What's new

Kickstarter: Republic 12-Part Serial The Crimson Ghost (1946) (1 Viewer)

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Plus, as an add-on, Grapevine Video is offering the 15-part serial, THE PURPLE MONSTER STRIKES.

THE CRIMSON GHOST has already met the $1600 target and there are nine days left in the campaign.

An actor named Clayton Moore plays the bad guy. Hopefully, if he has a future, he can avoid being typecasted as the villain.

The restored first chapter of THE CRIMSON GHOST is on youtube.

And the complete first chapter of THE PURPLE MONSTER STRIKES is also available on youtube, too.
GREAT -- too bad Paramount wont let the serials be leased out

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Plus, as an add-on, Grapevine Video is offering the 15-part serial, THE PURPLE MONSTER STRIKES.

THE CRIMSON GHOST has already met the $1600 target and there are nine days left in the campaign.

An actor named Clayton Moore plays the bad guy. Hopefully, if he has a future, he can avoid being typecasted as the villain.

The restored first chapter of THE CRIMSON GHOST is on youtube.

And the complete first chapter of THE PURPLE MONSTER STRIKES is also available on youtube, too.
What is the source element?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Looks quite soft, even as a small preview window on my computer screen. On my 65", I have a feeling it would be literally blurry.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Looks quite soft, even as a small preview window on my computer screen. On my 65", I have a feeling it would be literally blurry.
On my 27" iMac monitor it is blurry, even at the supposed 1080p YouTubevision setting. Not even DVD quality much less Blu-ray. If one could trace the path of the "restoration's" source back to ground zero you'd probably find a reasonable film element, because the gray scale is pretty good, not like that of the 16mm dupes you usually see in gray-market (i.e. pirate) Republic serial releases.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Are those two serials public domain?
Grapevine are bootleggers They sell March Of The Wooden Soldiers which is NOT PD DVDR 9.99 == this is on Paramount they have the rights to those serials and VCI would love to do legit releases but no dice very sad there is demand for this stuff but studios refuse

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
This thread should be locked/deleted as HTF isn't supposed to promote bootlegging.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
The copyright was renewed, but I don’t have the date: “Black & white motion picture prev. reg. 1946, LP504; renewed R577427, et al.” This information is from the record of copyright of a colorized version.

Someone on Archive.org summarized: “The Crimson Ghost (1946) Registrations LP504 & LP621 Renewed (Eps 1-6 R557427) (Eps 7-12 R568601) (Feature R577427) Republic Pictures”

In 1996, the copyright was assigned to Viacom (now Paramount Global).

Given that the copyright was renewed, I assume it remains effective, unless the work somehow fell into the public domain. Grapevine Video should consult an attorney.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The copyright was renewed, but I don’t have the date: “Black & white motion picture prev. reg. 1946, LP504; renewed R577427, et al.” This information is from the record of copyright of a colorized version.

Someone on Archive.org summarized: “The Crimson Ghost (1946) Registrations LP504 & LP621 Renewed (Eps 1-6 R557427) (Eps 7-12 R568601) (Feature R577427) Republic Pictures”

In 1996, the copyright was assigned to Viacom (now Paramount Global).

Given that the copyright was renewed, I assume it remains effective, unless the work somehow fell into the public domain. Grapevine Video should consult an attorney.
Grapevine could easily go to Paramount to legally do a release Paramount is restoring so many assets yet keep them locked away

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Crimson Ghost Kickstarter canceled.

CG Top.png

Crimson Ghost.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks