What's new

Local Source Select for Zone 2 Audio Room (1 Viewer)

Plokij

Grip
Real Name
Paul
I was pondering this earlier as I was drawing up my wiring plans:
Consider a bedroom which is setup to be setup as a zone 2 off of the main receiver in a closet in a different room. Is there a simple wiring + hardware configuration I can employ to add an audio source that is local to bedroom (say through an iPod hookup in the bedroom) where I don't have to run cables back to a switch in the main AV closet?
I couldn't think of a way, but I get the feeling there must be.
Thanks for reading...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Sonos system will run iTunes from a server and feed it to zone 2. You would control it from your iPod (if it's one of those touch screen ones). Another option would be a wireless access point (WAP) that you plug the iPod into. You would need something on the other end to decode the digital music into analog.

Plokij

Grip
Real Name
Paul
schan1269 said:
Or if an Apple product is all you are going to use, buy a receiver that lets Airplay go out zone 2.
This is exactly what I will do. Thanks for your comments!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...
"Airplay over Zone 2" has some hiccups and headaches you need to be made aware of...
In Denon(unless you buy the 3312/4311...even that may have changed with firmware updates) you can only use Airplay if Zone 1 is involved(but zone 1 doesn't have to be playing anything...lots of threads all over every forum imaginable)
Pioneer/Elite on SOME models(read, the ones that are at least $800) lets Airplay happen over Zone 2 unencumbered. However, find a few models and read threads on various forums dedicated to the model(s) you choose to choose from.
One "common" thing, both your Ipod/Iphone/Ipad and the receiver have to be on the same network connection(all Airplay receivers have at least an ethernet...some are wifi capable, even some others have a built in wifi dongle...the "more you pay" the less headache you run into)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks