What's new

Legend: Ultimate Edition review up at DVDFile! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Peter,

Great review on your site!

Thanks for popping in here to say hello.

Universal shipped my copy out late. Can't

get a review up until Friday at the earliest.

todd stone

Screenwriter
You wont buy a movie because of a case??? Seriously then you are not a true fan of the film, sorry.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
After over 15 years of waiting...
...I got to see the 'longer version' of Legend, thanks to a screener sent to me by one of my beloved editors. (This screener held just the director's cut; no commentary, no features - but I'm certainly not complaining!)
Since this screener also had those "property of Universal" subtitles all over the place, I'm of course still planning to purchase a "real" copy of this set.
Even if this director's cut featured nothing more than a clean transfer and Goldsmith's reinstated score, it would still be a must-buy! This movie is simply gorgeous to look at!
Those expecting some earth-shattering changes via the 'new footage' may be in for a disappointment, but there are plenty of new character shadings and interesting additions. The plot's essentially the same, but this version has more of a "storybook" quality than the 89-minute version does.
Although I've only had this one taste of the Legend DVD, it's more than enough to keep me excited for May 21st. I cannot wait to hear Scott's commentary, and that 51-minute doc I've been reading about sounds terrific.
As a lifelong fan of Legend, I can wholeheartedly recommend this disc - although keep in mind that I've seen nothing but the director's cut - covered in Universal jargon... :frowning:
I can't wait to see what Ron thinks of this set! :)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
After reading the review again, I think Peter Bracke is missing one import issue: it was only the U.S. theatrical version that "were so mucked with to appease mainstream audiences"! Everbody else got the initial, slightly longer, theatrical release with the
wonderful Jerry Goldsmith score.
So, I guess that the director's cut will be an expanded
and more fine tuned version of the initial theatrical version. At least I hope so, otherwise I need to get the
R2 version of initial theatrical version as well..
RickardL,
That's basically the effect, from what I understand, but technically, it's sort of in reverse. The director's cut is the version that was intended to be the initial theatrical version. The initial UK release was hacked down from 114 minutes to 94 minutes, with some very awkward cuts and some really bad music edits (which really lessened the impact of Goldsmith's score, IMO). Then the American version was edited even further to 89 minutes, and the music was completely replaced.
So, the director's cut is not a fine-tuned version of the initial release; the initial release was a cut-down version of the director's cut. Sorry if I'm being too technical, or if I misunderstood your post. Hope all that helps. :)

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Bryan, yes, I know the background quite well but from

my point of view, it will seem like it "an expanded" version

of what I saw at the theatre in 1985. And with "fine tuned",

I meant better edited, so I have high hopes for it!

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Regarding the IGN DVD review: best yet!! Clearly Jeremy Conrad

did his homework before writing the review! Good Stuff!!

And DVDReview's wasn't bad either!!

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Regarding the IGN DVD review: best yet!! Clearly Jeremy Conrad

did his homework before writing the review! Good Stuff!!

And DVDReview's wasn't bad either!!
Thanks. Although I kind of owe it to an old friend of mine who loved Legend so much he would sort of "act out" the scenes that were edited out of the theatrical cut. And I'm not kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks