What's new

Long time listener, first time caller - need some techie advice for HT Setup (1 Viewer)

TheAmericanStig

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Mods, please feel free to move this to another area if it's wrong here - but my topic mostly revolves around speakers.

I'm currently running a Mitsubishi WD-57732 (57" DLP w/ 1080P capable). I haven't tuned nor tweaked the set yet, it's a few years old now. Also have an old JVC Rx-6008V powering a Frankenstein-type setup comprised of 2 Bose fronts and an off-brand Center. This is the living room setup. TV is going downstairs (soon to be the den of sorts), and a new audio system will be put in place.

Area is a cornered-off section, with no limitations on where to put things. TV could go in corner or against side of wall. 1/2 of basement where I will have the setup is 19'x15.'

Primary purpose will be TV, Gaming (on XBOX360 running component), DVD, (now on 360, soon to be Blu-Ray), and occasionally music (moreso if it sounds good).

Budget was initially under $1k aimed at a HTIB, but considering how long I will keep it, (longer than my TV), I'm willing to spend between 1500-2500 for a killer setup that will sound great with Halo or GTAIV, any Blu-Ray, and even some Tiesto :D

Heard the Paradigm Cinema 110 L/Rs with similar centers and rears powered by a Yamaha RX-V663 by recommendation at a trusted retailer. Sounded good, but considering a bigger/badder setup. I was looking at Klipsch, specifically the RF-52 setup. Friend and techie recommended Paradigm's MiniMonitor or Atom Monitor series, powered by Onkyo TX-SR806 or if budget allows the TX-SR876.

I'm trying my best to as much research as possible. I'm more familiar with the specs of guitar amps/speakers and cars than I am home theatre/stereo.

Appreciate any feedback you guys can give.

TheAmericanStig

Auditioning
Real Name
John
To summarize for a shorter read, my budget is between $1500-2500, and I want to build a killer setup for gaming and movies.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For movies and gamming you're going to want a killer sub. SVS is the most recommended around here with HSU and Elemental Designs following closely behind. Personally, I like a softer, warmer sound for music but for movies/gamming a brighter sound might be better.

Speakers I'd look into would be Axiom's, Rocket (from AV123.com), Polk RTAi's and RTi's, one of the SVS packages and those from Elemental Designs. There are others but this should keep you busy for awhile.

As for the receiver, anything from Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. in your price/feature range should be O.K. Spend more time and money on the speakers and sub.

TheAmericanStig

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I have heard a lot of good stuff about Klipsch, but see nothing about the RF-52 setup on any forum, and hardly any reviews online. What gives? Are they just not cutting it?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Klipsch Reference series is a fine speaker but with it's horn tweeter many feel it's just too "bright" for extended listening. If they are pleasing to your ears then by all means, get them
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. Also, many members here feel that a better value can be obtained by purchasing speakers and subs from an internet only manufacturer such as AV123, TheAudioInsider, Axiom, Ascend, SVS and others. But there's nothing wrong with getting a more main-stream brand. I have Infinity Beta's in one room and love them.

As for the RF-52's, I have no idea why you can't find more "ink" about them. The Klipsch sound seems to be a love it or hate it one but there are quite a few Klipsch fans on these forums.

TheAmericanStig

Auditioning
Real Name
John
After reading up quite a bit about Paradigm's, I'm fairly certain I'm going to go with the mini-monitors. Still not sure about S or C, but def. Paradigm as well.
Anyone have luck with any particular vender online? Or even going straight to Canada? (weak dollar might prevent that)...

itschuck2c

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Move up to the titan monitors, and go to 6ave.com for prices..i think a pair can be had for less than 400 bucks.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

You definitely want your LF, C and RF speakers to be from the same series by the same manufacturer. This will ensure that they are "timbre-matched", with the same tonal quality, and will thus produce a seamless front soundstage. Mismatched speakers will leave with an audible shift in the "feel" of the sound as effects, dialogue and music pan from one side of the screen to the other. It is nice to match the surround speakers as well, if you can manage it, but not as important as they are used mostly for FX and "fill", and since sound rarely pans smoothly from back to front. (And because in real life sound coming from the sides or from behind us tends to sound different than sound coming from directly ahead.) Don't make the mistake of thinking of the front left and right speakers as the "mains" and the center as an afterthought or option. It is the speaker that will carry most of the dialogue. It is critical that it not only be of high quality but that it match the LF and RF speakers - because the three together constitute your "main speakers".

Regards,

Joe

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
Ditto on matching the fronts and center.

Long read here so be forewarned!

About one year ago I went through a similar process of choosing upgrades to my speakers. My initial impression of Klipsh was wonderful and I thought I would go ahead and get a set. Because of warnings from others I decided to take more of MY music to a local retailer and do side by side A/B switching between Klipsch and Def Techs as someone was highly recommending Def Techs. It quickly became apparent that the highs that at first were so "pleasing" actually became quite annoying after 15-20 mins of listening to Klipsch. I do not remember all the models I listened to in all fairness though, but they were floor standing and the bookshelf models. I know the RF-52's were included. The Def Techs on the other hand had a warmer and seemingly more accurate reproduction of the highs. I remember after one track with repeated high hat strikes I was whincing with the Klipsch, where the Def Techs tended to blend into the experience without harsh tones. I actually felt myself relax and enjoy what I can only describe as a "warmer-fuller soundstage"

My search was not over though. I just could not pop for the Def Techs, there was something still nagging me. I went to another boutique type store and fortunately they sold Def Techs and Paradigms. I listened to the Mythos from DefTech and the Millinia from Paradigm because I though they looked cool/sexy and actually fit into my decor better. ( I know, an estrogen filled moment! Hey I was shopping with girls!) Again, I just felt they were not as "warm and full" as the "box type" monitor 7's v5's from Paradigm. I listened for about an hour doing A/B switching between Def Techs and Paradigms of all models and the store manager was nice enough to allow me to stay put while he replaced the speakers using the same placement, dvd player, reciever, amp to drive them. I wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible.

I have to admit for the price, my listening preferences and volume levels, the Paradigm Monitor 7's won hands down. Fortunately my friend loved the Mythos and she listened to her partner convince her that they would be much better with their decor....bless their hearts as they had a full set of mint Paradigm Monitor 7 v4's + CC370 and surrounds at home they were replacing. My gain because I worked out a deal on the spot and even though I got a version older the the v5's I felt I got a steal of a deal and a better sounding speaker than they purchased.

Ok to the point. Paradigm is now at v6 of the Monitors and from what I read the sound has improved if anything. At $379 you get killler floor fronts and you don't need to buy speaker stands! The CC is another issue. The prices are below.
The new Monitor Series v.6 lineup:

Atom Monitor – Two-driver 2-way bookshelf/stand-mounted: 5-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1˝ H-PTD™ dome; $149/ea
Mini Monitor – Two-driver 2-way bookshelf/stand-mounted: 6-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1˝ H-PTD™ dome; $219/ea
Titan Monitor – Two-driver 2-way bookshelf/stand-mounted: 7-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1˝ H-PTD™ dome; $279/ea

Monitor 7 – Four-driver 2-1/2-way floorstanding: Two 5-1/2˝ carbon-infused polypropylene bass, 5-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass,1˝ H-PTD™ dome; $379/ea
Monitor 9 – Four-driver 2-1/2-way floorstanding: Two 6-1/2˝ carbon-infused polypropylene bass, 6-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass,1˝ H-PTD™ dome; $499/ea
Monitor 11 – Four-driver 2-1/2-way floorstanding: Two 7-1/2˝ carbon-infused polypropylene bass, 7-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1˝ H-PTD™ dome; $699/ea
CC-190 – Four-driver 3-way center channel: Two 5-1/2˝ carbon-infused polypropylene bass, 3-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1˝ H-PTD™ dome: $299
CC-290 – Four-driver 3-way center channel: Two 6-1/2˝ carbon-infused polypropylene bass, 4-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1˝ H-PTD™ dome; $499
CC-390 – Seven-driver 3-way center channel: Four 6-1/2˝ carbon-infused polypropylene bass, two 4-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1˝ H-PTD™ dome; $699
ADP-190 – Four-driver 2-way surround/rear: Two 5-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass, two 1˝ H-PTD™ domes; $249/ea
ADP-390 – Five-driver 3-way surround/rear: One carbon-infused polypropylene bass, two 4-1/2˝ M-ICP™ mid/bass, two 1˝ H-PTD™ domes; $429/ea

*All prices are US FMV. Monitor Series v.6 bookshelf and floorstanding speakers are available in Cherry, Rosenut, Black Ash or the new Wengé finish; Atom Monitor is also available in White. ADP-190 and
ADP-390 are available in Black or White.

I will break to the next reply as this is too long already!

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
con't

I absolutely LOVE my center channel and I believe it can be compared to the CC290. The Timbre matching is perfect. I never feel as if I need more of a center channel.

OK, enough gushing about Paradigm.

The next item to consider and one I think is just as important is the sub. To be honest at $2500 total for all I think you will be wanting after 6-12 months of "settling" for a budget sub.

Sample system;
Paradigm Monitor 7 v6 floors and CC190 would be ~ $1100-1200
Surrounds maybe ~ $300
That leaves only ~ $1000 for a sub and a reciever.
http://av123.com/component/option,co...d,9/Itemid,37/
This MFW-15 from AV123 might fill the bill at $699
This leaves a scant $300 for a AV-reciever...

Whew, this brings back memories! Good luck with all the choices. Don't shy away from online sources, they rock at great prices. Just make sure to get recommendations from those that have gone before you. Many have great return policies.

Oh yeah, I cannot sign out without a nod to SVS for a sub, I just don't know if it fits into your budget yet.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Looks like the price has not changed over the years. I have a set of v1 Monitor 9s which I bought new between 8 and 10 years ago and are still used in my HT.

TheAmericanStig

Auditioning
Real Name
John
The ADP-190s are more expensive than the mini-monitors - hard to understand. SO many options, Thanks SHS for all your info, I just need to crunch numbers and see what I'm willing to use.

Now I need to figure out how to power these properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks