What's new

Joan Crawford Centennial Collection See Post#25 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am sorry that both the Davis and Crawford sets contain many previously released movies which I already own and therefore I can't take advantage of the boxed sets.

I have to assume that since Warners does not release classic films without doing some type of restoration that
the films that we would like to see from Crawford's MGM period need work and are not ready for release. I hope that Warner knows that these box sets might not sell as well as others because of fans like me who own the already released films and therefore have no reason to buy these sets.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The new releases are also being issued individually for a very reasonable price. (Usually around $13 at an online retailer). Consumers have a choice of buying the boxed set and trading in, giving away, or selling their old versions...or they can just buy the single discs of the titles they don't already own.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I too have noticed that there are very few early 1930's MGM catalog titles coming from Warner. They seem to be milking the 1940's Warner Brothers catalog, probably because the elements are in better shape - This is only a guess. Hence, the absence of early Crawford, Gable, and only TWO Jean Harlow titles so far (No, I am not including "The Public Enemy"), in which a few have complained about the condition of "Libeled Lady." Perhaps these films need some sort of elaborate restoration? I couldn't believe that Warner is simply ignoring these titles. It may take awhile for some of these titles to appear. The task would be daunting for Warner. For example, if a Harlow/Gable boxset were to appear, they would have to be all new and previously unreleased. Warner wouldn't have the luxury of adding previously released titles in a set since there are none! Look how long it took the Flynn set to appear. I hope that we do start seeing the early 1930's DVD's for Harlow, Gable, Crawford, Shearer, etc, in 2006.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Just picked this and the Davis set up at a Canadian store. Thought they didn't come out until next week, but I'm happy to have them now:) - intact, unedited, identical to the American releases! Now I just don't know what to watch first.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
How can this thread be two pages long and no one has mentioned...
TROG?

C'mon, I love Joan as much as anyone. Heck, I did NOT want to like her films, but if you love classic cinema, at some point you're going to have to include both Bette and Joan in your DVD library.

Anyway, Trog is so horribly wonderful. I really wish it was on DVD....why was this never MST3K'd???

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
All jokes aside, this is one *()(*&*^ magnificent boxed set!

I don't have it yet.

I wish I did.

But a pal who reviews DVDs for a famous national magazine has let me peruse it on Sunday.

First, MILDRED PIERCE and THE WOMEN are the same, bountiful, extras-filled magnificent discs they were initially, with gorgeous transfers. Only now, they are rid of that snapper case, and in a handsome keepcase.

But most importantly, we get amazing nnew beautiful transfers of HUMORESQUE, POSSSESED (1947) and a title that was never on legit homevideo before THE DAMNED DON'T CRY(1950). Each film looks amazing, and Crawford fans are sure to be blown away by the impressive presentation and value added material.

Those Warner folks are beyond compare. Outstanding!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks