What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Johnny Mnemonic Superbit Vs. Regular (1 Viewer)

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
I caught Johnny Mnemonic on TBS the other night and now I must have this campy sci-fi flick. The trouble I am curious which version is the best. I have heard that the regular edition (which is also cheap) has a few extra features on the disc, while the superbit edition has no features. I am just wondering about the picture quality. I am aware that sometimes superbit dvd's don't provide a tremendous overhaul in picture quality and I am curious how both versions fair. I have also heard that in canada the regular edition only comes in fullscreen. Any opinions would be helpful.

J

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
Hey! Another Johnny Mmemonic fan! That must make 2 of us in the world!!
I always loved this wee film and never understood why it got so slated. As far as the DVD goes, I'd got the regular R1 release ages back and upgraded to the European Superbit (R2) release last year. I don't think there's any real extras on the regular release...maybe a trailer but i can't remember. The Superbit version isn't leaps and bounds in terms of quality difference but its a slight improvement over the regular one so I'd say that was the one to go for.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

For me that's not worth 4x the price..I got the $5 version.

Maybe someday I'll get around to watching it...

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw

Yeah...I think most of my DVD collection is made up with titles like this...by the time I get to them they'll be in the $5.00 BRD/HD-DVD bin.

Is this movie any good? Everyone I've talked to says it sucks...I guess it's one of those love 'em or hate 'em movies.

Mike

Frank@N

Screenwriter

If you say so, but most reviews of SB titles seem to indicate minimal differences.

Might be due to C/T using same transfer and just re-encoding it at a slightly higher bit rate.

To me, SB stands for ScamBit (just my 2C, I don't own a single one).

But I do buy cheap used copies of the original pre-SB release when other people 'trade up'.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Superbit versions of Johnny Mnemonic and Desperado featured new transfers, in addition to the Superbit process. Both of these DVDs offer marked improvements over the original DVD releases, even without taking into consideration the gains in fine detail that Superbit provides when viewing the title in question on larger displays, such as Front Projectors.

- Walter.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Another fan here. Michael, if you're not a cyberpunk fan, I would avoid it. Some of the tech slang is a bit dated and the film spins a bit out of control toward the end. As a William Gibson fan, it automatically receives 1 star before the credits even roll. There's something about authors like K. Dick and Gibson that film makers just can't seem to interpret to screen.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Johnny Mnemonic was my very first DVD. I love the movie from beginning to end.
I have the SB & regular version. Guess which one gets played. I'd highly recommend the SB if only for the audio. I don't believe either had any special features.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Because I can't even give it away :D

Not sure why I still have it. Low resell on this title.
Plus it was my first DVD. Sentimental value?

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
I found the R4 Japanese Extended cut ;)
(I read somewhere that this is the one William Gibson prefers, bty)
(It's called JM : Johnny Mnemonic)
It adds a lot, but the Japanese parts are not subtitled. However if you've seen the film a few times you pretty much know what they are saying.
It has a cooler cover as well... but like most R4's from the time it's in a Jewelcase!

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Wow there are more Johnny Mnemonic fans out there then I anticipated. Well since I finally have a widescreen tv the superbit version seems to be the way to go. Someone was telling me that they remembered the original addition having a featurette and trailers.....I just want to make sure that the suberbit does in fact have a 5.1 dolby digital audio track to accompany the DTS track.

Zen I am totally the same when it comes to k dick. It's all about having an effective point system :D

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I think the difference or improvement one sees with Superbits is directly related to the size and proper calibration of one's display. On my 61" ISF'd RPTV, the improvement with Superbit is evident. I can imagine the difference being that much more dramatic on a large front display. However, I imagine those with a 27" display, for example, would be very hard pressed to see any difference.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor

I know I just said this what yesterday? (regarding why I have both versions)
An ex-girlfriend of mine called today looking to buy movies, got $5.00 out of it.
So much for my sentimental values :laugh:

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'd upgrade if I could get the SB at a decent price. Unfortunately, that's the case with most SB's. Desperado, Starship Troopers, etc.

I see no reason regular SB's should cost more than SE versions that have extras. The Superbit Deluxe I can understand.

Of course, now that I know there is an extended version I'll be pissed if I can't get that version some day.

I must know: Is there more Dolph?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks