What's new

Just bought my first new car!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, I have been posting on and off about my car woes. I was (actually still am) driving an 88 acura legend with ~180,000 miles, no A/C, rust, and a bad C/V joint. I was having a really hard time finding what I wanted in a car at a price I could afford. Also, since we just bought a house and are still making payments on her car, I was having trouble convincing my fiance that I needed a new car sooner than later (especially since I am going to be traveling by air for work quite a bit this summer). Anyway, I wanted a wagon and I was doing a lot of "magazine racing" as they call it, and trying to rule out cars that I thought wouldnt be enough fun to drive, etc. Well, I was pretty much ready to rule out the Mazda Protege 5 because of its low horsepower engine but I kept reading these comparison reviews where it finished first because it was just plain the most fun to drive. So I took a shock yellow 5spd manual out for a test drive yesterday afternoon, and took my fiance back to the dealer and bought the car last night (not the one I test drove, it didnt have the right options, mine's black.

No, its not WRX fast, but with just a better air filter I'm sure you could pull mid 8s 0-60 and it already feels pretty quick 0-45 wich is more practical for city drivers... its so nimble. I need to work on my shifting, because I had some problems merging (ie 35-65+mph) during the test drive, but that was my fault not the cars. Got about every option except the Automatic (of course) the "chrome wheels" (like the brushed aluminum better) the security system (dont need it in omaha) and the leather seats (black leather in Nebraska summers just doesnt apeal to me). Anyway, since it was fairly loaded but with a stick (+ the car's still a compact econo car and most of them arent tricked out) they had to get the car from Columbus MO. I will take delivery sometime between tomorrow and Friday. I'm so pumped. I might throw in a K&N air filter, but otherwise, it has to stay stock. Any advice on how to squeeze a little more horesepower out with really cheap, non-obtrusive mods?

Darren H

Second Unit
Last fall I bought a 2000 Nissan Sentra. Not being a car guy, all I wanted was something that would be reliable and cost-efficient. About three weeks after I bought it I saw the Protege wagon for the first time, and I've had buyer's remorse ever since. Such a cool little car. Enjoy it.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Two years ago I bought my first car: a 2001 330Ci BMW convertible. It was basically the car I dreamed about ever since I was 16 ... stunning. I remember the dealer handing me the keys and everyone in the lot staring at me (or the car rather). I promptly got in and proceeded to stall in front of everyone. The downside to not having driven stick in 5 years I guess... Ah well... :b

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
I just bought my first new car about 2 months ago. I ordered it in October of 2001 and got it mid April 2002!
I look forward to going ANYWHERE now :)
Enjoy it and take care of it! Congrats!

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Gratz Charles!
Daniel, that's a nice looking Beemer :)
Later this year I'll be getting my first new car, an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, I can't wait!
Brian

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Congrats on the new car, it's a great feeling.
When trying to increase horsepower, you've got to pay to play. A K&N filter won't give you any noticable power increase, but a cold-air intake might - especially when combined with a chip and exhaust. With that combo you could expect maybe 15 more HP. You might be able to find these items for a few hundred each.

For any substantial power increase, you'd have to go with forced induction.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, I did some research about K&N and even if I get the manufacturers claimed increase, I could expect 2-3 hp. Thats why I had make sure the car was acceptable as is. It isnt really my dream car, but I could get three P5s for the price of my dream Audi S6. :) I guess I was willing to trade off a little accelleration for the handling. This car is sweet for its price class.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I guess I was willing to trade off a little accelleration for the handling.
And the handling, I'm sure, is excellent. The sedan version (MP3) was just in Road&Track's (I think) big handling shootout. It was compared against cars like the M3, Boxter, 911TT, and Ferrari Modena. I've yet to drive one, but for it to be included with that group of cars is quite a feat.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Thanks for all the comments and compliments guys. Waiting to take delivery is killing me. Especially since one of the big pushes for getting the car sooner was the lack of A/C in my current car. Of course the fact that its high 80s and 99.99999999999999% humidity the last week I'm driving my current car will just make the new car that much sweeter. I cant wait to take it out on some of the bendy highways in west Omaha and over the Bluffs in Council Bluffs Iowa where my fiance's parents live. I have actually been scouting out roads for the last month or so. How sad!?

AviTevet

Stunt Coordinator
Wagons are the ****! Enjoy the new car :). Wish I had gotten the WRX wagon instead of the sedan :frowning:. Next time I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks