What's new

Looking to upgrade A/V receiver after 12 years (1 Viewer)

djyamix

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle Yamasaki
Hello everyone,

I'm Kyle (djyamix) and new to the forum. So, I finally took the plunge to HDTV when my 12 year old 35" Mitsubishi went away like the dinosaurs. I haven't been following A/V trends closely until recently, as I'm re-engergized with my recent HDTV purchase.

My current A/V receiver (Denon) is as old as my former TV. It doesn't support HDMI or any other recent acronyms now being favored in the modern A/V receivers.

My question to the gurus that frequent this forum is what would you recommend for the following scenario?

Home Theater scope:

12' x 23' family room
Blu-ray player
PS2
Wii
Netflix via Roku
(considering connecting old VHS/DVD combo for kids use)
music stream for iPod
Needs WAF (Wife Approved Factor--i.e. ease of use)

I have a budget of ~$1200 (+/-). Value & longevity of receiver is important as I do not upgrade frequently.

Since I have several lower resolution devices (PS2, Wii, VHS/DVD combo), is it worthwhile to look for a receive that can upconvert w/ video processing?

Any recommendations to look at and compare would be appreciated before I head out to the store to "kick the tires".

TIA!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For $1200 I'd go to Best Buy and look in the Magnolia HiFi area at Denon and Pioneer Elite. Also Fry's for the Onkyo 876/906. Others to consider are Marantz and Yamaha.
Almost any receiver you get for that budget should have very good video capabilities. The Onkyo 906 looks real good on paper, but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet and some have voiced dis-pleasure with some other Onkyo models video up-conversion abilities. But the 906 seems to have a lot to offer in that area.

Better deals can usually be had on-line, though.

Also, what speakers are you using or planning on getting?

djyamix

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle Yamasaki
Thanks for your recommendations. I have some older Inifinity tower, surrounds and powered sub. Down the road, I'd like to upgrade the speakers. I thought the Martin Logan were interesting at the Magnolia store. But definitely something I'll have to save up for. Any recommendations on speakers that listen too?

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I just bought a Denon 3808CI at 6ave.com for less than $1100, no tax, and free shipping. You will need to use a coupon.

Coupon Code good through 1/31/09: AFLDEN1098
Sixth Avenue Coupons

I hope this helps.

djyamix

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle Yamasaki
Wow! Great price! Was it the price that sold you on the Denon? Have you purchased from 6ave before? I'm always leery on high $ purchases online, especially for electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks