What's new

Low tech theater solution needed: cheap switch for multiple video sources? (1 Viewer)

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I bought my inlaws a DVD player for Chanukah. I forgot that 2 years ago when we "lent" them a spare VCR I had to go through huge hoops to wire everything together. Here is the situation:

1 cabinet TV from the 80's with only composite in video and coax in. I think it also has L/R audio but not sure. Assume Coax in only.

1 VCR
1 Comcast Cable Box
1 DVD player (has Svideo, composite and l/R audio outs)

We currently have an A/B switcher for the VCR and Cable box. I want to see if there is another solution besides an A/B/C switchbox.

Any ideas? Please be specific as to retailer, too, if possible.

Thank you very much.

Ivan

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I think the A/B/C Switchbox is about as low tech as you can go for this application. Hopefully, you're using composites for your current switch. If not, I would get that one as it really simplifies everything w/ their color coded cables. I think you should be able to get one for $20.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

That does not work well. The MacroVision copy protection detects the signal going through a VCR and makes the brightness fade in/out/in/out every few seconds.

The A/B/C switchbox IS the easiest to figure out. They will quickly learn what button is what source.

If you want more complex to use, but no new hardware solution:

-CATV to CATV Box
- Output of CATV box with a coax cable to VCR
- VCR into one side of the existing A/B switch box with composite
- DVD into the other side of the existing A/B switch box.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Thanks for putting down the specifics on how to do it with the existing hardware. It's the kind of thing that drives me crazy. Since they are 69 and 70 years old respectively I think the a/b/c switcher is the answer. K.I.S.S. theory in effect. I told my father-in-law about it and he asked if there was a remote control for the switchbox. :) I told him they don't make anything like that. (I bet they do but it's probably expensive.)

As far as into the VCR, I may try that but the last time I did at home I ran into the DVD player detecting the VCR and Macrovisioning the signal. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks