What's new

Lost In Space: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Fox never sent it for review, so I was glad to be able to take advantage of this great sale this morning.
The Transfers are amazing and some great special features. Only negative is the packaging - but otherwise an excellent set!. (special guest appearance by Veronica Cartwright in the read-through of Bill Mumy's script ...)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Transfers are amazing and some great special features. Only negative is the packaging - but otherwise an excellent set!. (special guest appearance by Veronica Cartwright in the read-through of Bill Mumy's script ...)
One episode is not night of original broadcast but other than that, it's a terrific set.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I've been waiting for a price drop on this one, so I finally went ahead and pulled the trigger. Now I have to save up for The Twilight Zone and/or The Monkees on blu.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
One episode is not night of original broadcast but other than that, it's a terrific set.
I'm guessing it's the one where Penny's scream was restored? If I read correctly it was the episode "There Were Giants in the Earth" and then again in the recap portion at the beginning of the following episode, "The Hungry Sea."

I looked through this, and other LIS threads for set information (NOB issues, quality, etc.) but the focus went off-target so often (with soundtrack and book discussions) it was difficult to keep up with what, if any, issues people were finding. That was the only one I saw brought up for lengthy conversation.

Several Amazon "reviews" talk about "bad" discs (won't play, scratched, etc.) and I was looking for information on that front. I've come away with the impression the majority of those issues can be "cured" with a simple disc cleaning.

I *finally* found the post where smithbrad dropped his custom inserts (here and here - you need both - great job! - I'd bookmarked it in case I purchased the series but the site changed servers/software in the interum and it no longer works) and the ones with links to/information on cases (here's casetopia's online store with what's needed and their ebay store where it might be less expensive after shipping is calculated - shipping is free on their ebay store) those fit and better suited to safe storage (thanks to all who originally posted those links!).

This is one show I "lusted" to see when it first aired but couldn't because we left for church 15 minutes after it started. All I got to see was the first 15 minutes before leaving the house. Then they move it to *Wednesday* nights - opposite Batman (grumble, grumble... what were they trying to do to us kids)!! But, again, we left for church 15 minutes after the start time. That season I chose 15 minutes of Batman because it ended the next night so I only missed a small block of the show. I was in college (early-mid 70s) before I finally saw the show in its entirety and then only *once* before the station running it dropped it from the schedule. Decades later I was able to watch occasionally when it was on Nic at Night but with one TV, a non-SF liking spouse, and kids who wanted to watch "something else" it was difficult. It wasn't until the DVDs were released that I truly saw it again, all the way through. The 10 year-old in me was thrilled, as was the adult! :)

I've been waiting on a "better" price and yesterday was the day! I ordered a copy and may take advantage of those replacement case resources should I find the packaging to be as bad as many say.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for a price drop on this one, so I finally went ahead and pulled the trigger. Now I have to save up for The Twilight Zone and/or The Monkees on blu.
I didn't have any problems with the packaging but be sure to spend some time to spot check all the episodes. There are many reviews on Amazon about unreadable discs and episodes freezing. I have 278 blu rays and never encountered a bad one so I didn't think much of those reports and bought this a month ago on sale for $59.99. Well I didn't have any unreadable discs but 2 episodes on disc 1 and 2 and 1 episode on the last disc freeze and skip just as reported. I didn't have time to check every episode but I am sure there were more. Since the price had gone back up I just wanted to exchange this but apparently there have been so many returns on this set Amazon won't exchange it anymore and just refunded my money. It does look like a nice set but a very frustrating experience. People that have tried these on a PC report that the bad discs are corrupted so this is poor quality control by Fox. I didn't see yesterdays sale in time or I would have tried it again. I will try one more time whenever I see this for $59.99 or less again.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For those that waited, it's on an Amazon sale @ $49.99. A much discounted price over what I paid.

I'm glad I got it though. Completely enjoyed it and probably the best produced TV on BD series I've ever had. Loaded with relevant and new commentaries and bonus features. And looks amazing. A steal if you were on the fence.
I checked Amazon Canada, where it unfortunately currently has a $142 price tag! :(

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I didn't have any problems with the packaging but be sure to spend some time to spot check all the episodes. There are many reviews on Amazon about unreadable discs and episodes freezing. I have 278 blu rays and never encountered a bad one so I didn't think much of those reports and bought this a month ago on sale for $59.99. Well I didn't have any unreadable discs but 2 episodes on disc 1 and 2 and 1 episode on the last disc freeze and skip just as reported. I didn't have time to check every episode but I am sure there were more. Since the price had gone back up I just wanted to exchange this but apparently there have been so many returns on this set Amazon won't exchange it anymore and just refunded my money. It does look like a nice set but a very frustrating experience. People that have tried these on a PC report that the bad discs are corrupted so this is poor quality control by Fox. I didn't see yesterdays sale in time or I would have tried it again. I will try one more time whenever I see this for $59.99 or less again.
That must have been a massive bummer for you, Randy! Here I thought it was only certain marketplace vendors that had gone the refund only route, but apparently this seems to be becoming a more common practice, all around! Isn't anyone willing to stand behind their product, anymore? The refund only option strikes me as such an easy cop out (Comparatively speaking!), but perhaps that's just my opinion!

This is just a thought, but perhaps as a future reference, contacting the studio directly might produce more success in getting the actual product replaced?

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah it was a bummer Tony. I had to call them because there was no exchange option on the website like they usually do so apparently its only for this set. As soon as I told them about freezing and skipping issues there were no more questions just that there were know problems with the set and all they could do is refund it. They didn't want the set back either which surprised me and made me think that they got instructions from fox not to take anymore back so Fox must be well aware of the issue. So I can probably play about 60% of the episodes without issue. My only concern about repurchasing this again is that even when I do get a set that works I'm not too confident that it will last very long.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Why is it Fox seems to be the studio with the most issues like this (well... other than Universal's DVD18s)? I *hate* having to "burn through" a series as soon as it arrives to check for issues! It's like when I purchased the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea DVDs - always anxious, awaiting the freeze/skip you think will be coming and not being able to *enjoy* watching a series. I had the same problem with my Land of the Giants set (fortunately was able to get a replacement) - also Fox.

Has anyone contacted Fox about this? You'd think if it's as wide-spread as it appears (~15% or better if Amazon "reviews" can be trusted) there'd be *some* type of replacement program.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yeah it was a bummer Tony. I had to call them because there was no exchange option on the website like they usually do so apparently its only for this set. As soon as I told them about freezing and skipping issues there were no more questions just that there were know problems with the set and all they could do is refund it. They didn't want the set back either which surprised me and made me think that they got instructions from fox not to take anymore back so Fox must be well aware of the issue. So I can probably play about 60% of the episodes without issue. My only concern about repurchasing this again is that even when I do get a set that works I'm not too confident that it will last very long.
At least Fox let you keep the discs, for what that's worth!

If it were me, I'd be tempted to contact Fox about the defective discs, and see whether they'd be willing to send replacements for the problematic ones! They may or may not do anything about it, but I'm thinking it couldn't hurt to make an inquiry, at least!

CHEERS! :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is only speculation on my part but because of the size of this set I am guessing fox didn't want to take anymore returns back from amazon so they are just offering refunds for defective sets. They probably pressed a lot of these sets and would rather go through existing stock before doing a replacement program. Although it was a frustrating experience most people won't complain about being refunded and not having to return the product. I have never experienced a problem with any DVD-18 or flipper disc but this sounds like the same thing freezing and skipping and it happens on second half of episode 2 and all of episode 3 so its probably related to the layer change.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
If it were me, I'd be tempted to contact Fox about the defective discs, and see whether they'd be willing to send replacements for the problematic ones! They may or may not do anything about it, but I'm thinking it couldn't hurt to make an inquiry, at least!
Yeah I may give that a shot. They may not since I already received a refund but its worth a try.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah I may give that a shot. They may not since I already received a refund but its worth a try.
Fox won't know that you've received a refund from Amazon unless you tell them. I'd not mention it unless they ask and also wouldn't say just *where* I made the purchase unless asked. Simply state something along the lines of: "I purchased a BR copy of LIS and have playback issues on some discs. The return time has passed with the original vendor so I'm asking you for resolution since you're the manufacturer and ultimately responsible." If they ask when/where I'd tell them but omit the refund part - unless they ask. Even if they ask I'd still say "Yes, I received a refund but would *still* like to obtain replacement discs that work and would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for the replacement."

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This is only speculation on my part but because of the size of this set I am guessing fox didn't want to take anymore returns back from amazon so they are just offering refunds for defective sets. They probably pressed a lot of these sets and would rather go through existing stock before doing a replacement program. Although it was a frustrating experience most people won't complain about being refunded and not having to return the product. I have never experienced a problem with any DVD-18 or flipper disc but this sounds like the same thing freezing and skipping and it happens on second half of episode 2 and all of episode 3 so its probably related to the layer change.
Yep. That's exactly what it sounds like. *All* my issues with Fox DVDs occur at the layer change. Some have not even been able to play the second layer at all. The discs "look" OK so I've never known if it's a physical issue or just poor authoring. I've just assumed physical because I don't see how a layer change can be the fault of authoring - but I'm certainly no expert in that area.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You guys have me scared. I bought the blu-ray set of LiS at Best Buy back during the week of its release. I haven't had time to watch the whole set. I've watched it up to Mr. Nobody. I'm going to have to do some research if this play back problem might be more prone to a particular season or a specific disc, episodes specific or more prone on certain players. And I'll have to try to watch more episodes.

There's too much to watch and so little time!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In my experiences, Fox Connect has been very good about issuing replacements, whether it was for a known defect or just a faulty disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks