What's new

LEGEND DVD discussion thread (for ALL comments on packaging, transfer, film, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I forgot my comment about the Goldsmith score, which I have heard for the first time in the Director's Cut.
It works very well with the film, although there are two scenes - one early on and one towards the end - for which I can only characterize the music as "corny". However, for most of the film, the music is very atmospheric and evocative, and uses more varied and modern arrangements than I have remembered Goldsmith using in other films, in fact in some spots, the music even seems TD-like. ;)

Jo_C

Second Unit
If you really want to know the changes and additions in the "director's cut" of LEGEND, then by all means highlight the spoiler section, 'cause here we go...

1. A disclaimer that implies that the 89-minute cut is the original version (which of course it is not). The disclaimer actually reads, "this film has been modified from its original version to include additional material not in the original release". The 91/94- minute UK version WAS the original release, the U.S. version came a year later just before Tom Cruise made a name for himself in "Topgun".

2. There is no prologue roll-up (like in the U.S. release). After the Universal logo (the '70s version) we go straight into the movie. This was the case with the UK version.

3. The introduction to Darkness is extended slightly, but otherwise just like it was in the UK version, i.e. we don't actually see Darkness until after "The Dress Waltz".

4. We hear Lily sing the full version of "My True Love's Eyes" (from the soundtrack CD).

5. Lily's visit with Nell is extended, and we see the frozen-clock premonition that was included in the U.S. version.

6. Lily is referred to as "Princess" (where in the U.S. version she was a "lady").

7. Jack's introduction is longer, and we see Lily giving Jack the biscuits, which she stole from Nell's cottage.

8. The Goblin's approach to the forest is longer.

9. The introduction to the unicorns is longer.

10. One unicorn races in circles around Lily just before she sings "Living River" (the music here is tracked with "The Freeze" from the soundtrack).

11. The Freeze sequence is a bit longer.

12. The Goblins invading Nell's now-frozen cottage is longer.

13. The Fairies sequence is longer, and although dialogue in Gump's toast to Jack is extended, this is essentially the version we saw in the syndicated TV version.

14. The introduction to Oona in the cave is slightly extended.

15. Darkness ordering the goblins to "get the mare" is extended.

16. Jack and the Fairies finding one of the midgets nearly shot in the head is longer.

17. An alternate scene where we first see Lily and the kidnapped unicorn held in Darkness' cave, and we see an effigy of Darkness not seen in any previous version (this effigy will show up again in "The Dress Waltz").

18. Jack and the Fairies ending up in a prison cell has been extended.

19. The Demon Cooks scene has been extended, and we see more of one of the Fairies being kidnapped by one of the cooks. Footage of the cooks chopping off a man's head shown at this point in the director's cut can be seen at the opening of the U.S. version.

20. After the Fairies have been released from prison, Oona almost leaves Jack to stay in the cell, but one of the fairies rescues him.

21. The scene where Jack and the Fairies split into teams has been extended, and this extension explains the appearance of Gump's crystal ball just before Jack's final fight with Darkness.

22. The voice of Darkness' Father is different than the previous versions.

23. Oona's line "you should see your Princess now" from the UK version has been cut (note that it was also cut from the U.S. version).

24. An alternate version of "The Dress Waltz" is presented, and again we see a shot of Darkness' effigy. The sound mix is also different from even the UK version. 25. Jack and the Fairies reunited as they plot to kill Darkness has been extended.

26. The scene where Lily dines with Darkness is extended, but cut differently from the previous versions.

27. Jack's final fight with Darkness is slightly extended, and the end of this sequence resembles that of the U.S. cut where Darkness declares "we are brothers eternal" just before he is destroyed.

28. The scene where Gump makes Jack keep his promise is extended and here in the director's cut fully explains Jack's purpose in the entire story.

29. Jack finding the ring has been extended.

30. An alternate ending involving Jack and Lily. Like the UK version, it begins with Jack finding Lily asleep and putting the ring on Lily, thus breaking the spell, then Lily wakes up. But here the differences begin...the director's cut suggests that the entire plot of the film was nothing but a dream! Lily wakes up from a horrible nightmare, Jack declares his love for Lily, but the Princess puts the ring back on Jack, knowing it belongs to him, and that his rightful place is in the forest. Lily promises to "come back tomorrow", sings "Reunited" (a reprise of "My True Love's Eyes"), and disappears into the forest, leaving Jack to go off into the sunset alone, with the fairies and unicorns looking on. As we see the fairies for the last time, the credits roll.

31. At the very end of the credits, there is no "Made by LEGEND Production Company, etc." (as it was in the previous versions), there is just the copyright credit for Universal.

Enjoy the DVD as I did!!!

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I spoke with "Legend" editor Terry Rawlings today and he mentioned that the 113 min. Director's Cut that appears on the DVD was screened publicly only once, at the infamous L.A. test screening. This confirms what Ridley told me way back when we first started on this project three years ago.
I'm not sure what version you saw, Michael, but I saw "Legend" for the first time when I was living in Spain back in 1985, and what I saw was clearly the European version, based on the fact that it had the Goldsmith score but was missing many moments that are in the Director's Cut -- most notably the film's alternate ending.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm sure everyone who worked on the disc appreciates your very kind words (except when it comes to the...ahem...controversial packaging, of course. ;) )

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The only time I really missed the US score was during the Death Dance/Seduction of Lilly scene.
What a great,fun underappreciated movie! I gonna enjoy throwing out my old nasty 15 year old VHS copy:D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I picked it up today, and have just completed watching the Director's cut. I think the Goldsmith score is a bit "Disney" at times, as noted by another poster, but overall it is not bad (though I may be biased due to the many times I have watched it with the TD score, and have never heard the Goldsmith score).

I prefer the TD track for some specific parts, in particular, "the dance" where Lily is tempted. I thought TDs use of the harpsichord, I believe, was well done compared to what was done on the Goldsmith score. I am currently watching the US Theatrical version.

Both transfers look pretty good to me. Damn I enjoy this movie!!

FYI: those who like the TD score, I've had it for years on CD: Varese Sarabande VSD-5645

Paul W

Second Unit
Here is another difference I saw:

At the very end, where Jack dives into the lake to retrieve the ring, it appears that the US version shows the dive in slow motion (12 frames per second). The dive looks regular speed in the European cut.

Anyone else notice this?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Charlie, please tell Mr. Scott how much we appriciate all the hard work that he and EVERYONE who worked on the disc put into getting it right. Worth the wait!

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, definitely Charlie. Thanks for all the great work. Well worth the wait. And do let Mr. Scott know that we really appreciate how much effort he has put in contributing to each of his DVD releases.

I can't wait till next year when I can take a picture of myself double-fisting Legend in one hand and Blade Runner SE in the other.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Charlie:

Two related questions:

- After the 1985 test screening, was there any further photography done for the original theatrical release, for example the replacing of the horn footage which is not in the Director's Cut ?

- In the process of creating the Director's Cut DVD, was any photography or recording done of any sort (such as overdubbing a word or sentence which had deteriorated in the intervening 15 years) ?

PS If this is answered in the commentaries or special features (which I haven't gotten to yet), just say so...

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I got mine tonight. I thought I'd watch a little bit and then go to bed early, but I wound up watching the whole thing. I forgot how much I loved this movie!

The Goldsmith score didn't bother me in the least. I've owned it on CD for something like 8 years or so. I've never seen the Goldsmith score mixed in with the movie before so it was a real treat. My only opinion on the two scores is that they ARE different, and no matter which one you might prefer, the TD "Dress Waltz" music, to me, fits in much better.

Anyway, the only part I found myself scratching my head over was:

the omission of the footage where the horn is replaced

I don't understand why that's missing from the director's cut. I realize there are some things that don't NEED to be placed in the movie, but it's 2 or 3 seconds and really needed to be shown, I think.

Anyway, an EXCELLENT effort. Definitely worth the wait.

Mike

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
- In the process of creating the Director's Cut DVD, was any photography or recording done of any sort (such as overdubbing a word or sentence which had deteriorated in the intervening 15 years) ?
"No" to both questions, Ken. There was a tiny bit of picture tweaking here and there that I doubt anyone will spot. Digital gaffe removal, if you will. But there was no additional photography or recording done to the feature.

(On a personal note, I'm going out of town for about a week, so if any questions for me come up, and I don't answer in a timely matter, you'll know why.)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
First off, thanks for this wonderful disc Charlie...you guys did an incredible job.

As for the discs.....I am SO HAPPY! This was worth the wait.

Watched the DC last night with my wife....the first time she has ever seen the movie in any cut, she loved it.

Tonight, Disc 2!

Paul W

Second Unit
Is there a problem with the isolated score?
I am listening to the isolated Tangerine Dream score and I hear a whole bunch of nothing.
I mean, I hear music for about 5 minutes then silence for about 10 minutes and then some more music, then silence for 15 minutes, etc... I thought there was more music to it. Guess I'll have to listen to the American Version (full soundtrack) so see if there is really that much dead air.
Strange.

todd stone

Screenwriter
As a huge LEGEND fan, I dislike the goldsmith score. I love the TD score and am very used to listening to that one.

I watched DISC 1 last night and the movie didnt feel the same to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks