What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It’s absolutely a stand alone film.
I would say it builds out a world based on the sturdy foundation laid by the previous three films. People who liked the first three films are probably going to be satisfied. But it also manages tell a self-contained story that doesn't require direct knowledge of the others. That is a really hard balance to strike, and the fact that they did it so successfully is one of this movie's biggest strengths.

If anyone does come to this film as a new viewer, I would recommend that they then go back and watch the previous three afterward. I think it is highly likely that people who like this film will also like those films. But they aren't homework to understand this one.

Last edited:

reel-to-reel

Agent
Real Name
Robert
To prepare to enjoy The Kingdom, I watched a film about humans interacting with compassionate, and violent apes...
The Legend of Tarzan

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I’ve seen every POTA related movie but my partner has not. Is this enough of a standalone movie that he might enjoy it? I have tried to avoid spoilers and major plot points so far but I do know it happens about a century after the last film.
My husband was pretty against seeing this…so much so I got a solo ticket for tomorrow after we got back from a cruise. But the cruise was showing Kingdom (Disney cruise) and he said “let’s see it.” I don’t know what changed his mind. (Side note: he was not a fan because of all the violence. I thought it was pretty tame, violence wise, but he really doesn’t like seeing animals abused or hurt in any movie.)

Anyway, everything you need to know about this world is mentioned in the first five minutes or less. It’s connected to the other movies, but not required to see them to understand what’s happening.

Mrozsa

Agent
Real Name
Ken Newberry
I don’t want to introduce any spoilers here but I wonder if some of the revelations at the end of Kingdom might tie into elements seen in Beneath The Planet of the Apes.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Like a few others, I also managed to see this on Wed -- was originally just gonna wait til Thurs, but a couple excellent seats unexpectedly opened up the day or so beforehand at the arguably best Dolby screen in NYC (near Times Sq), so I switched. The screening was probably ~95% sold the day before, but oddly, at least a few canceled or were no shows adjacent/near my seat -- something similar happened w/ the Wed preview of The Fall Guy at that same screen as well IIRC.

Liked it a good deal. Pretty solid entry all-around that fits right in w/ the previous 3 films in this run as most everyone agreed. Think I'll go back to see it again probably on Tues, but sit 1 row closer for greater immersion. I'll try rounding up another buddy or two to join me.

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Hollywood Reporter has a good interview with Freya Allan about her experience on the movie being the lead human character. It is a spoiler discussion including talk about the ending, so I'm putting the link under a spoiler tag. Don't click if you don't want to know.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, I went back this afternoon to see the movie again after missing the beginning earlier in the week. Today, when I was early, it had the full usual ad load the Wednesday screening lacked. Go figure.

Caesar's funeral was simple and effective. Even though it was short, I was glad I went back to see this. It was nice to see Caesar one more time, even if it was just his body, and Maurice from the previous films. However, jumping so far ahead immediately after that scene did make it stand out as unusual in the context of this particular narrative. Because of that decision, the funeral scene felt like more of a coda to War than the first beat of Kingdom.

Obviously, I'd seen the majority of the movie before, and Wednesday wasn't too long ago. But I am happy to say it held up to a fast turnaround rewatch. I was in no way less engaged this time. Because I was there for the entire film, it was not disorienting than coming in after it had started. I was able to enjoy the first section more because I was no longer occupied wondering what I had missed.

It was interesting to see the movie with Mae's full plan in mind because the knowledge of what she is hoping to do, and indeed what she eventually does, shifts the context of her actions. The early box office results have been good, which suggests Disney will likely move forward with the sequel this film clearly sets up, and that's a good thing. I'm curious to see how Noa and Mae's relationship will evolve and what brings them back into contact with each other. After the previous trilogy switched out the human characters with each installment, having continuity with Mae/Freya Allan will provide a different dynamic.

However, you still have the fact that apes are fully in charge by the time the astronauts seeded in Rise get back. Taylor, or his equivalent, will need to legitimately be the only talking human at that time. If Taylor is one of many upon arrival, the appearance of a(nother) talking human won't have the same shocking impact for the apes in that story. We know the humans have to lose, and War did that effectively already. So I do still wonder how they make another apes-versus-humans story different. But I'm more than willing to find out. I liked Allan in this part and will welcome her continued presence when the next movie is made.

On another note, for those interested, Made By Mutant is releasing John Paesano's score for the film on vinyl. I'm on their mailing list because I bought the physical CD of Dune Part Two from them. But, unless I am overlooking something, it looks like Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes will be on vinyl only. I understand that CDs are a niche product because most people get their music digitally now. But vinyl is also a niche product. So it surprises me that a vinyl will be available without a CD also being available. I would probably buy a CD if they did some kind of limited pressing, but I have no use for a vinyl.

I've got to say the artwork is quite nice though.

455479.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Commentary on a scene from Wes Bal. Spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet.

reel-to-reel

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I know ground work was set in the film, and I was waiting for it to soar. But that just never happened.

Complaints:

I thought there was a place in the film for a "Get you hands off me you damn dirty ape" line. Opportunity missed there.

I couldn't understand what was being said in some parts.

I wasn't sure which chimp was who sometimes.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought there was a place in the film for a "Get you hands off me you damn dirty ape" line. Opportunity missed there.
They already made that reference once within this iteration of the franchise in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Draco Malfoy -- I mean, "Dodge Landon" -- said it to Caesar. Caesar's first spoken word, in response, was "No." That spot was such an effective place for it to go. It never occurred to me that they should do it again because they already nailed it. It also doesn't seem to be something that either of the two significant human characters in this movie would have said.

Last edited:

reel-to-reel

Agent
Real Name
Robert
They already made that reference once within this iteration of the franchise in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Draco Malfoy -- I mean, "Dodge Landon" -- said it to Caesar. Caesar's first spoken word, in response, was "No." That spot was such an effective place for it to go. It never occurred to me that they should do it again because they already nailed it. It also doesn't seem to be something that either of the two significant human characters in this movie would have. said.
It was just something I wanted for Mae.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I understand the desire even though I don't agree with it. I just don't think it makes any sense for the character to say that line. Where in the narrative would you have put it?

Mae knows she needs Noa and Raka to help her. Calling either of them them "damn dirty apes" would have the reverse impact and almost certainly stop them from being willing to do that. Even if she said it to Proximus, Noa would probably have been offended by the sentiment. Furthermore, the journey for Mae over the course of the movie is to understand that some apes are good and decent. She has to do what she has to do for the survival of her species and won't give up her mission. But I think she has conflicted feelings about the apes at the end. I don't think calling them dirty would have made sense for her. That would have undermined her growth.

Trevathan, of course, wouldn't say it because he has aligned himself with the apes for his own benefit.

Last edited:

reel-to-reel

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I understand the desire even though I don't agree with it. I just don't think it makes any sense for the character to say that line. Where in the narrative would you have put it?

Mae knows she needs Noa and Raka to help her. Calling either of them them "damn dirty apes" would have the reverse impact and almost certainly stop them from being willing to do that. Even if she said it to Proximus, Noa would probably have been offended by the sentiment. Furthermore, the journey for Mae over the course of the movie is to understand that some apes are good and decent. She has to do what she has to do for the survival of her species and won't give up her mission. But I think she has conflicted feelings about the apes at the end. I don't think calling them dirty would have made sense for her. That would have undermined her growth.

Trevathan, of course, wouldn't say it because he has aligned himself with the apes for his own benefit.
I was leaning toward Proximus or one of his enforcers... The line being delivered by a female to a male is also intriguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks