What's new

LEGEND(1986)A work of perfection (1 Viewer)

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by Mike Williams

While I absolutely LOVE Aliens and Blade Runner, to say that Ridley never achieved that level of filmmaking I simply must disagree with. I know that Gladiator has its detractors, but I think it's a marvelous film, and the Director's Cut of "Kingdom of Heaven" is an absolute masterpiece.

I think those are both great (along with Thelma & Louise), but not on the same level as Alien and Blade Runner.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I did a comparison for my site here, a review will be coming next week.

I think a little ringing is on the theatrical cut but the colour timing and black levels look far superior to the answer print directors cut, pity they couldn't do some additional work to fix all that.

http://www.darkrealmfox.com/film_reviews/2011/06/17/hd-comparisons-legend/

This is probably an old thread but i don't want to clutter up any new one, anyway there is no comparison, if you don't mind the pun, for watching the film and forming your own conclusions, the screencaps show differences but do not show how the film looks in motion.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I love comparisons,although like most people mention are quite different when in motion.

But i must say that the theatrical seems to have better range of light and dark,especially if you look at the Oona eye shot.

the director's cut is a lot more flat ,more neutral,everything is in the greys,i mean this is a film with a light and dark theme at its core right ?

i"m not sure i'm making myself clear here...trying to find the right wording

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
trajan said:
This is my least favorite Ridley Scott film. Why he even bothered to make this film is a mystery to me.
Since this is a discussion forum, would you mind elaborating in stead of just saying it stinks. I picked it up today from Best Buy for $10 after the $5 coupon that's floating around the interwebs. Haven't watched it it maybe 20 years and I have the Ultiimate Edition DVD so I look forward to this.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
as i was stating before in regards to that post from Trajan

when anyone compares a film director to his films,one has to generally have seen a great portion of his

filmography to get a much better judgement call.

If the poster believes Legend is crap city,then he ought to watch Someone to watch over me,White squall,G.I. Jane,Hannibal and then ask

why he even bothered to make those when compared to Blade runner,Alien and of course,Legend

Hell,i'd even throw in Gladiator

Maybe its that thing about the getting out your best stuff first early in your career and then go a bit downhill from there,which tends to happen

to a lot of filmmakers and tv series.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Putting Gladiator in the same category of G. I. Jane and Hannibal is absolutely ridiculous. If you don't think it deserved to win Best Picture, fine (I disagree), but it is certainly a helluva closer to the Alien/Blade Runner end of the spectrum than it is G. I. Jane and Hannibal.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
This forum got me thinking about the Best and Worst Ridley Scott films. Please provide your own lists. These are my Top Eight BEST and Top Five WORST.

1. Alien

2. Blade Runner

3. Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut

4. Gladiator

5. American Gangster

6. Legend

7. Thelma and Louise

8. The Duelists

1. A Good Year (snoozefest)

2. Hannibal

3. G. I. Jane

4. White Squall

5. Someone to Watch Over Me

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I have not seen any of the ones on your bad list. I would put Robin Hood on the good list, although toward the bottom probably...

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The more I learn about the editing process, the more I realize that what we have as the "Director's Cut" is probably not exactly what we would have gotten in 1985, even if Scott had been able to finish the movie his way (although I imagine it's pretty close). From what I understand, the "Director's Cut" is essentially the version that was test-screened in Los Angeles, but it's likely that Scott and editor Terry Rawlings would have fine-tuned a few more things before releasing the film. In fact, I actually think there are a couple of spots (only a couple, mind you) in the US Theatrical Cut that actually play a little better (if only they had Jerry Goldsmith's music behind them). For example:

In the Director's Cut, the entrance of Darkness through the mirror is the first time we see him in the movie (as it should be). However, I feel that the US Theatrical Cut's version of this scene is edited a little more carefully. In the DC, there is a ridiculous-looking shot of Darkness's face coming through the mirror, then a profile shot of him striking a really goofy pose, and those two shots comprise the reveal of his actual appearance. However, in the TC, we don't see his face until it is gradually revealed as he walks past the table and approaches Lily. Much more effective, IMO.

It is a minor quibble, but it's the kind of thing that I think they would have fine-tuned if they'd been able to. That said, the "Director's Cut" is overall the best of the three official versions by far, and it's probably a good thing that Scott didn't go back and try to change anything major, as he is a different person now and would have made different decisions.

Anyway, with the DC, Legend feels much more like the dark fairy tale it was intended to be, and Goldsmith's score is wonderful, even though it's bafflingly replaced by temp track in a couple of scenes, a la Alien. (Why, Ridley and Terry, why?) It's not a perfect movie, but it's one I admire a lot.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by Mike Williams

This forum got me thinking about the Best and Worst Ridley Scott films. Please provide your own lists. These are my Top Eight BEST and Top Five WORST.

I was starting to think about this (with some help from IMDB), since I've seen all but 2 or 3 of his films, but I quickly realized that after Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise, and Gladiator, I put almost all of his movies on equal footing with a few that I can put at the bottom from general blandness (Body of Lies, GI Jane, Kingdom of Heaven theatrical).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ridley Scott films i enjoy.

Alien

Thelma and Louise

Legend - extended cut

Kingdom Of Heaven

Blade Runner - Final Cut

1492 -Conquest Of Paradise

Black Hawk Down

A Good Year

White Squall

Gladiator

Matchstick Men

Sure A Good Year is slow, its a dialogue driven film, i enjoyed it, i also enjoyed White Squall and Matchstick Men is ok.

1492 - Conquest Of Paradise which i have on blu ray from France is taken from a 1080i tv print but not as bad as i expected and no forced subtitles and it has a fab music score. Oh and you get the original 2 channel mix in lossless, thats good for those of us who dislike re-mixes.

Scott films i don't think much of although i can watch them and get at least some entertainment from.

Hannibal

G.I. Jane

Body Of Lies

The Duellists

Someone To Watch Over Me

I haven't seen American Gangster or Robin Hood yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks