What's new

LOTR - In-depth DVD review (without screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
Good review. I look forward to the disc.

However:
When I watched Attack of the Clones I remember vividly feeling completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of detail Lucas rammed into nearly every frame, it was almost sensory overload – there was just too much of it – everything was so busy, fighting for space and squeezing the life out of the very substance of the film. And then you watch a film like Lord of the Rings and you see finally that you can allow for exquisite, fine detail without suffocating the viewer. This, surely, is how a fantasy world should be created!
Glad to see people are still capable of complimenting FOTR without putting down a random Star Wars movie.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Hey, thanks for the review man. One question though, I remember when I saw it in the theatres, the battle at the beginning seemed a bit blurred. Did you notice this on the dvd, or did I just have a bad theatre experience? Thanks

Hello

I am really pleased that you guys liked the review. In reply to many of the questions answered above:

Equipment list:

Lexicon MC-12
Bryston 9BSST
Bryston 4BSST
Tannoy TD12 Fronts
Tannoy TD10 Rears
Tannoy TDC Centre
Tag McLaren DVD32R DVD Player
REL Stentor III Subwoofers
Chord Chorus interconnects (analogue sources)
Chord Prodac interconnect
Chord Odyssey speaker cable
HT300 Projection system

I should clarify my comments about the preview contained on the DVD. Sean (Hi there by the way) is absolutely spot on. It seems somewhat silly to me that there is an embargo on discussing the contents as it is getting fans worked up into a frenzy (perhaps this is the point) as to what may be contained within its' 10 short minutes. When I say that there isn't much that you won't have seen in the trailer I mean that there are no great revelations and so don't get too excited or you may be disappointed and this could turn to bitterness. Perhaps the most exciting thing is extended footage and views of a little monster who has a predilection for collecting precioussss rings... But I should say no more.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
the battle at the beginning seemed a bit blurred. Did you notice this on the dvd, or did I just have a bad theatre experience?
I noticed a lot of blurring when I watched it at the theater. I don't think it will be problem on the DVD, but would like a confirmation :)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
RE: the blurring of the battle:

I assumed that was intentional on PJ's part -- just a way to convey the swirl of motion and frenetic nature of battle.

However, I could be wrong and it was just bad projection.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Pfff, Justin what kind of crappy set up is that to run FOTR?
My sentiments exactly! I mean, how can you really trust what Justin said about the DVD when it's being played through that kind of equipment? Until you've reviewed it using a Bose Lifestyle system and a Sony Watchman, I don't want to hear another word. :D

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Lexicon MC-12
Bryston 9BSST
Bryston 4BSST
Tannoy TD12 Fronts
Tannoy TD10 Rears
Tannoy TDC Centre
Tag McLaren DVD32R DVD Player
REL Stentor III Subwoofers
Chord Chorus interconnects (analogue sources)
Chord Prodac interconnect
Chord Odyssey speaker cable
HT300 Projection system
Impressive, most impressive.

Can't wait for the 6th!!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I think that it will be interesting to compare the content of the SE released in Nov. and the Theatrical version. Not the content of the actual film, but the packages as a whole. Peter Jackson is a big ol' movie geek and was a staunch supporter of LD's back in the day. His FRIGHTENERS box set stands as one of the finest sets to be released on the format. I think it's fairly easy to assume that the current release is representative of what a studio marketing department thinks of as a SE and that the November release will be more representative of what PJ considers a SE. Basically, in August we'll have lots of repurposed EPK material and in November we'll have our Geek Goodies. Not particularly relevant to anything, I know, but interesting to compare nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks