What's new

JBL S series tweeter question (2 Viewers)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I had a question about the tweeter used on the JBL studio series speakers. Does anybody know if the plastic bands in front of the tweeter serve any purpose other than protecting the tweeter from being pushed in? Are they part of the EOS waveguide?

The reason I ask is that I am considering snipping them off when I do my crossover mods. I just don't like the idea of that much plastic (and it is quite a lot) between the tweeter and my ear. I know whenever I see hi-end speakers with dome tweeters the dome is always completely exposed with nothing guarding it.

Has anybody tried removing the plastic? If I did it would it make the speaker too bright, or the highs much more directional?

Thanks!

Mark

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

By just reviewing the JBL LSR Pro Studio Monitor's Titanium Composite 1" dome vs. the JBL S-Series 1" Pure Titanium dome, it seems that the plastic finger guard is just that, ... a plastic finger guard. They are not part of the EOS waveguide - see JBL LSR Pro Studio Monitor images.

Since the finger guard does not impact the speaker's ability to reach ...

1) 20 kHz (-3.8 dB - Sound & Vision S38 Objective Benchmark),

2) and have the widest bandwidth frequency responses when measured from all angles, ...

3) or imaging qualities, ...

... I'd recommend just leaving it there, ... for the basic logical reason, ... to make sure that wandering fingers don't touch or push in your dome tweeter. But it's your choice if you want to clip it off!

Phil

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I just heard back from Harman Audio parts and they told me that the tweeter cover/waveguide piece is available for $12.50 each. So I think I will try this since the worst that could happen is I am out $25 if I find the results to be poor.

I will do all my other upgrades/mods first, listen to the speaker for a while, then try this. That way I my results will not be as confounded.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks