What's new

leave it on? (1 Viewer)

NickGL

Agent
i've heard conflicting reports regarding receivers and amps in regards to turning them off when not in use or leaving them on 24/7 even when not in use

i'm thinking that leaving them on will bake the electronics, even with great ventilation and shutting it off is a good idea, though i've heard it recommended to leave such gear on, or leave it on only if you have an AC line cleaner

any opinions?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I can't say anything concerning the "technical" stuff, but I can say that I left my outoard amp (Acurus) "on" 24/7.....I did note that it remained cool until it received a sig and began "working"...... I also had an Aragon that I did the same way although it remained kinda warm on idle..........
Never heard any drawbacks on keeping them on 24/7 and I never had any problem.........

terence

Supporting Actor

Same here with me, i leave 5ch & 2ch amps on 24/7. They sound better warmed up to me than when they are cool. I had the same concerns @ first, i even talked to Marantz tech guys about it and my audiohile buddy who has a amp on all 5 speakers. They all say the same thing leave them on nothing will happen to them, Marantz even said with the big power supply it the amp has it was built to stay on @ all times.

NickGL

Agent
well yesterday i felt the top of my Marantz SR5400 receiver and it was really too hot to touch

there is plenty of clearance on all sides as it is sitting on te floor alone between my TV stand and R channel speaker (though my floor is carpeted and there is only a few mm of clearance between the carpet and receiver but i don't think that mnatters too much

with that in mind, i don't want to keep it on for fear of cooking it from the inside out, but do you think it's built to take that kind of heat and not lose longevity?

today i'm going to leave it on without playing anything and see if it cools down appreciably when idle

terence

Supporting Actor
Long as you ample ventilation, you will be fine. The biggest killer of electronics is DUST! :thumbsdown: :angry:

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
I hear it is the constant on and off that wears on any electrical item - TV's, computers, receivers. In our house, once an item is turned on, it remains on until the end of the day. On the weekend, we leave everything on all weekend except TV's.

Power up and power down can be a killer. Power on is good!!

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I am all for leaving it on but have run into something that worries me. When I had an Earthquake Cinenova 3 channel amp is was always cool. However my Rotel 1075 is much warmer, even after it sits all night. I think I may take advantage of the trigger.

Sam>C

Grip
Yes turning things on and off too often can be a problem for them. If you think about it, off many times do your light bulbs burn out when you turn them on as opposed to just being on and suddenly going out. It is the electrial surge going through the bulb that will help it on its way.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim

Actually, this can matter very much. With such little clearance on the bottom, it's difficult for the receiver to draw in cool air through the bottom as the hot air escapes through the top.

This may be why it gets so hot.

JimmyK

NickGL

Agent
well i elevated it 3cm or so above the carpet and it's now running cooler playing T2 at a decent volume on all channels than it did today at idle

thanks for the info

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I used to turn everything on and off whenever I used it, but noticed just like Sam said that I would only blow fuses in things upon start up. Now I leave everything on 24/7, except my TV. I leave my two amps and my processor on all the time and have never noticed any issues.

My processor has 3 years left on a 5 year warranty and one amp has 19 years left on a 20 year warranty and the other has 3 years left on a 5 year warranty so I feel safe leaving them on all the time. Just as safe as I would if I was doing the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks