What's new
World Wide Stereo

Looking for a good dvd player (1 Viewer)

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I currently am using my xbox for my dvd playing chores. While the picture is fairly good I have decided to go to a better player. I want a progressive scan player that can upconvert to 1080i via component(preferably) or dvi. I have the Hitachi 57uwx20b Tv set. I want a player that is nice quality, but I would like to stay under 250-300 if possible.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You may want to give the Denon 1910 a look. Scaling over DVI, Faroujda deinterlacing, chroma bug free mpeg decoder, $270 retail, $250 street. No component scaling but I doubt you'll see that outside of the Liteon 2001, Momitsu V880, and zenith 318, reason being that the studios don't want un-copy-protected signals to be used and macrovision doesn't work past 480p (why i don't know). I would get one of these in a heart beat if the DVI input on my projector were HDCP compatible, but for now i'm stuck w/ my Bravo D1.

Hope this helps :)

are the zeniths still upconverting over component? When did/is the firmware changing?

nm just found it.. july

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
>>are the zeniths still upconverting over component?

Yes. Just received the Zenith DVB318 from Amazon.com and it does the upconvert over component.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
Ok thanks I'll look into the denon, it sounds pretty good. what is HDCP? Will I see a major improvement over my xbox with the denon?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
A review over at AVS said they were nearly identical on a 36" set but the Denon had the edge on larger displays (RPTV and Front Projection systemr). The Zennith has a problem w/ white crush over DVI but not over component.

HDCP is High Definition Copyright Protection. It's an encryption system for digital HD Video. Some projectors and displays that were the first to add DVI don't have this, but most do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks