What's new

Kaleidescape Announces New Compact Terra 6 Terabyte Movie Server (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Kaleidescape Announces New Compact Terra 6 Terabyte Movie Server
New Entry-Level Terra 6 Terabyte Movie Server Extends the Kaleidescape Compact Terra Line

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA, January 4, 2022—Kaleidescape, makers of the ultimate movie player, announced today its latest addition to the Terra movie server line. The new entry-level compact Terra 6 terabyte (TB) is shipping now.

“The compact Terra 6TB, when combined with a Strato C player, replaces the Kaleidescape Strato S as our entry-level system, while providing the ultimate playback experience with significantly greater scalability and performance,” said Tayloe Stansbury, CEO, Kaleidescape.

With the power to download feature-length 4K movies in as little as ten minutes on a gigabit internet connection, the compact Terra 6TB provides four times faster movie downloads than the Strato S 6TB all-in-one player-server. In addition, a compact Terra 6TB can serve up to five simultaneous 4K Ultra HD playbacks on Strato players in different rooms, compared to only two simultaneous playbacks for Strato S. The compact Terra 6TB can download movies while simultaneously supporting playbacks on Strato players, which is something Strato S cannot do. And movie lovers can scale up their storage by adding a compact Terra 6TB, 12TB, or 18TB or a full-sized Terra 24TB, 48TB, or 72TB.

Designed with a profile similar to a Strato C movie player, the compact Terra 6TB can be mounted beside a Strato C in a 1U rack space, using Kaleidescape’s custom rack mount.

The Kaleidescape compact Terra 6TB movie server is initially offered as a bundle with the Strato C movie player at a special price of $7,995 through March 31, 2022.

About Kaleidescape (www.kaleidescape.com)
Kaleidescape is the ultimate movie player. Kaleidescape elevates every other component in your theater, with higher-fidelity video source material, lossless audio, and integrative cues to control lighting, shading, seating, lenses, and screen masking. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Kaleidescape builds its products in the USA and sells exclusively through custom installers.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks Ron. I'd heard tales Kaleidescape was planning a product line aimed at mid-tier enthusiasts and was anxiously awaiting an update. This announcement doesn't appear to be what I was hoping for as the new device costs about the same as the one it replaces and Kaleidescape's steep rental/"purchase" model remains unchanged.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
6TB doesn't seem like much capacity for HD movies. I get they want to sell you the expansions, but it seems low as a starter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
6TB doesn't seem like much capacity for HD movies. I get they want to sell you the expansions, but it seems low as a starter.
It’s definitely a starter kit, and not enough for anyone who collects hundreds or thousands of movies. (About 250 Blu-ray movies, or 120 UHD movies?)

Does Kscape have a “cloud” approach where movies are offloaded from the server when space is low, and are downloaded again if you want to watch later?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Often the authoritative mezzanine video file from the studio is 10%-40% larger than what can be fit on the 66GB file size of a 4K Blu-ray discs This means the studios or disc manufacturers often have to utilize additional compression to films in order to fit movie on a 66GB disc.

A Kaleidescape Terra Server or Strato S Movie Player is able to download movies directly to your home in full fidelity (because there is no file size constraint for Kaleidescape content), which ensures you’re not missing anything you want to see and hear.

Plus, you’re not dealing with fluctuations in content quality because all the bits are downloaded and stored on your local device, not streamed over the internet. This is especially important if you live in an area where internet service is not very good.

If your internet service is not very good, how are you downloading that 50 to 100 GB movie to begin with? :confused:

In such an area with, say 10 Mbps internet speed (insufficient for 4K), it will take 11 to 22 hours, in perfect conditions, to download such a movie. So realistically 24 to 48 hours per movie download. Awesome.

People I know in such areas just buy discs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quick look and I can't find from the review if the system supports an on-demand, cloud-based download process for library management when you've got more movies than storage space.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Quick look and I can't find from the review if the system supports an on-demand, cloud-based download process for library management when you've got more movies than storage space.
It does. You could have 500 movies and only download 50 of them, no problem.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
If your internet service is not very good, how are you downloading that 50 to 100 GB movie to begin with? :confused:

In such an area with, say 10 Mbps internet speed (insufficient for 4K), it will take 11 to 22 hours, in perfect conditions, to download such a movie. So realistically 24 to 48 hours per movie download. Awesome.

People I know in such areas just buy discs.
The great thing about the download model is that you can download a movie during the day and then watch it in perfect quality in the evening - I do not see this as much of an issue compared to streaming where you may suffer suboptimal quality due to your bandwidth limit.

Total cost of ownership aside as far as buying a disc I would agree that this is preferable from the point of view of truly owning a movie but it will not give you that library interface in such an easy fashion.

I also found that Kaleidescape does not offer much in a way of an expanded catalog for older movies in 4k. By now the studios are sitting on hundreds of 4k masters that have yet to be released on disc and yet Kaleidescape offers almost none of them. When I browsed their library I was looking for movies like:

Ben-Hur
Dr. Zhivago
Hello, Dolly!
Oklahoma!
Patton
The Man from Laramie

and a bunch of others but none of them are available in 4k.

This is supposedly not the fault of Kaleidescape as the studios do not greenlight them for selling in the service but with the steep price of entry I would really like to see some more movies that I really want - maybe in the future.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know anyone who plans ahead their movie watching and sets up a download queue in the morning to download all day, to watch that night. I suppose there are some that do this this. But I'm guessing the number of people who are super duper into movies, affluent enough to buy K-scape, have slow internet, and plan their week's worth of movie watching on Sunday to download weekday mornings...is super tiny niche.

Surely Kaleidascape is a solution for people with fast, unlimited internet who can easily download 50+ GB movies?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don't know anyone who plans ahead their movie watching and sets up a download queue in the morning to download all day, to watch that night. I suppose there are some that do this this. But I'm guessing the number of people who are super duper into movies, affluent enough to buy K-scape, have slow internet, and plan their week's worth of movie watching on Sunday to download weekday mornings...is super tiny niche.

Surely Kaleidascape is a solution for people with fast, unlimited internet who can easily download 50+ GB movies?
Obviously you could have some 100 movies at your disposal and pre-downloaded so only additional titles would be affected. With regard to watching movies I'd have no issues to decide that a day in advance if that means I get the best possible quality apart from watching a disc that I also would have to order.

So not a deal-breaker for me, the entry price is another matter however.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Cool deal:
Today, Kaleidescape, maker of the ultimate movie player, and Meyer Sound, the global leader in solutions for sound reinforcement, spatial sound, acoustic systems, studio monitoring, and high-end residential systems, announced a collaboration to deliver the ultimate sonic experience to customers.

For a limited time, when customers purchase a Kaleidescape Terra movie server and Strato C movie player with any Meyer Sound loudspeaker surround system valued over $10,000 MSRP, they will receive a Meyer Sound-curated collection of movies valued up to $1,000 USD.

The movie collection, personally selected by Meyer Sound’s technical team, contains 40 titles with rich, immersive audio, including some with Dolby Atmos soundtracks. Movies will be preloaded onto the Kaleidescape Terra server.

This promotion is available from July 26, 2022, through December 31, 2022 (US only).

Please see below for the full release.

For images visit: Kaleidescape + Meyer Movie Collection Press Kit

Feel free to reach out with any questions and I hope you are having a nice summer.

Best,

Josh

###

Meyer Sound and Kaleidescape Announce Curated Content Package Promotion

New Customers Receive 40 Titles, Including 4K Ultra HD, HDR, and Dolby Atmos Mastered Movies

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA and BERKELEY, CA – July 26, 2022
— Kaleidescape, maker of the ultimate movie player, and Meyer Sound, the global leader in solutions for sound reinforcement, spatial sound, acoustic systems, studio monitoring, and high-end residential systems, today announced a collaboration to deliver the ultimate sonic experience to customers.

For a limited time, when customers purchase a Kaleidescape Terra movie server and Strato C movie player with any Meyer Sound loudspeaker surround system valued over $10,000 MSRP, they will receive a Meyer Sound-curated collection of movies valued up to $1,000 USD.

This promotion aligns with the companies’ strategic partnership objective to deliver the ultimate sonic experience to customers. The movie collection, personally selected by Meyer Sound’s technical team, contains 40 titles with rich, immersive audio, including some with Dolby Atmos soundtracks. Movies will be preloaded onto the Kaleidescape Terra server.

“This is an exceptional promotion that brings together two industry-leading brands. Kaleidescape’s lossless-quality soundtracks provide Meyer Sound systems with the full-fidelity audio needed for that magical escape from reality,” explains Norma Garcia-Muro, vice president of marketing, Kaleidescape. “The result is an exceptional level of pure, honest sound rendered to private cinemas of any size.”

The Kaleidescape Terra and Strato C system is designed to play 4K HDR movies with a video bitrate eight times higher than any streaming device and lossless-quality audio up to ten times higher, delivering a level of quality previously found only in the finest premium commercial cinemas. Played through Meyer Sound loudspeakers, the result is incomparable sound clarity and detail.

“Working together, Meyer Sound and Kaleidescape will provide home cinema dealers with a personalized and unforgettable ‘big screen’ experience for their customers,” says Blake Vackar, residential solutions manager for Meyer Sound. “No other source compares to Kaleidescape for providing such a versatile library with a lossless media path. With audio reproduced through Meyer Sound cinema systems, customers at home will hear exactly what the movie’s creators heard in the studio during the final mixing session. Thanks to this specially curated package, they will enjoy that experience across four decades of the absolute best in creative and dynamic cinema sound, from Apocalypse Now to Dune.”

A variety of Meyer Sound solutions are used in home cinemas, including the Ultra Reflex system, the first screen-channel loudspeaker system to deliver precise audio localization for direct view displays; the Bluehorn System, their full bandwidth studio monitors designed for high-resolution monitoring applications; and their line of self-powered full-range loudspeakers like the ULTRA-X20.

This promotion is available from July 26, 2022, through December 31, 2022 (US only).

Kaleidescape + Meyer-Curated Title List

Visit:
https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/collection/kaleidescape_meyer_film_collection

1. Apocalypse Now
  2. Atomic Blonde
  3. The Batman
  4. Black Hawk Down
  5. Blade Runner 2049
  6. Dune
  7. Dunkirk
  8. Encanto
  9. Ferdinand
  10. The Fifth Element
  11. Finding Nemo
  12. Galaxymphony
  13. Gravity
  14. Guardians of the Galaxy
  15. Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague
  16. Hugo
  17. The Hurt Locker
  18. Inception
  19. Interstellar
  20. La La Land
  21. The Lion King
  1. Mad Max: Fury Road
  2. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
  3. Overlord
  4. Phil Collins: Live at Montreux 2004
  5. The Revenant
  6. Road to Perdition
  7. Rocketman
  8. Roger Waters: The Wall
  9. Sicario
  10. Skyfall
  11. Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker
  12. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  13. Top Gun
  14. Top Gun: Maverick
  15. Tron: Legacy
  16. True Grit
  17. Walk the Line
  18. West Side Story
  19. Whiplash
  20. Meyer Sound Cinema Stinger

About Kaleidescape (
www.kaleidescape.com/)

Kaleidescape is the ultimate movie player. Kaleidescape elevates every other component in your theater, with higher-fidelity video source material, lossless audio, and integrative cues to control lighting, shading, seating, lenses, and screen masking. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Kaleidescape builds its products in the USA and sells exclusively through custom installers.

About Meyer Sound (www.meyersound.com/)

Founded by John and Helen Meyer in 1979, Meyer Sound is a global leader in providing integrated solutions for sound reinforcement, spatial sound, acoustic systems, studio monitoring and high-end residential systems. Recognized as an audio technology pioneer, Meyer Sound was the first to introduce dedicated loudspeaker processors, source independent measurement, large-scale self-powered loudspeakers, and cardioid subwoofers, among other innovations. The premium professional brand maintains rigorous quality control in its design and manufacturing of sustainable solutions for concert touring and festivals, houses of worship, cinema, education, corporate offices and residential. Scientific research and innovative product development have earned more than 100 US and international patents along with numerous industry awards. Headquartered in Berkeley, California with operations globally, Meyer Sound is a company where employees are innovators and diversity, equity and inclusion are embraced in the workplace and the community

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
[W]ith the new kOS 10.14.0 update, users no longer require an Alto player to convert physical discs into digital copies. By purchasing an external Blu-ray disc drive, customers can catalog their collections (DVD and Blu-ray only) and obtain discounted digital versions from the Kaleidescape Movie Store—often in 4K resolution!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I continue to hope they deliver a premium tier product aimed at enthusiasts but not in the ultra luxury realm. I’d love to test one out but I can’t see spending more on a drive than I do for a display.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got a.good laugh out of a.reviewer having what amounts to a.25000 dollar movie server and then going on about how a 15 dollar upgrade for a Disney film was too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks