What's new

LEGEND DVD discussion thread (for ALL comments on packaging, transfer, film, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
"I have to say, i dislike the Goldsmith score heavily"

I have to agree. This is the first time I've seen the movie with the Goldsmith score. I swapped disks and watched a selection of scenes with both the Goldsmith and TD scores, and I have to say the TD music seemed a much better fit. In particular there were certain "dark" scenes that the Goldsmith score seemed too light and uplifting, while the TD score was ominous and brooding. I just couldn't get into it, and like you point out now I'm stuck with a lower quality U.S. version with ProLogic audio.

Rich

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't think the DPL soundtrack was all that bad on the US version. Noticably not as good as the DC, but still had a fair amount of bass. This is a good excuse for DPL II, which I normally don't like to use. I haven't tried it out in CS5.1 yet though.

Dan M

Second Unit
Yep, I too noticed the opening credits looking mighty blurry. The end credits weren't much better.

Let's face it, the US version is an extra. It was crammed in with all the other goodies.

Did anyone notice if it is a dual layer disc? I don't remember seeing a layer change on the US version.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just doing a little comparison again.

I just noticed a rather poor edit at 22:24-22:25 (ch 7 I believe) on the DC. The first Unicorn is running down the path, abruptly switches to the goblins who should be behind, then back to the second Unicorn. Quite noticable.

The DC does have a much better transfer than the US version.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Welp, I'm one of the biggest Legend fans in the universe, and this movie has been a long time coming. After absorbing everything this DVD has to offer, I've come back to say:
Thank you, Charlie de Lauzirika
Thank you, Ridley Scott
Thank you, Universal Home Video
I'm usually not such a smoochy guy, but I simply love this set and I'm thrilled to finally own it. I was the first to bitch at the delay notices, so I feel it's only right that I stop back to say 'all is forgiven' and thanks for giving the fans a real treat.
Every movie freak in the universe should have their favorite film receive this DVD treatment.

Paul W

Second Unit
Legend has a DTS track . . . .
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Funny . . . I never noticed. I don't recall seeing this in any of the reviews. After looking at the cover art above (which is very sweet, by the way) and seeing the DTS logo, I had to check my disk. Well, of course it was hard to see with the translucent background.
I feel like I have been robbed of 113 minutes. 113 Minutes I spent watching the DD 5.1 track. :frowning: :p)
Oh well. Such is life.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Add me to one of the many who liked the Tangerine Dream music :)
What I really would have liked is the DC version where lily sings to the unicorns and everything...but with 2 soundtrack options...either the goldsmith or the TD version.
That would be the *ultimate* legend. Still, I'm happy to have a 16x9 version of the theatrical and a great DC version as well.
-dave
p.s. also noticed how oddly blurry the credits are...opening and ending. Do you think this was done for artistic reasons?

Chris M

Second Unit
Wow, I've watched about 25 minutes of the Theatrical cut and must say I don't like it NEARLY as much as the DC. I think the TD soundtrack is interesting and it definately has more of a presence than the Goldsmith score, BUT, as they said in the 12 Monkey's documentary, the soundtrack is NOT supposed to be noticable, it's supposed to help the feeling of the scene, but shouldn't BE the scene.

Just my thoughts. I DEFINATELY like the DC more, the other cut just seems way too hacked to bits, and Darkness doesn't seem right seeing him so early.

Chris.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Ok, who was the genius who designed the Legend UE packaging? Did no one actually try to see how it would work before putting these things on store shelves? That stupid plastic sleeve will not stay shut AND with nothing to hold it back, the booklet falls out the bottom.

This is up there in the "cool but stupid" packaging sweepstakes along with T2.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think so. It's exactly the same as American Pie 2 Ultimate Edition. It is a very poor design. Seems like it will split apart after being opened 4-5 times.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Scratch up another mark for the Tangerine Dream score. After watching the DC for the 1st time, I can definitely say "if only the DC version had TD's score"!!! Now THAT would be the ulitmate edition, for me.
It certainly seems to be the case that, whatever version you saw 1st, really seems to stick with you. My personal feeling is that the TD score has so much more feeling/atmosphere than Goldsmiths' does. It "fits" better. But, it's just my opinion.
As for more fact than opinion, is that fact that the case sucks! Great artwork but, what's up with the non-closeable flap?!!? :confused: Someone actually thought that it was better than a real closing case?!!? WTF?!!?:thumbsdown: Seems like it's only a matter of time before the flap completely breaks off from weakening due to opening/closing.

Feng

Stunt Coordinator
I never knew Robert Picardo, the holo doctor from Star Trek Voyager had a role in this movie. Interesting.

Chris M

Second Unit
Feng, yeah I noticed at the end of the move: "Robert Picardo as Meg". I completely didn't remember who Meg was after watching the movie, so I looked it up online and found more info. Really funny stuff. Then later I watched the making of documentary (Very good BTW) and saw him talking about being her. Very cool stuff.

Chris.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Charles can answer this. Was Mr. Picardo's interviews shot on the Voyager set? That looked an awful lot like the mess hall disguised with careful lighting :)
I agree the case is terrible. If they insisted on using the clear plastic (the only bonus of which was it didn't tear when I took out the security tag) then why not put the title+Tom/Mia on a clear slipcase. That would have worked, and kept the thing closed
Sigh, I really wish it had just come in a double alpha

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Sigh, I really wish it had just come in a double alpha
Yes, that was my hope too, but Universal seems to love these stupid cases, which is okay for me, since it is good incentive not to buy their UE discs, Legend excepted. They have saved me hundreds of dollars so far.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Maybe Charles can answer this. Was Mr. Picardo's interviews shot on the Voyager set?
You bet it was. As J.M. Kenny was interviewing Robert Picardo, I geeked out in silence sitting next to an "observation port", looking at the "starfield" outside. The only downside: No Jeri Ryan sighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks