What's new

Lord of the Rings Extended Editions coming back to a theater near you (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been less than impressed with the technical quality of previous Fathom events I attended - it didn't seem like the digital source they used was nearly as high a quality resolution-wise as a standard digital theater presentation would be. But it's been a couple years, so maybe it's gotten better? Anyone have any recent experiences at a Fathom event? If it looks on par with the digital projection theaters have been using recently, I might be in... if it looks a lot closer to 1080i being projected on a screen too large for the signal, maybe less so.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
three nights? why not have a real event like the original trilogy tuesday? now that's something to brag about. :)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
'The Lord of the Rings' Trilogy Returning to Theaters, Remastered and Extended

The screenings will start with 2001’s The Fellowship Of The Ring on June 8, then 2002’s The Two Towers on June 9, followed by 2003’s The Return Of The King on June 10.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Curious to know how these films will look using "the versions that the filmmaker remastered in 2020 for a 4K Ultra HD rerelease." I did a binge of all six films about 7 years ago. This sounds fun, as these first three are most enjoyable to me. Can the tailbone take the long, extended version times though? Haha! Anyone remember when Hobbit: Unexpected Journey was released in 48 frames per second (traditional is 24 fps) back in 2012?
lord of the rings GIF

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd be interested except the theater where these would play is an hour drive away and I'm not making that drive on three consecutive days.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Cinemark already showed these in January this year. They seem to come back every now and again, but not in a scheduling pattern that works for me. Even as an extremely frequent moviegoer, going three days in a row for very long films is too much. It would make more sense to take the approach of the Star Wars releases from 1997 and release them once a month, or even once a week. But then I guess these are going to be niche draws now anyway, especially in their extended format. If some people can carve out time to do this over three days, good for them.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd be interested if they're actually showing them on premium screens (and sound), especially since my AMC A-List membership apparently won't cover these, but not gonna spend $20/each (plus the travel cost) to try to get decent seats for non-premium screenings -- I already have the 4K discs and a good size FP setup (and good sound) at home.

I'm guessing it won't even actually be in 4K at the AMCs (and Regals) over here...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd be interested if they're actually showing them on premium screens
I would not expect that to be the case. My local Cinemark is just showing it on a standard screen (which will still be better than what I have at home.) But in June, especially, the premium screens are going to be occupied by big summer blockbusters. If they were going after premium screens for this, it would be more likely to release in a period on the calendar where there isn't much else coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks