What's new

JBL S310 VS Athena AS-F2 (1 Viewer)

Shane K

Agent
I am in the process of upgrading my speaker system and want to start with the fronts. I am just curious if anyone has thoughts, comments, and opinions on JBL Studio compared to Athena Audition series equipment.

Usage will be roughly 50/50 music and movies run by a Harman Kardon AVR525 Receiver.

Thanks for the input,
Kinger

SherriK

Auditioning
What speakers did you decide on? I just got the
hk525 and am trying to decide what speakers.
Mine is for 50/50 music too.
Can only afford front and center now and am
considering jbls.
Thanks, Sherri

MarkMaximus

Stunt Coordinator
Best buy has both JBL and Athena set ups. When I went to audition I went with JBL. Athena's mains (L/R) I thought were better, but JBL's package as a whole sounded better than the athena's entire package. (I hope that made sense) If I were saying that you were going purely music, I would go Athena with a decent sub, but since its 50/50 I can't say.. Once again, this is all personal taste, so just go to BB and check it out. Better deals can definately be found online, however. It also depends on how much money you are going to spend, JBL's higher priced E models sound really nice (E90) I think they even sound better than my S310's Those 2 10" woofers really produce a clean clean sound. JBL has always been revered for a very flat SPL reading across the scale. The metal tweeters sound nice, I play my music loud every day. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to PM.

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
forget that whole bit that mark just mentioned. don't go to bestbuy to audition speakers, you won't get the idea of what the speakers will sound like at home and they won't sound anywhere nearly as "spatious" since they use sound fields. in addition to that, the "higher priced" E series is a lower line than the S series, but since they're newer.. the price is higher. E series are the same as the Northridge series, with a new make-over.

i have the s38's, and i can't say that i'm more than pleased with them. i use them for music and movies, and they sound better and better day by day. i can only imagine what the s310's would sound like compared to these. now don't go expecting the best when you buy the S series, cos they sure as hell aren't.. but they are well up there.

also, jbl will be coming out with a redesigned S series in a bit, if you want to wait. not sure how they'll turn out though.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I have the 310 II's for mains and am very happy with them. I was more impressed with their bass output than anything. There are obviously better speakers out there, but not at the price of the S series. Along with what Edwin said, the S series is now discontinued and if you want them, you better look pretty quick because they won't be around long.

SherriK

Auditioning
Thank you for your input. Please see new
thread (Speaker questions for new HK525)
for more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks