What's new

Loewe Aconda V Arcam FMJ DV27: Which progressive scan do I use? (1 Viewer)

JerryBenner

Auditioning
I have just reached the digital age and I’m not yet sure that it’s a good thing. I lack the knowledge base to be able to make a few decisions that are now upon me now and I was hoping that some of you could lend me your expertise until I can come to speed with this new technology?

I teach U.S. History with a heavy emphasis on how powerful an influence film is within our culture and how it shapes our belief systems of what our past was like. For all these years my home theater set-up was not much to talk about and I thought that it was about time for someone who is so wrapped up in film to try to enjoy it at home as much as I do going to the local cinema. I have just purchased a brand new Loewe Aconda 38 in metallic silver (at $3700.00, which I hope was a good deal, and am waiting for my DVD player to arrive this Friday. That player is a Arcam FMJ DV27 which I got not only for the film like display it delivered in all my auditions of it but also the amazing quality of its sound reproduction which I feel is a huge step forward compare to my Sony DVP-S7700.

Now the problem or lack of knowledge that I face is that both have the ability to Progressive scan or as some of you refer the process is line doubling.

Here are my questions:
1. Which of the Progressive Scanning units do I use the Loewe Aconda or the Arcam FMJ DV27 and why? Or is this one of those problems that can only be solved by looking at how well each unit does and decide which is the best?
2. I think that if I use the Loewe Aconda I would then turn off the progressive scanning in the Arcam FMJ DV27 and use it in interlace mode? What if I decide to use the Arcam in Progressive mode how do I turn off the Loewe Aconda? Would I made the connection to what is listed in the set-up menu as the “DVD C-Video 480p” and having done this when playing the Arcam through this connection the Loewe Aconda would then disable its own Progressive scanning unit?
3. I’m waiting for my AVIA dvd to arrive to do the in-home adjustments. Would it be better (seeing the amount of money now in the system) to get an ISF technician to come to the house to calibrate the set?
4. Any advice or tweaks that you would know about either of these units would be appreciated.

I know that this is a busy time of the year for all of us so I would like to say “THANK YOU” to everyone and anyone for your time and effort in this matter.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I also have the Aconda. In order to bypass the internal doubler of the Loewe you have to use a transcoder box that takes the component signal and sends it to the Loewe via the VGA connection. No matter what you hook to the Loewe the internal doubler takes over except as I mentioned above. I have a Sony 9000ES DVD and I just hook it up with S-Video cables or component cables. The picture really doesn't look much different one way or the other.

Hope this helps.

P.S.

Not all transcoder boxes are the same.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
If you do a search in the hardware sale area there are some KeyDigital transcoders for sale. Saw one for $199 the other day. I have a AudioAuthority transcoder I would also be willing to sell.

Good luck.

JerryBenner

Auditioning
I'll ool around for one and get back to on my progress or lack of it. Thank you, again, for all of your help.

Gary_C

Auditioning
Jerry,

Where did you buy your 38" Aconda for just $3,700?
I believe that this is a very good deal as I'm still trying to bargain with a B&M dealer here in SoCal and got him down to only $4500 from $5000.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks