What's new

Law & Order (1 Viewer)

PatH

Second Unit
I'll take a backseat to no one in my admiration for the L&O franchise in whatever flavor, but has anyone been watching the current season of CI on USA? I'm ecstatic that Goren and Eames are back; I thought their exit after season eight was handled poorly. Now they're back in a return which was no less sketchy. Jay O. Sanders' character has that much pull? And every episode is truncated so we can have a big psychoanalysis scene with Julia Ormand? That's lame; the only way it would be even remotely interesting is if in the final episode she rips off her disguise and reveals herself to be Nicole Wallace. Yeah, I know she's "dead", but in TV and comic books no one dies if the writers are good enough and Goren has caught that hack Medical Examiner Rodgers in several errors already. Even if they don't do that, the Ormand sequences are seriously bad.

Now, on to SVU. I fear we're seeing the last year upcoming. Meloni's departure, while no disaster for a franchise that has seen many cast changes (and I'm speaking of the L&O franchise in general), may tempt the writers to cut with a meat axe instead of a scalpel. I see no reason to lose Cragan, Munch, or Finn. My only regret is that I won't get to see either Stabler or Benson get any kind of discipline for their often high handed methods beyond a stern lecture by Cragan, who then has to get it in the neck from One PP. In Benson's case, this regrettably mirrors real life, as apparently she's being kicked upstairs to facilitate Mariska's reduced schedule.

I liked the series with Bebe Neuwirth, though I can't remember the title. I also like LOLA, in both incarnations, though NBC has so little regard for its viewers intelligence that they showed a Skeet Ulrich ep after his character was killed. I like Alana de la Garza and , , , hey, there's a thought. She moves back to NY, replaces Hargitay and re-teams with Linus Roache, who replaces Stabler. Or, maybe Corey Stoll can replace Stabler and de la Garza can be the new SVU ADA.

PatH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Goran and Eames began the CI series and were always my favorites even when they began alternating with Chris Noth. I skipped the entire season with Jeff Goldblum. I am watching all of these last episodes and enjoying them so far.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I have always liked this franchise and I have to disagree with the original post concerning the therapy sessions. They are interesting and they are obviously very important to the eventual end of the series this year.

I guess I'll be in the minority in that I also enjoy Jeff Goldblum's run on the show.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
I have nothing against Jeff Goldblum but Saffron Burrows???? She is the worst actress I have ever seen. I wish someone would explain her appeal to me. I just read that another show had fired her. At least the original people are there now, that's really all that matters!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Law and Order is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

I gave up on SVU with that stupid CSU tech turned serial killer contrivance.

L&O: LA has been decent. It has a noticeable gore factor I don't recall the others having. I like the return of Connie Rubirosa for obvious reasons. :)
I too enjoyed the Jeff Goldblum run on CI. Julia Ormond hasn't been on the radar for awhile, so it's nice to see her again.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by PatH

Now, on to SVU. I fear we're seeing the last year upcoming. Meloni's departure, while no disaster for a franchise that has seen many cast changes (and I'm speaking of the L&O franchise in general), may tempt the writers to cut with a meat axe instead of a scalpel. I see no reason to lose Cragan, Munch, or Finn.
PatH

It appears that the producers are hoping for more than one more year as they just signed Ice-T for another two years.

I’m disappointed that Meloni is leaving but in the world of Law & Order it happens.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't blame Meloni for leaving. After 12 seasons, the show has made him financially secure for life, and at age 50, there is still time to pursue other projects which doing a weekly series prevents him from doing. As a very talented actor, I'm sure he'd like to explore lots of different parts now, and I hope he can find some roles that really give him more opportunities to show his versatility.

PatH

Second Unit
Now, let's hope the producers re-sign Munch and Cragan and provide a decent reason for Stabler's leaving.

PatH

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't blaming him, I understand completely that he wants to try other things. When series run as long as SVU has people are going to come and go.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I haven't watched SVU for a while, but I thought it was unusual that SVU had all of its original cast members stay on the show that long, unlike the other ones. But with the contract thing coming up, the only surprising thing was that only one of them left, but not both.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Walter C
I haven't watched SVU for a while, but I thought it was unusual that SVU had all of its original cast members stay on the show that long, unlike the other ones. But with the contract thing coming up, the only surprising thing was that only one of them left, but not both.
Well, actually, there had been some cast retooling from season one. Many people forget that Dean Winters was part of the original group of detectives, but his brain-dead character was written out during the first season. Michelle Hurd''s detective character also only lasted a season or so. Ice-T didn't come in until season two as I recall.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I was thinking in terms of the credited original cast, which was Meloni, Hargitay, Belzer, and Florek. And they were the only ones on the DVD menu and cover, if I remember.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
[SIZE= 16px][COLOR= black]I enjoyed the final season of CI and I’m glad they left it open ended (not everything needs to have a closed ending) but with clear indications that Goren was moving in the right direction personally. They could easily have a movie special anytime in the future if they wanted. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px][COLOR= black]As for L&O LA, I actually like the show and am sorry to see it go. What I find interesting is that NBC is now burning off the episodes it shelved in order to do the reboot and I have to say many of them have been very good. In fact they have been so good it is a shame they did the reboot at all. It’s too bad that NBC just didn’t allow a full season of the show to air to see if it could find a larger audience. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's a damn shame CI is off the air. There really isn't this kind of old school Holmesian procedural on the air -- now it's all CSI based stuff.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm going to miss CI, too. Glad the ending was open-ended so that if and when Dick Wolf decides he wants to go to the CI well again, he can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks