutes.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I found it to be disappointing. I re-watched Unbreakable and Split earlier this week and Glass is nowhere near the caliber of either of those. It's not a terrible film, but not very good either. I didn't mind the slow build, but the second half of the film wasn't really much of a payoff.

I'm still glad I saw it since I wanted to see how it all ends. I just doubt I'll ever re-visit this one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It felt like they ran out of money or something and did a re-write to wrap things up, rather, eh-ingly so. (I just made up that word, but it just made me go "eh").

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If it weren't for McAvoy and Anya Taylor-Joy, I would have found Split pretty unbearable. I'll definitely wait until Glass is out on disc or streaming before investing any of my time to watch it. I have zero desire to see it in a theater.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This movie hurts my “movie-spirit” .

I love Unbreakable so much but this one is a big dud.

The end of this movie doesn’t even do it right.

I’m so unhappy about this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.