What's new

Let's Hear it for the companies that transferred their libraries (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It's the I want my cake and eat it to ideology that may have even stopped some of these shows from being shelled out because people want them not only in tact but pristine in quality.

I'll lay you 50-1 odds that if I had been that way about Emergency! (if any fan of that great 70s NBC medical/action series had been that way about it), we wouldn't have it to enjoy on DVD today.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that such a position as I described above is a reasonable one from my point of view. I'm with you that I think having access to something, even if it's only streaming, is better than not having access in any form. But some people are sticklers on the issue of having a physical copy.
I got it that you were clarifying your understanding of what others have expressed and that it wasn't your personal view. I didn't mean to come off differently, if I did.

Physical media is straight forward, but streaming has variations. There is accessing a service a streaming and whatever is currently available. There is buying content digitally and having it in the cloud for future access at any time (a type of ownership). There is downloading the digital copy to be played back on a registered physical device. For some, owning in the cloud or having a registered digital copy downloaded is just as much ownership as having a disk in hand.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
I've always wished that ShoutFactory would have reissued Stoney Burke on BD because, unlike first season Outer Limits TOS on DVD, Frontiere's scoring was hit with a lot less audio compression-either during the original analog mix during post production back in the early 60s and/or when it was digitized. Substantially more dynamics and lower distortion. Of course, I've tried for years but now have given up trying to interest Intrada, La La Land and other soundtrack labels to release my A-list of Stoney Burke suites and cues.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I've always wished that ShoutFactory would have reissued Stoney Burke on BD because, unlike first season Outer Limits TOS on DVD, Frontiere's scoring was hit with a lot less audio compression-either during the original analog mix during post production back in the early 60s and/or when it was digitized. Substantially more dynamics and lower distortion. Of course, I've tried for years but now have given up trying to interest Intrada, La La Land and other soundtrack labels to release my A-list of Stoney Burke suites and cues.
I wish they would re-release that show simply because the dvd price is jacked up online last time I checked. Same with Wide country. I do wish someone would come along and release a compilation of late 50s and 60s scores of tv westerns. Jerry fielding did some good work too for the tv version of shane I would love to hear released.

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
I've come to accept the fact a few years ago that The Farmer's Daughter will probably never be remastered or re-run on TV again (let alone released on DVD). Instead, I've chosen to be grateful for the episodes we do have thanks to the few people who had the foresight to record it when it was shown on CBN in the mid 1980s. If it wasn't for them (and the 16mm collectors), we would have nothing.
"Temperatures Rising" is another Screen Gems show that's in a similar situation. There's quite a few Screen Gems shows that haven't been transferred to tape, unfortunately. I think this show last aired on USA Network in the 1980s. I once emailed Antenna TV asking about the series and they confirmed my belief that the show was never transferred to tape. They also said, in part, "…in some cases, episodes [are] lost or damaged so they don't bother transferring the show." I've got two 16mm prints myself, but episodes of those shows are hard to find, judging by personal experience.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I recall seeing an episode of Biography on A&E on Lee Marvin, and there were sharp-looking clips from M Squad, but I'd guess the tape transfers of the entire series were destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire!
Universal never did any tape transfers of M Squad.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
"Temperatures Rising" is another Screen Gems show that's in a similar situation. There's quite a few Screen Gems shows that haven't been transferred to tape, unfortunately. I think this show last aired on USA Network in the 1980s. I once emailed Antenna TV asking about the series and they confirmed my belief that the show was never transferred to tape. They also said, in part, "…in some cases, episodes [are] lost or damaged so they don't bother transferring the show." I've got two 16mm prints myself, but episodes of those shows are hard to find, judging by personal experience.
Yes, that's true, it aired on USA in the mid 80s. Prior to that, I was able to pick up a bunch on 16mm along with some other never syndicated shows, like Governor and JJ, Hey Landlord, etc.

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
Yes, that's true, it aired on USA in the mid 80s. Prior to that, I was able to pick up a bunch on 16mm along with some other never syndicated shows, like Governor and JJ, Hey Landlord, etc.
How many prints of the series do you own, if you don't mind me asking? Like I said, I've only found 2 in the last year, but granted, I started actively looking for prints of the series in 2022.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
How many prints of the series do you own, if you don't mind me asking? Like I said, I've only found 2 in the last year, but granted, I started actively looking for prints of the series in 2022.
I would have to check. I have a mixture of episodes from 16mm and from the USA airings. I think I'm only missing a couple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks