What's new

Just got my Panny 47wx42 - A few problems... (Please help!) (1 Viewer)

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Before you start reading this, I thought I'd bring to your attention that I know very little about HDTVs. More than the average person, but much less than many of you guys.
So, I just got my new HDTV today and while I'm thrilled with the picture quality, there are a few things I have a problem with. And I just thought I'd mention how clumsily it was brought in. There were two people from BB and only one person brought the tv up. He kept bumping the left side against the floor because he couldn't quite lift it from the back to get over bumps. Anyway, I think this has caused at least some of my current problems.
First, on the very left edge of the screen, starting about a quarter of the way down the screen from the top and continuing to the bottom, there's a thin, bright line. It looks as if light is creeping onto the screen from the inside of the tv. You can only notice notice it during darker scenes. You can also see it when you turn off the DVD player and just look at the black "component video" screen - there's a very visible bright line going down the left edge. This is probably the biggest problem.
Second, this other problem I'm having might not be a problem at all. When watching a 2.35:1 movie, the picture is even with the screen on the bottom, but is slanting downward and to the left at the top. I don't know if you understand what I'm saying, but think about the invisible line that separates the black bars and the picture. The bottom one is even, while the top one is slanted.
Third, this problem has to do with the cabinet itself. At the back of the tv, on the bottom corner, there's a chunk that was taken out of the wood a little less than the size of a fist. This is no doubt the result of the clumsy delivery. Do you think this itself warrants a return?
I haven't had a chance to pick up Avia yet, but I don't think it will solve my first two problems and it definitely won't help with the third ;).
That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll have many other questions later. And thanks a lot you guys. I don't know what I'd do without this board.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Two words,

Return it!

I send it back for the chip in the cabinet alone. Your aforementioned geometry problems just seem to add to an already sizable cake.

"Do it....do it now!"

Michael.

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm just going to return it. After looking over what I typed, that's just too many problems for the amount of money I'm spending. So I called BB, told them the problems, and they were very apologetic. I just have to go in tomorrow and fill out some paperwork to get a new one.

Btw, what's up with that second problem I was having? I've read through a few threads and have never seen that mentioned.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

That second problem is most likely a geometry issue. The geometry and the convergence of an RPTV can, and frequently do, get out of whack causing all sorts of picture distortions. The corners of the picture are sensitive and what happens to one will not necessarily happen to another. This could be the result of one of those floor whacks...fixable but unnecessary. I second the return notion!

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm...alright. One more question. I wanted to try out 64-point convergence in the service menu and open up the set to do E-Focus. It would be nice to be able to use this as a "practice" set before I return it since I have never done either of these things. Better to do the damage to this tv than the one I'm exchanging it for. The question is, can they tell that I've messed with either of these things and void my warranty?
Thanks again guys. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes, definitely return it. The "chunk ... [almost] the size of a fist" sounds very bad. Even if you don't see any picture problems, you should still return it. Who knows what else came loose inside that will cause a problem a few months down the line.
BTW, did they have to bring it up any stairway?? I assumed that you lived in an elevator building -- 18th floor(?) or something -- w/ no stairways to deal w/. I'm still having a hard time imagining why only one guy did it and how he managed to drop it repeatedly. I'd think he should at least use a dolly or a big handtruck. My delivery guys used a big handtruck w/ the TV inside the box to go up one flight of stairs (in the snow!). After that, it was smooth sailing.
A couple things though. Seems that most of these Panny's do come w/ at least a geometry problem across the top of the set where the picture sways/bends slightly to the left. This is in the region where you'd see black bars for 2.35:1 movies. From what I read, this is pretty common and should be fixable via the service menu although geometry problems can be hard to fix completely. I haven't tried it yet largely because I don't really notice it during actual viewing--I only noticed it when I brought up a geometry/convergence grid. I might just leave it alone until I decide to reduce the overscan along w/ any other tweaks (like E-focus) during my vacation time a couple weeks from now.
Also, another common thing is a very slight picture tilt counter-clockwise. Again, this might be difficult to fix completely. And during actual viewing, I don't really notice it either.
Did you at least get the free recliner, DVD player and cables(!) intact? ;)
Hope it goes smoothly next time.
_Man_

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Did you at least get the free recliner, DVD player and cables(!) intact?
I got the DVD player and cables directly from the store, so they couldn't mess with those. ;) However, as far as the recliner goes, it looked like the delivery guys had played soccer with the box it came in before bringing it up. I would have been impressed if they had managed to damage that thing. Btw, the recliner is very nice.
Anyway, I'm going to be doing a lot of complaining tomorrow at BB with respect to how the delivery went. Hopefully they'll get it right next time. :rolleyes:
*crosses fingers for next delivery*

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes, you can get the tech to come fix it for you, if you prefer. For many of us, we'd rather just do it ourselves if we can handle it. :) The tilt thing may be a tough one unless the tech is highly competent, which is where the problem might come in w/ using a tech. In fact, this is partly why a lot of enthusiasts don't buy EW's.
Just make sure you keep a good eye on the tech when he does it. However, if you're going to do stuff like E-focus, you might as well do the other fixes yourself. :D
_Man_

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chris:

Listen up good. Insist that the delivery people handle the unit with care. Rolling the unit itself across anything other than your own floor is not acceptable. The RPTV is to remain inside its carton until inside your place. Then, when removing the carton (which I'd recommend that you do yourself), lift it above and over the RPTV.

Those jokers ruined what was probably a perfectly good TV.

Stand over the next set of clowns closely, and object the moment they start to do anything questionable.

You paid for a defect- and blemish-free RPTV.

JB

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Listen up good. Insist that the delivery people handle the unit with care. Rolling the unit itself across anything other than your own floor is not acceptable. The RPTV is to remain inside its carton until inside your place. Then, when removing the carton (which I'd recommend that you do yourself), lift it above and over the RPTV.
Those jokers ruined what was probably a perfectly good TV.
I'm probably going to say this verbatim tomorrow when I let them have it. :angry:

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Yeah, definitely return it.

I wouldn't use the set to experiment with the service menu, though. Just get it out of the house. Don't give them any excuse to give you grief.

Jan

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Well, they just delivered the replacement today IN THE BOX. So that was a relief. The cabinet is intact and all the geometry problems are gone.

Now I only have one problem. After seeing this tv, I now realize that the out-of-the-box picture on the damaged tv was INCREDIBLE. The difference between the two is night and day, which seems weird since it was the other one that got knocked around the most. I know it's nothing that a lot of tweaking can't solve, but it's still a little disappointing.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chris: Even different units of the same model can come with wildly different PQ adjustments from the factory. That new Tosh will end up looking every bit as good as the one the delivery guys ruined. Let us know how the picture looks when you're done. JB

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Doesn't take very much work to make it look INCREDIBLE. That's how my 53" Panny is/was. EFocus and MFocus will make a huge difference. As will 64 point convergence.
Set your brightness/color/contrast etc... with Avia first. Then set Video NR to 'on' and S(VM) to 'off'. Do the basic user 9 point convergence first and let the tv "break in" for 100-150 hours. Then...... LET THE TWEAKING BEGIN :D

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
I already did the 9-point and EFocus. I'm still waiting for Avia to arrive from DDD. Should I have let the tv break in before doing the EFocus? I plan to try MFocus this weekend, so let me know.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I don't think it really matters. Maybe Michael or Gregg could chime in on that one, since they're the experts.

Some people like to do a EFocus touch up after doing MFocus. That's how I did it - E, M, E. I'd let the tv break in before really doing any geometry and convergence though.

In the meantime, get that manual off the panny.tv site and study up!

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished doing E, M, and then E again. One thing I just noticed when I was playing Toy Story 2 afterwards - on the bright Pixar logo screen at the beginning, you can clearly see a few scuff marks at the top. It has to be on the inside because I tried cleaning them off. Would it be ok to go inside and wipe a soft cloth along that area or would that not be a good idea?

I'm a perfectionist and I know most of you guys are, too. If this isn't fixable, then back it goes again.

I'll try to post pictures later tonight.

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
Are the marks small, light greyish marks that can only be seen on a light screen (like white or yellow)? They all have the same basic curve to them? Toward the center of the top of the screen? Those probably aren't scuff marks, it's residue inside the screens.

I had the same problem on 4 different sets (three from CC and one from BB)all had the same type of marks at the top, one even had them in the center on the right side of the screen. There was also a few people over on the home theater spot that had the same issue - it definitely seems like something is wrong at the factory... I had a tech out and he took the set apart and cleaned between the fresnal and lenticular screens - the marks are gone. Panasonic will cover the cleaning under warranty so you should give them a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks