upcoming James Bond Blu-ray releases for 2012 made
on January 10th at Cedia.

588acfb7_bondann.jpeg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Every Day there is news about more classic titles being released in Blu-ray for 2012. This could end up being the golden year for titles.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to see the announcement won't be long in coming. Another couple of weeks, and we should know the game plan for the year.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I suppose it's unlikely, but I sure hope I won't have to buy previous Bonds on blu to get the unreleased ones.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Ronald Epstein said:
There will be a major announcement concerning the
upcoming James Bond Blu-ray releases for 2012 made
on January 10th at Cedia.

588acfb7_bondann.jpeg
Wonderful news! Looking forward to a box set of all of the films on blu ray for the 50th anniversary of Dr. No!
Plus the new film in November!

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
This is very cool and about time. :)

I grew-up with James Bond, it will be great to have all the movies once again.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Honestly, I can't imagine how they'll make something like DR. NO or FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE better, audio and visually speaking. If they do, that's great, and if its a huge difference I'll gladly buy it, but unless its a massive improvement somehow or it has like, the single best Blu-ray packaging ever, I won't be rebuying anything I already have. I am looking forward to stuff like GOLDENEYE that isn't out on Blu yet, though.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60 /t/303278/james-bond-on-bd#post_3881203
Honestly, I can't imagine how they'll make something like DR. NO or FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE better, audio and visually speaking. If they do, that's great, and if its a huge difference I'll gladly buy it, but unless its a massive improvement somehow or it has like, the single best Blu-ray packaging ever, I won't be rebuying anything I already have. I am looking forward to stuff like GOLDENEYE that isn't out on Blu yet, though.
I'm with you. I have bought the Bond films more often than just about any other movies (apart from maybe The Wizard of Oz). I am completely satisfied with the way most of them look, so it would take something monumental to get me to invest in them again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MattAlbie60 said:
I've been saying it forever but they're crazy if they don't put out the unreleased movies on their own or at least in a set without any of the previously released movies. The Blu-rays must not have sold as well as they wanted or they wouldn't have sat on the rest of the series for so long and basically forcing people to rebuy the same movies yet again probably isn't going to increase sales.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
It will be just like EON to squeze very half-penny they can out of the fans.
All I want are You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and Diamonds Are Forever.
If I have to buy the other titles to get them, I probably will.
6918dc1e_YOLT1967-UA-sixsheet.jpeg

7e2a19cc_OHMSS1969-UA-sixsheet-autographed.jpeg

e494d0f9_DAF1971-UA-sixsheet.jpeg

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Richard--W said:
It will be just like EON to squeze very half-penny they can out of the fans.
All I want are You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and Diamonds Are Forever.
If I have to buy the other titles to get them, I probably will.
6918dc1e_YOLT1967-UA-sixsheet.jpeg

7e2a19cc_OHMSS1969-UA-sixsheet-autographed.jpeg

e494d0f9_DAF1971-UA-sixsheet.jpeg
I'm with you in wanting those first two and possibly Diamonds if available separately or in combination with the other two. Otherwise, I have the one's I wanted most on BR and the rest in the ultimate DVD collection, which is good enough for me.
But given past history, I see these as coming back out in mixed sets once again with new packaging and a few more extra's, or the statement of another re-encoding at least to try and sway people to repurchase. Maybe later they will release the singles for those that wait.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
smithb said:
I'm with you in wanting those first two and possibly Diamonds if available separately or in combination with the other two. Otherwise, I have the one's I wanted most on BR and the rest in the ultimate DVD collection, which is good enough for me.
But given past history, I see these as coming back out in mixed sets once again with new packaging and a few more extra's, or the statement of another re-encoding at least to try and sway people to repurchase. Maybe later they will release the singles for those that wait.
OHMSS is my all time favorite and must have in the best condition possible.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
smithb said:
OHMSS is my all time favorite and must have in the best condition possible.
It would be my favorite if it weren't for the daffy wardrobe. Carnaby Street for Bond, Doris Day for Tracy. My wife used to giggle over his ruffled collars & cuffs and her "floral patterns".
I have the Ultimate Collection DVD sets, but I only watch the first 7 films in the series. You had to buy four box-sets to get the first 7 Bond films. You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever are problematic, but I enjoy them up to a point. My interest in Bond films on Blu-ray does not extend beyond the 1971 film.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Richard--W said:
It would be my favorite if it weren't for the daffy wardrobe.
Seriously?! Bollocks. :P
I'm with those clamoring for a Blu-ray of OHMSS and I'll be peeved as well if I need to re-buy / buy films I do not want just to get it.
Great write-up on OHMSS by my pal Mr. Peel.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I imagine these will be the same masters created by Lowry several years ago for the DVDs. MGM must have spent some coin on that and I don't see them doing them all over again.
The ones I've seen (Dr No, From Russia With Love, Goldeneye, Thunderball, Live and Let Die) look OK but I think they went way overboard with the grain reduction. They are sharp as hell but they don't look like film anymore.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Richard--W said:
It would be my favorite if it weren't for the daffy wardrobe. Carnaby Street for Bond, Doris Day for Tracy. My wife used to giggle over his ruffled collars & cuffs and her "floral patterns".
I have the Ultimate Collection DVD sets, but I only watch the first 7 films in the series. You had to buy four box-sets to get the first 7 Bond films. You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever are problematic, but I enjoy them up to a point. My interest in Bond films on Blu-ray does not extend beyond the 1971 film.
Jon Hertzberg said:
Seriously?! Bollocks. :P
Yeah, seriously.
I knew OHMSS was a special Bond film when I first saw it in 1973 supporting the second-run of Diamonds Are Forever. It's the most sophisticated and faithful adaptation of Ian Fleming, a superior Bond film and superior cinema. I enjoy Lazenby's Bond. I watch it often. But the wardrobe is on the misguided side of bug-hunting nuts.
Jon Hertzberg said:
I'm with those clamoring for a Blu-ray of OHMSS and I'll be peeved as well if I need to re-buy / buy films I do not want just to get it.
Great write-up on OHMSS by my pal Mr. Peel.
That's a fine essay, Mirrors my own thoughts. Thanks for posting the link.
I only want the first seven films on Blu-ray, and I have four of those already. I'm content with Ultimate Collection DVDs for the others.
e5392f35_OHMSS1970-UA-FrenchTwoPanel.jpeg

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If anyone is going to this CES event and they allow audience questions, that might be an ideal time to ask Mr. Campbell about the framing of the current GoldenEye master. It is noticeably cropped on all four sides. This is in comparison to the old video transfer and even a recent theatrical screening.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Scott Calvert said:
I imagine these will be the same masters created by Lowry several years ago for the DVDs. MGM must have spent some coin on that and I don't see them doing them all over again.
The ones I've seen (Dr No, From Russia With Love, Goldeneye, Thunderball, Live and Let Die) look OK but I think they went way overboard with the grain reduction. They are sharp as hell but they don't look like film anymore.
I'm in agreement. They skimmed the top off the cream. An acquaintance owns lovely 35mm dye-transfer prints of some of the original Bonds, including Thunderball. He says the Lowry restorations look like videotape and refuses to watch them. It would have been nice if Lowry had stopped just short of grain removal when they did the clean up. Still, Dr. No looks better on Blu-ray than I've ever seen it, and I've seen damaged and dirty prints projected more times than I count. I wish they'd put the grain back in, however.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Richard--W said:
Yeah, seriously. I knew OHMSS was a special Bond film when I first saw it in 1973 supporting the second-run of Diamonds Are Forever. It's the most sophisticated and faithful adaptation of Ian Fleming, a superior Bond film and superior cinema. I enjoy Lazenby's Bond. I watch it often.
On this we agree. I just never fixated quite as much on the wardrobe selection.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Stop it, will you.
I notice, but I don't fixate.
There was always something in OHMSS that distracted me and I could never pin down what it was until I asked my wife why she was giggling. If my PC did not prevent screen captures and such I would show you where the wardrobe goes over the deep end. But you will notice that yourself next time you watch it. It's my most wanted Bond film on Blu-ray.
e0222e41_OHMSS1970-UA-quad.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks