What's new

Keanu Reeves = Super....Dude ?? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,62992,00.html
well i found this link over at the dc boards for superman threads.
Ratner, director of the forthcoming Red Dragon, the Rush Hour movies, and the very interesting Family Man, is just about to sign to direct Last Son, finally ending Warner's tango with director McG, who is busy readying Charlie's Angels 2. Ratner had been rumored in Variety last month as a possible Superman director among many. But I'm told the deal is done and he is in.
read the whole article very interesting and wacky stuff over at the warner superman camp.
and is it irony? or something else that another man with the name reeves or similar will likely be supes again.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
i can just see it. when he discovers he can fly.

"whoah.."

when he discovers x-ray vision.

"whoah.."

when he discovers all his other powers.

"whoah.."

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I can't see this happening. It's hard to imagine one actor simultaneously being cast in two major series like Superman and The Matrix.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
It's hard to imagine one actor simultaneously being cast in two major series like Superman and The Matrix.
Why not? Harrison Ford was. Both Matrix films are in the can (or very close, I haven't been keeping up), so he'll have time to devote to it. It can be done, and unlike some, I don't hold Keanu to a role he played over a decade ago. He'll never win an Academy Award, but he CAN act. Anyone who claims otherwise should check out The Gift.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I think this could work. I am in the same camp as Vickie-Keanu isn't a world-beater, but he can perform at an acceptable level. In fact, as I think about it, I think Keanu would make a great bumbling Clarke Kent.

Bruce

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I'm not the biggest Keanu fan... he has a long way to go to make up for Bram Stoker's Blacula... but in the right role, under the right director, he can work pretty well.
Personally, I'd like to see Wallace Shawn as Lex Luthor and Fyvush Finkel as Brainiac. Just imagine the possibilities...! :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Count me in as a Keanu defender.
This man gets a bad rap here in the forum and it's unjustified IMO.
"Whoa", "Dude", "Excellent!" aren't the only words he knows, that's becoming a cliche about him and frankly i'm sick of hearing it. He usually conforms beautifully to each role he takes. In the Bill & Ted films, he was supposed to be a california dude, he did it well. In The Devils Advocate he was suppsed to be a lawer torn by evil, he did it well. In Speed he was supposed to be a cop trapped in a desparate and deadly situation, he did it VERY well.
For the types of roles he's given, they usually suit him perfectly.
That said, I just don't know about him as Superman. But he could be good, who knows?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"Whoa", "Dude", "Excellent!" aren't the only words he knows, that's becoming a cliche about him and frankly i'm sick of hearing it.
i dont think when most people say that it should be taken literally.

but more that the tone of his voicve is that of a surfer dude. no matter what he says.

even in THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE he still had that sound in his voice.

so even though i agree he is a good actor it's hard not to think of SURFER DUDE when i hear his voice.

he would never work for me as superman.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I can see that, but we shouldn't hold that against him should we? That's just the way he talks.
If you're an actor, the way you talk is very very important. If he doesn't talk right for the character, we should indeed hold it against him. We should care about having good performances in films, not worrying about hurting people's feelings for the way they talk.

DJ

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
That's just my point, he sounds the way he does, AND IMO he gives decent performances for the types of roles he does.

It's not about hurting his feelings, it's about holding something against him that he has no control over.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
so even though i agree he is a good actor it's hard not to think of SURFER DUDE when i hear his voice.
Every time I hear Robert Deniro's voice in a movie, I think of "You talking to ME?" Only very good "character" actors, like Gary Oldman, are free of this voice recognition.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
To studios, it all comes down to box office, and if THE MATRIX sequels do the business of the first one, Keanu may be given first denial option as his star will be on the rise then. But I've been wrong before and will be wrong again, so don't hold me to it! :D

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I've seen most of Keanu Reeves' films, and I have to say I disagree with any statement that he's a good actor. He isn't, in my opinion. None of his performances have been remotely convincing; he has the emotional range of a frying pan.

Films like The Matrix are good despite Reeves' involvement. I would be very disappointed if he were cast as Superman, as he's so obviously unsuitable for the role.

Adam

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I've no problem with Keanu, I just think this story is nonsense. "My sources tell me........" Your sources? You work for Fox News, gimme a break.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks